GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 05:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mylar?  (Read 890 times)
DvMxDv
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 12, 2013, 05:25 PM »

I've been looking for kite making supplies after several years away from the hobby and am finding that the economy hasn't been kind to us.  Is mylar fabric available in the US anymore?

Thanks!
NWFlyer

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22 AM »

I'm new to kitemaking myself and have had trouble finding good sources of materials as well.  I was able to get some Mylar from "Sailrite" that looks like nice material and I also found some at North Sails.  You might try those companies.
NWFlyer
DvMxDv

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Thanks for the info NW, I really appreciate it!

Do you go in to North Sails and ask?  I don't see cloth available on their site.

Next question then.  Is Dacron cloth suitable for use instead of mylar?  Seems like it might age better or crack less over time?  Also appears about 1/3 less expensive now.

Thank you!
NWFlyer

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 12:35 PM »

It may be better for some of the more experienced kite makers to respond to your question, but mylar to me gives you the ability to reinforce high stress areas either by using the bare material itself or to layer it over the base color you have.  From what I have see, Dacron comes in a limited number of colors and you're either faced with accepting a less than ideal color match or going with a contrasting color that may or may not look the best.  I can't speak to the long term wear, color fastness  or material properties of one option compared to the other.  Mylar seems to be more expensive as rule, but to my eye it just looks cool where I see it used.  Thoughts from others ?
NWFlyer
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:02 AM »

Dacron will not work for anything But reinforcement or leading edges since it can't be gotten in a ripstop format.  Goodwinds has a good selection of materials but no polyester cloth, only nylon.  Skyburner is now selling Icarex direct since hang em high is awol and possibly gone for good.  Kitebuilder is also awol for the moment. Sailrite is a good alternative source for some stuff. I'll ask some of my contacts if they know any other sources.
DvMxDv

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 03:05 PM »

Thanks for the responses Ca Ike and NW.

I appreciate the info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document