GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing leading edge & correct adhesive?  (Read 440 times)
northwavesailor
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: November 02, 2013, 07:58 AM »

I broke one side of a leading edge on a John T. designed Premier Wolf. Nothing to do with the kite design, 100% operator error! I bought a replacement leading edge from Premier Kites and it has 3 pieces that I'm guessing I will glue together: 2 long spars that slide inside one another as well as a short one with the arrow nock fitting. I will measure exactly where the 'C' clip is located on the intact side of the leading edge.

My main question is what adhesive to use in putting these 3 sections together?
Would RTV silicone (somewhat flexible) be a good choice or just use Super Glue to attach all 3 sections of the leading edge together?

Super Glue looks like what is used on the 'C' clip to hold it in place. Do I slide the 'C' clip on to the spar as I line up all the connectors or snap it over the spar?

Now that I have OEM replacement parts I want to do this right!

Thanks!

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:04 AM »

Have you taken the old one out yet? I've never seen them glued together. In the case of three rods you'd usually see 2 internal blanks that allow all three pieces to connect. Tensioning the nock is what hold them together. 1) this means if one rod breaks you only need to replace that one rod and 2) this allows the kite to be broken down into a smaller form (as short as the spine). Gluing the leading edge should not be any different then not gluing it (except it's more limiting as mentioned above).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
northwavesailor

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:47 AM »

Thanks, Todd!

How about the 'c' ring?
Should It be on the shaft when sliding it into the sleeve or snapped on afterwards?

It seems like having it on the spar shaft 1st might limit any damage from snapping it on at the end.

A dab of super glue to hold the 'c' ring it in the correct location?

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:50 AM »

When putting on, it's easier to snap it into place after the leading edge rod is inserted. In most kites I've found that the rod can be removed with the c ring in place but some of the time it's just easier to remove it first. I try to place as little glue as possible on the c-ring. Just enough to hold it in place. This way it's easier to remove as mentioned above. I'd also recommend getting something like a silver Sharpie and marking the rod where the c-ring goes. This way if it is removed or comes off, it's easy to see where it should go back on.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
northwavesailor

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Excellent!

Thanks again, Todd!

We may try to get my wife out on her new Rev between showers today........she has 'Rev fever'....advance case.............. with only 1 day on the kite. No more dual lines for her, now.
northwavesailor

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:21 PM »

OK..........got it all assembled, WITHOUT using glue..........Thanks, Todd!

The replacement leading edge was an inch+ longer than the originals so it took a while to (I hope) locate the 'C' ring in the exact location. I guess I could have shortened the pieces to have an equivalent total length to match the old ones, but I figure an extra inch wouldn't matter as long as the top and bottom connectors and bridle were all in their correct locations.

Thanks for steering me AWAY from gluing these 3 spars together!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography