GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 04:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedwing style kite ?  (Read 1319 times)
NWFlyer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 11, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Wondering if any of you kitemakers have ever tried to make a Speedwing style kite?  My Dad has one that he's guessing is 20 yrs old and it's in kind of rough shape from use in pretty high winds with some crashing.  It looks pretty simple from the photos he's sent and is sending me, but I'd like to try to replicate that for him with some newer materials.  For example, it it a vinyl tube nose on it and an unusual bridle.  Looks to be about a 42" span and maybe 18" deep so it's kind of an elongated Delta shape.  Anyone tried to make one of these before?

Thanks,
NWFlyer
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:38 AM »

Are you looking for something like THIS ?

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
NWFlyer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:31 AM »

Yes, that's the style of the kite although a "Super" must be a larger version of this kite than my Dad has.  I'm sure I can scale down the dimensions from this and be off and running, so this is a big help.  Thanks for the assistance tracking this down.  I hadn't spent any time yet doing an internet search  - figured this kite was old enough that it would be tough to find much on it.
Thanks again,
NWFlyer
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:42 AM »

This one looks very similar but has more comprehensive instructions.

http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/society/Simple_Stunt_Kite.pdf

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:52 AM »

I made a few back in the day, using plans from Stunt Kites To Make And Fly.
No tricks at all, but fast and a surprisingly strong pull.
The simple framing and somewhat complicated bridle work well and they lend themselves to stacking, for a cheap buggy engine.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
NWFlyer

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:15 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I haven't yet tried to make a stunt kite in my fledgling kitemaking career, but it looks pretty simple to build and I'm going to give it a run.  Dad is not a trick flier so that won't deter me.  What he likes about this I guess is the pull you mention and that it's a pretty fast, fun kite to fly.  Anyway, I'll get busy sewing a sail today now that I have some good dimensions and will track down some spars and fittings to put the rest together.  Thanks again for the help -
NWFlyer
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:25 AM »

I know you are trying to rebuild the Speedwing, but if you wanted to look at slightly more 'modern' (even though it's been around since 1992) Speedwing 'type' kite you might want to look at the HQ Delta Hawk. It's a small ( 57" x 27") simple delta which is very quick in stronger winds (20mph+) and pulls like a truck.  Not a trick kite but lots of fun and fairly cheap to buy.

Grant L
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:09 PM »

I've built a total of 4. A single and this stack of three. One of the nice things about these kites is the ease of stacking. The book above has plans and instructions for the Speedwing. This kite has two main panels in the sail. The book, "Stunt Kites II," ( http://www.amazon.com/Stunt-Kites-II-Designs-Buggies/dp/9068680854 )   has plans/instructions for the Speedwing Super, ( 5 panel sail,) as well as the small "Proton, ( 3 panel sail,) and the Speedwing 3 X 1, ( four panel sail.) The kites above are all 3 x 1s, ( 3- 1 meter spars, or 48 inchers cut down in this case.) Having more panels in the sail allow for giving the sail more 3-D shape.
         The instructions in the book are good. I did insert dome wooden dowels in the ends of the cross spar to help protect them from crushing. I have plans to slide some dowels into the leading edge spars at the point where the cross spar meets to reinforce them. I HAVE been flying without these reinforcements for quite a few years and have only had 2 spars break.  These kites need a bit of wind to fly and have a unique feel. They are also almost impossible to relaunch, though I have done it on occasion.  That being said, I think they are a blast!  I have plans to eventually build a train of small ones.  Grin

PS Both book are available through Drachen foundation at a very reasonable price.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:11 PM by Grant L » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document