GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new (old) Gem  (Read 1374 times)
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 19, 2009, 05:02 AM »

Although this has been posted elsewhere, I thought I'd also share this little video with the good folk of this forum.

I bought this Gemini second hand about two months ago. I always knew I had to have a Gem at some stage, and when this one came up, I grabbed it and I'm very glad that I did. I've only had the chance to fly it about three times so far, preferring to concentrate on learning stuff with my Deep Space.

So here it is. A record of my first decent session with the Gem. There is quite a lot of basic flying because I was getting to know the kite, and because my flying is a bit basic anyhow! Of course, having set the Gem up because the wind was a bit above the comfortable range for the DS, it of dropped off pretty early on so the flying reflects that.

Anyway, I think thatís enough introduction Ė Enjoy!

Gem Session

[Iím sorry that the video is quite dark. Unfortunately I have a camera with a very small lens and so it really doesnít like low light levels. I think it did pretty well given how overcast and late in the day, and pointing it at a light sky and dark foreground and then flying a grey kite wasnít doing it any favours either. So, Iíve done my best to get something useful from the footageÖ Following some new advice, I'll be manually setting the exposure next time to try to gett better footage]

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:40 AM »

Good stuff Ben.
Laid back easy to watch video.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
farfennoogen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:47 PM »

good stuff man  Smiley

nice location too  Cool   main thing is you had fun  Wink
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44 PM »

I dig side slides.   Smiley

Thanks for the video!

I don't know if this is true, but I think there may be more "smiles to the mile" accumulated on Geminis than any other high end kite ever. It's just a totally fun kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57 PM »

Ben, those are some impressive rollups! Is this the "updated" Gem?  IF its the orginal have yoyo stops been added?  Or weights?

glen
benjai

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:32 AM »

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Certainly it's a kite that puts a smile on my face when I fly it...

It's not a current model, but a modified mkIII - so that's the current sail (with snag-free nose and tails, covered leading edges but bungee sail tensioning) with the original structil frame in original geometry, but the semi-updated 3-piece lower spreader, factory fitted carbon roll-bars with bowline, and it's got the modern weight on the base of each spine... I'd only hit my first multi-wrap the previous session, and have become somewhat obsessed with them. It's a cool-looking trick and the unroll is a good way to buy some time while you decide what to do next (at least that's what I use it for)...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:48 AM by benjai » Logged
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:15 AM »

and it's got the modern weight on the base of each spine...
Ben, can you tell me more about the weights?  So you put them on your spine instead of the one center standoff.  I have the updated gem. but it doesn't have the weight. I have been planning on adding weight to mine, now after watching those muliti-wraps definitely will!

glen
benjai

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 12:23 PM »

and it's got the modern weight on the base of each spine...

Ben, can you tell me more about the weights?  So you put them on your spine instead of the one center standoff.  I have the updated gem. but it doesn't have the weight. I have been planning on adding weight to mine, now after watching those muliti-wraps definitely will!

glen

Glen - OK, I've investigated a bit further and it's not clear if the weights were added at the Benson workshop or by one of the two previous owners (who had the kite for 2 years and put a total of 6 hours on her Huh)... Certainly they don't look like a fully productionised Benson design, but then the kite was built in the last few months before the new version was released, so maybe Tim was playing with weights then? Anyhow, they are lead tyre-balancing weights, 7 gram each and one was just stuck in the Velcro pocket with it's own spongy self-adhesive strip, but the other was tacked in with a blob of superglue... Iíve now tidied this up a bit using self-adhesive Velcro strip on both sides of the lead weight. It's stuck in the pocket as low as it will go. Hopefully the photos below will explain better...

One thing to bear in mind though, is mine is the old structil frame. The new, mostly Skyshark frame will have a slightly different weight distribution, which may explain why yours has no weights. A neater installation could be had by fitting a weighty rod (lead or brass or something) inside the spines, but I'll leave mine for now. Of course you can easily take the weights back off if you don't like how it works out. On mine, it certainly makes the roll-ups nice and I think they are as easy as on the DS...

HTH. Good luck...

Here's the photos.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document