GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Dodd Gross Kite I Like?? Dream On  (Read 3852 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 30, 2009, 05:48 PM »

There are 3 sport kites in the Skydog fleet with an 86" wingspan. I have not flown the highest aspect ratio Sweet Emotion, but the other 2 (Dream On ($120) and Cross Fire ($140)) are competent performers with pretty good quality control and low price points.

I have previously flown the Cross Fire and commented on its flying, tricking and construction starting here:

Yesterday, I flew the Dream On for about an hour:

Winds: 5-10 mph
Temp: 90F
Humidity: Fairly Low, just a few clouds
Altitude: 2300 feet
Lineset: 75' x 100# (not the lineset that comes with the kite)

The Dream On sells for $20 less than the Cross Fire. You don't get the very clean nose design or the tail weights, but the kite is similar in size, shape and standoff position. And if you like rainbow kites, you're in luck as this kite has 7 different shades across the spectrum with black interspersed.

I flew the kite with all stock settings.

Flight: The kite was totally silent at all wind speeds and even with aggressive tugs through the power zone. The kite was solid and quick with moderate pull. Corners were sharp with small inputs. Spin radius is tight. I prefer kites like that as spin stalls to tricks are fun. Just flying the kite was a kick. I thought the kite flew slightly better than the Cross Fire. Perhaps it was the lack of tail weights and the extra bridle line on the leading edge midway between the 2 normal positions which kept the LE from deforming under load. The bridle is on a short turbo leg setting.

Tricks: There are no yoyo stoppers and the nose did snag a couple of times. But a simple scissor snip would take care of the nose snags. I mention the stoppers as the kite will yoyo fairly easily, even without weights. Of course, then I couldn't fly the kite as the lines slid along the LE down to near the wingtips. Cascades were very nice. Backspins, axels, flic-flacs, slot machines, straight forward although the balance of the kite felt a little off on the flic-flacs. 540s felt odd as did the JL type moves. I didn't try to add any weight, but I'm guessing maybe 5-10 gms would make the kite behave more like its weighted sibling, the Cross Fire.

Construction: There are a few closeups showing sewing details. The nose does need a little pruning as it is not nearly as nice as the more expensive Cross Fire.

When I spoke with Jim Cosca at KP7 about these kites, he was most excited about the Dream On and predicted it would be their big seller. I can see why. For the money, you get a fair amount of kite.

One more thing. While I was getting the timing on the flic-flacs, I had a pretty solid lawn dart. Both lower spreaders came out of the center-T, the sail opened up to absorb the energy, and the kite sat there waiting for me. All I had to do was pop the LSs back into the T and start flying again. So you get some energy absorption built in as well.

Nice job Dodd and Skydog. I'm looking forward to trying the higher aspect ratio Sweet Emotion.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:02 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:05 AM »

hey big brother - do you still have the pics in this review and can you link to them? Kiss
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29 PM »

Judging by the date this would have been Kite Party 7.

Several photos start here:

But the model has proved popular. There are a few more photos from KTAI this year starting here:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:31 PM by chilese » Logged

Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40 PM »

John thanks for recording the evolution of the sail.  Interesting to see the change in pattern.
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:47 AM »

and thanks from me big brother - nice pics

very nice

and a browse thru the rest over a coffee very much a pleasure
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23 AM »

Grin   Tongue    Cool
Thanks for making my next addition easy,love the look of it and i must have it on looks alone.
Ive been dreaming about it and my dealer has it in stock and at that(same over here price) i can have it now and live the dream!
Thanks for the review.......... Cool
John Lutter

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 08:13 AM »

I believe that second picture by John C. that Dodd is holding over his head is the "Lil Dreamer"... its a bit smaller than the Dream On and faster.

The Dream On sail design hasn't changed, except they also offer it in White.

John Lutter
Chief Kite Pusher @ Kite Stop (http://www.kitestop.com)
President @ American Kitefliers Association (http://kite.org)
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29 AM »

David, how did you even find a post over 4 years old to reply too?  Smiley

skb
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 12:36 PM »

Is that a glue failure on the top spreader's stoppers, looks like the LE material ripped.
How much wind was he flying it in or was it Lawn Darted with extreme prejudice?

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43 PM »

Wow, you're eyes are amazing.

I had to blow that up to full size to see it.

Couldn't tell you about lawn darts. I was running around (walking actually).  Smiley

skb
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:50 PM »

Wait a minute... I'm forgetting how Physics works.
In a Lawn Dart, the spreaders are forced up the LE and not down.  Undecided

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 07:54 AM »

This kite is a great value. 6mm Carbon fiber frame, Descent construction, nice flying control over the kite and been able to perform tricks. The only thing i don't like to much is the sun-rainbow color design.

I had a chance to try one a few months back. and had my camera with me so I Recorder it. I agree with you John. In flight, it behaved pretty much like you described it in your post.

Here is the video.
Dream On

Thanks.
alien

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:48 AM »

Hey..... Huh
how come mine wont fly that good?
Hot flying jorge........ Tongue
I love the rainbow design....... Kiss
Great video and post,thanks.
Its not me its the kite.......... Sad
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 04:51 PM »

alien.
Keep practicing...
Don't give up and your kite will fly better than mine  Smiley

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography