any downside to a B rev for a rookie?

(1/3) > >>

northwavesailor:
My wife has decided that she wants to give a Rev a try. We may have her take a lesson before we take the plunge and buy a one.

The question is this: Would a B series 1.5 be OK or would an EXP be easier for a complete novice? I know that the EXP RTF is the least expensive way to buy a new Rev but (I don't think we're alone here) the B1.5 and B1.5 Pro custom are just good looking kites compared to the EXP.

She says has to look at it in the air (or crashing to the ground!)and wants a 'pretty' kite.

We just don't want to overbuy if the B series is harder to get a total rookie started on a quad line than and EXP or SLE!

nckiter:
The B series 1.5 will be no harder to learn than the EXP, it may actually be a little easier. You will also have a kite that is more capable of your quad line skills as they develop. If the dollars are not a deciding issue, definitely go with the B.

SkyDancer:
Quote from: northwavesailor on October 14, 2013, 10:32 AM

She says has to look at it in the air (or crashing to the ground!)and wants a 'pretty' kite.

Pretty is important! If she doesn't like how the kite looks, she won't want to fly it as often. That's why when I bought my LW her first sport kite (a dual-line) as a birthday present, I picked out one with a sail in her favorite colors. She especially likes the way that kite's fabric glistens in the sun.

Quote from: northwavesailor on October 14, 2013, 10:32 AM

We just don't want to overbuy if the B series is harder to get a total rookie started on a quad line than and EXP or SLE!

I agree with the other poster who said the B-series won't be harder to fly. To me, the only risk of "over-buying" is buying a top-of-the line kite for someone who isn't sure quad-line flying is them ... or if your budget requires you to keep the initial investment low. If neither of those are concerns, I'd go with the more expensive kite. Even if you're someone who doubts that John's sail design performs better, the polyester in the B-series probably makes a better sail than the nylon in the EXP and SLE. Plus, John's kite has the convenience of pre-knotted leaders on the handles, to make tuning easier.

mikeb:
It's always easier to spend someone else's money! The downside of the pretty 1.5b for a rookie is the feeling the rookie gets in their gut after crashing it and damaging it in the first week, then having it repaired so it's good enough to fly again, but will never look the same in their eyes. Get the crashes out of the way first with the used exp listed elsewhere for $100 including handles and lines. Then get the pretty one.

SparkieRob:
No downside at all, if you have the budget that is. Crashes, even the hard ones, look far worse than they are. If you want a B, get one. You have to be happy to look at it in the sky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page