GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any downside to a B rev for a rookie?  (Read 1985 times)
northwavesailor
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: October 14, 2013, 10:32 AM »

My wife has decided that she wants to give a Rev a try. We may have her take a lesson before we take the plunge and buy a one.

The question is this: Would a B series 1.5 be OK or would an EXP be easier for a complete novice? I know that the EXP RTF is the least expensive way to buy a new Rev but (I don't think we're alone here) the B1.5 and B1.5 Pro custom are just good looking kites compared to the EXP.

She says has to look at it in the air (or crashing to the ground!)and wants a 'pretty' kite.

We just don't want to overbuy if the B series is harder to get a total rookie started on a quad line than and EXP or SLE!
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53 AM »

The B series 1.5 will be no harder to learn than the EXP, it may actually be a little easier. You will also have a kite that is more capable of your quad line skills as they develop. If the dollars are not a deciding issue, definitely go with the B.
SkyDancer

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16 AM »

She says has to look at it in the air (or crashing to the ground!)and wants a 'pretty' kite.

Pretty is important! If she doesn't like how the kite looks, she won't want to fly it as often. That's why when I bought my LW her first sport kite (a dual-line) as a birthday present, I picked out one with a sail in her favorite colors. She especially likes the way that kite's fabric glistens in the sun.

We just don't want to overbuy if the B series is harder to get a total rookie started on a quad line than and EXP or SLE!

I agree with the other poster who said the B-series won't be harder to fly. To me, the only risk of "over-buying" is buying a top-of-the line kite for someone who isn't sure quad-line flying is them ... or if your budget requires you to keep the initial investment low. If neither of those are concerns, I'd go with the more expensive kite. Even if you're someone who doubts that John's sail design performs better, the polyester in the B-series probably makes a better sail than the nylon in the EXP and SLE. Plus, John's kite has the convenience of pre-knotted leaders on the handles, to make tuning easier.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38 AM »

It's always easier to spend someone else's money! The downside of the pretty 1.5b for a rookie is the feeling the rookie gets in their gut after crashing it and damaging it in the first week, then having it repaired so it's good enough to fly again, but will never look the same in their eyes. Get the crashes out of the way first with the used exp listed elsewhere for $100 including handles and lines. Then get the pretty one.
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:32 PM »

No downside at all, if you have the budget that is. Crashes, even the hard ones, look far worse than they are. If you want a B, get one. You have to be happy to look at it in the sky.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:23 PM »

The main differences are the fabric (not a big difference) and the leading edges. Almost always if a rod breaks it's going to be the leading edge on a Rev. If memory serves me correct, both the EXP and B series comes with a 3 wrap leading edge. This is what most people fly with. A standard leading edge used to be the SLE rod which was big, fat and hard to break. You _might_ break a 3 wrap but it's not the end of the world. If a beginner were to ask about starting with a 3 wrap or SLE leading edge and the SLE were a lot cheaper, I'd probably recommend the SLE. You  could then simply by a 3 wrap as you got better. The B series also comes with a 2 wrap (Professional Use Only) rods). You certain would not want to use these until you were good at flying.

Between the B series and the EXP, I'd probably recommend the B series as 1) you won't out grow it and 2) it will retain it's value better as it's more desirable.

When people are starting out I always recommend that they practice getting the Rev to go up 3' and then down. Once you can do that, try for 10' and back down. Go higher and higher as you get better. You will be learning how to keep the kite level and also how to apply the brakes... two key things to learn first. After that, you can trying turning.

If I recall correctly, the B series does not come with handles or lines.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
SkyDancer

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:53 PM »

If I recall correctly, the B series does not come with handles or lines.

The OP should double-check with his dealer. I've seen the B-series kites packaged with handles but not lines. So the buyer might have to choose the line set he wants for an extra price.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:05 PM »

Revolution sells their kites in a couple different ways depending on how the dealer wants to purchase them.  They can sell kite only, which includes the kite, frames and bag only....or you can purchase the complete kite package which includes everything ready to fly.  The B-Series kites normally are not shipped from Revolution with linesets as Rev feels that when you purchase one of these you will want to get a distinct lineset with it as well.  For instance, if flying with teams you will most likely want a 120' lineset or if street flying, you may want a 20 or 30 ft lineset....or you may want something in between.

HOWEVER....

If the dealer does request it, Rev will package the B-Series with a lineset for an additional cost.

The thing you will want to do is to double check on the lineset being packaged with your B-Series to make sure it is a high quality Shanti or Laser Pro Gold lineset and not something else.  If it is an OEM Revolution lineset then it will be LPG as that is the only line Rev ships with their kites.  If the shop is packaging the lineset themselves, it could be anything they stuff in there.  Most reputable shops will only use high quality Spectra lines.  Some of the other shops that offer prices that are 'too good to be true' could be making up the difference in low quality china dyneema or worse......

Our shop only carries Shanti or Laser Pro Gold for our quad line and dual line sets.

And to get back to the original question, I have taught hundreds of new Rev flyers on my B-Series kites, including my Pro's and have never had a sail failure. Smiley  You can learn on a B-Series just as easy as an EXP or 1.5.

northwavesailor

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:29 AM »

Thanks to all who replied with thoughts & suggestions.

We are looking to get a Rev lesson in the next few days to weeks...........wind dependent..........and will see if the Rev is indeed for her!
northwavesailor

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 07:16 PM »

My wife took a basic lesson from John B. in Portland yesterday. Pretty marginal winds but enough to get her hooked!

Looking at a Rev purchase for her to enter the "Dark Side'!!!
Theresa
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:38 PM »

My wife took a basic lesson from John B. in Portland yesterday. Pretty marginal winds but enough to get her hooked!

Looking at a Rev purchase for her to enter the "Dark Side'!!!

Hi John,

and just an FYI...I make all my line sets here at The Kite Shoppe with Laser Pro Gold. Smiley
T
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change