GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 05:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 90# vs 50# on a SUL  (Read 558 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: October 23, 2013, 06:50 PM »

If very low wind, can you really tell the difference between 90# and 50# lines on a SUL? 

Rudy
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:42 PM »

depends on the line imo. the new shanti line( the yellow stuff) is pretty thin at 90# and rivals some of my 50# line
ymmv

Sine Metu!
bt
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:24 PM »

+1....depending on the line(s).
However it would also depend on the length(s) of the lines.
I like to fly my SUL Pro Dancer on 100ft of 50# line......NOT so on 80# or 90#. Huge difference even with new more thin lines.
I like to fly my BV Feather on 60ft of 50# line.....OK with 80 or 90 but.....nah...
I like to fly my 3D on 30 or 40 ft lines. Sometimes I like the 90# line more than the 50# line for short lines.
bt
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55 PM »

It also depends on the conditions, wind quality, experiance etc.

I can feel the difference between a 20 and 40lbs lines very clearly.
Or between a 80 and 120lbs line on a speedkite.

and Yes, i do use 20 and 40lbs lines in low winds Smiley
skb

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:11 PM »

I don't use 50# often, but it makes a noticeable difference with quad 120' and an SUL.
I might use it 9 or 10 times a year, but when you get down to the lightest breezes, I think it's worth having.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Depends on the line length (and how many lines you have), how much wind you have and what kind of flying you're doing. Oh yeah, and how big your kite is and what kind of kite it is.

So, it depends.  Roll Eyes

Assuming we're talking SUL kites in light wind conditions, not in zero wind. That's different.

With duallies I find that on full size kites I can't tell the difference between 90# & 50# at 50' and barely any difference at 75'. At 100'+ the weight and drag of the heavier line is more obvious, but I still don't bother with 50# unless I'm trying to pull off a zero wind ballet and need all the help I can get.

On smaller kites the line weight is more noticeable, but then I'd rarely fly a small SUL on lines longer than 75'.

I tend to fly older kites with lots of lift and drive.  Modern SULs are by necessity less efficient, so they need all the help they can get to stay in the air.

This is a very easy question to answer for yourself (your conditions, your kite, your style) if you have both line sets.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography