early US dual-liners?
(1/2) > >>
Flying Fish:
As some of you know, I'm interested in the history of kites, especially early dual-liners. In the UK, in the 1970s, we saw Peter Powell bring dual-line kite-flying to the masses, and very soon after Dunford Flying Machines and Cambridge Combats came on the market. These last two didn't leave any 'descendents', but the Peter Powell Stunter was soon followed by a host of similar kites (e.g. Barnstormer, Red Arrow, Aero-Kite, Skite, etc).

What happened in the US? Did it also start with Peter Powell? And if so, what came on the market in its wake? I know of the Glite which would have preceded the PP, and I know of the Trlby, which I assume came a bit later, but what other US-made dual-line kites were on the market in the 1970s?
mikenchico:

Over here in the 70's I've seen mention that we had 17 models available by the late 1970's, these are the ones I've been able to confirm through old articles and advertisements. Peter Powell's, Dunton's, Sky Cat's, Sky Tiger's, Wind Jammer's, Sky-Ro-Gyro's, Aerobat's, Marble Head Stunt Kites, Dynotrol's, Flexifoil's, Rainbow's, Skynasaur's, Glite's, Hi Flier's Super Stunter, and Spectra Star had 3 stunt kite models. A couple more possibly available in the 1970's but for sure in the early 1980's were the Hyperkite's & Dynakites.

Didn't the Dunford predate the Peter Powell?

Flying Fish:
Great stuff; thanks!!

Didn't the Dunford predate the Peter Powell?

The thorny issue ... I'm trying to get specific information on that from both Peter Powell and Cochranes (who marketed the Dunford FM). What seems certain is that the Dunford FM was developed prior to the PP, but the little bit of info I have so far suggests that it came on the market very soon after Peter Powell became successful. If that indeed proves correct, who came first depends on what stage you pick: development or sales.
mikenchico:
We also had the Sky Command Remote Control Stunt Kite by Remco available in 1969, same year the Glite came out.

I see Hyperkite's and TRLBY's (Ace in England) first mentioned in 1981, Then in October of 1982 I see Don Tabor holding what appears to be a Hawaiian at the AKA convention in Detroit.

Would you be interested in the Forum's Sport Kite History as narrated by Al Hargus? There's also a history by Ron Reich available in the archives at Kitelife.com or from me. Or pic's of those first stunters from 1969, the Glite's or Sky Commander's?

Flying Fish:
Definite 'yes' to all those sources / photos you mention! Please, let me know how to get them.

Sky Command Remote Control Stunt Kite

I assume 'remote control' doesn't mean radio / wireless here?

I do have a Glite, by the way, but am not familiar with the Sky Command.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page