GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 02:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! a Sixth Sense  (Read 2508 times)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: October 07, 2013, 08:31 PM »

I bit the bullet, ditched the clutch motor on my sewing table and fitted a servo motor.

WOW! What a difference.  I should have spend the money years ago!

I had to give it a thorough test, so what better way than making a sport kite from scratch. - Here is my budget Sixth Sense... 4 hours from start to finish

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:30 PM »

Nice motor guv.. the kite looks good as well

Was it expensive?

Mike
KaoS

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Nice motor guv.. the kite looks good as well

Was it expensive?

Mike

Define expensive!  Grin

I thought it was good value for the $330 (delivered)

Kevin Sanders

coogee

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46 AM »

Yep that sounds good, I have been thinking it is the way to go. Gotta be cheaper to run as well. Not turning over all the time. Quiet when you are not sewing as well.

Mike
alien

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 02:45 AM »

Nice,
hot kite  Tongue
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 03:05 AM »

nice way to spend 4 hrs.  great looking kite

what sewing machine do you have attached to that servo?
SparkieRob

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20 AM »

Servo motors are definitely the bees knees, never new you could get them for a sewing machine! Cool.

Great kite too Kev. Nice colours as well.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 07:32 AM »

what will the servo do over a clutch? (sorry a biologist here not mechanically inclined)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 08:13 AM »

what will the servo do over a clutch? (sorry a biologist here not mechanically inclined)

I'm a computer scientist and I'm also lost in this matter.
I would also like to know what you are talking about with this servo motor and the sewing machine  Huh

And also +1 on the kite!  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Clutch vs. Servo

Quick Blog Post I pulled for your reading delight!

Industrial sewing machines are equipped with one of two types of sewing machine motors: the Servo motor, and the Clutch motor. Here’s some advice on which one is best for you and your sewing projects.

Servo Motor

The two major advantages of the Servo sewing motor are that you can control the speed of the motor and that they are completely silent when the pedal is not engaged.

Some other advantages include:

» They consume up to 90% less energy than clutch motors
» 1/3 lighter than clutch motors
» Reverse motor rotation with the flick of a switch
» Nothing to wear or adjust
» Adjusted speed remains the same no matter how hard the pedal is pressed

Many of our customers find that the sewing machine is much easier to control with a Servo motor because of the speed control. This is especially helpful for beginner sewers but also for projects that simply don’t require high speed stitching.

The standard Servo motor can feature 1/2HP, 3/4HP or 4/5HP, which provide different degrees of torque.

The Techsew SmartServo motor is the only motor that features 4/5HP and has 18 different speed settings between 100 and 1800 RPM. Changing your sewing speed is simple with the touch of a button and the current speed is displayed on the bright digital screen.

Clutch Motor

Clutch motors
are typically used in manufacturing of clothing, upholstery and other trades which require high speed sewing for a high volume of production. The speed of a clutch motor is not controllable however clutch motors do provide a consistent speed and often feature enough torque to sew through thick materials.

Clutch motors are available in 1725 RPM and 3450RPM, 1/2HP or 3/4HP.

For beginning or amateur sewers, or for projects that require slower stitching speeds, I recommend the use of a Servo motor. However, for sewers who do not mind faster sewing speeds and require the highest possible sewing volume, a clutch motor is a suitable alternative.

RaphaelSewing.com

KaoS

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:04 PM »

To control sewing speed on a clutch motor, you slip the clutch.  If you want to sew slowly you slip the clutch a lot, if you want to sew fast you don't slip the clutch.  The clutch works the other way round from a car.  In other words, on a car if you want the wheels to stop being driven (i.e. turning) while the motor is running, you press on the clutch.  Otherwise, the default configuration has the motor driving the wheels.

On a sewing machine clutch motor, the default is the other way round.  The motor is spinning at maximum revs all the time but it isn't driving the machine UNTIL you depress the clutch pedal.  Depress the pedal a little, the machine starts to turn while the clutch slips a lot.  Depress the pedal a bit more, the clutch grabs a bit more (slips less) and the machine turns faster, and so on.    To achieve the disengaged state ( motor running, sewing machine not turning), the spring tension on the clutch has to be quite firm.  Overcoming this spring tension takes a reasonable amount of effort.  "Feathering the clutch" to achieve low sewing speed can be difficult, and for long periods when you are NOT sewing at maximum speed it can be very tiring on your leg and ankle.

The servo motor I have purchased is electronically controlled.  Press the pedal down a bit, the motor turns slowly, press down a bit more, the motor runs a bit faster, and so on until maximum speed is reached.  Pedal return spring pressure is a lot lower than on a clutch motor, so effort is a lot less.  The electronic controller on mine allows for lowest speed and highest speed to be set to whatever I want (and changed whenever I want.  Also, the rate at which the speed increases can be tailored too.  So I can have a long amount of pedal movement while only having a gentle climb in sewing speed, or I can have it set to go from slow to fast almost immediately (and any setting in between).

Cheaper (older design) servo motors have a dial to set the sewing speed, and no other options.  They have limited torque at lower revs and it is difficult to sew slowly through thick fabrics.  Modern servo motors (like the one I bought)  have high torque all the way through the rev range, mine allows me to sew through a few layers of seat belt webbing at the rate of 1 stitch per 3 seconds quite easily.

Kevin Sanders

KaoS

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:05 PM »

what sewing machine do you have attached to that servo?

Bernina 950

Kevin Sanders

Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23 PM »

looking good!

what is the framing, you said lowbudget somewhere?
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 12:03 AM »

Soooooo... Kevin, how many kites per hour are you expecting to manufacture?
 Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 03:14 AM »

Wow...thank you....
How much refitting of everything did you have to do to put it in? Does that Bernina have its motor external of its case already?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum