GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATM mini review  (Read 1827 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« on: November 03, 2013, 01:32 PM »

I've got a bit more time on the ATM and thought that I would share a few thoughts - sort of a mini review of sorts. 

We've been plagued with bad winds for some time now as fall takes over from summer - either no wind at all of far too much wind to really do much of anything with finesse.  

Recently, I've had some opportunities to fly the kite in decent winds for a few hours at a time and really got a chance to fully evaluate the ATM.  I've been flying it for some time in a variety if winds since I got it. 

First off, the kite has and maintains a decent amount of wind pressure with a solid pull and feedback which leads to excellent precision and connection with the kite.  It has a bigger kite feel with a slower flying speed than Lams other designs, but yet it remains agile in flight and trick movement. 

Trick-wise, it's all there just like his other kites and I was able to fall in immediately and do everything that I can do right away.  The Taz is a give-away with this kite - very easy and reliable.   It's also a yoyo monster - you can easily wrap it as many times as you like, it just goes right around reliably with no trouble.   I've found no oddities with the kite - everything is solid and reliable including easy flick--flacks, flat spins, backspins, multi lazys, and linked combos.  The side slide is super easy on this kite which is a trick that I don't often do, but have been doing alot since flying the ATM.  Comete is super solid, fast or slow and easy to reverse according to my son (I'm still one direction on that one). 

The cascade requires a little more timing than I've found with Lams other kites, but it's still easy to do, it's more of an adjustment to have it look smoother.  In my opinion, it's a slight trade off perhaps for the super easy taz which is completely worth it in my opinion.  With my Fearless, I can bang it pretty hard and it just flattens out and comes back for the next input.  This one just hit it with a more metered input and it's all good. 

They dynamic spars work well - no issues.  I would like to try the kite framed in skyshark for comparison, but it works well as is.  For sure, it is by far the best dynamic sparred kite on the market that I've ever flown and by a wide margin. 

I've flown it back to back with some of my other Lam kites and while I prefer smoothness of my Fearless, for example, there are other things that the ATM does better, such as the Taz.  I think few or no corners were cut in order to hit the less than $300 price point on the kite - it's well designed, built, and executed.   I'll fly it for a year and see how it holds up wear-wise, but so far,  I've noticed no issues there either.  

6 kite tom
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:19 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  Which model did you fly that comes up with the review ..UL, SUL or STD?
tpatter

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:48 PM »

Mine is the UL.    I'm not sure that the SUL is available yet, but I sure enjoyed lams last video of it.

I have not tried the standard.  Looking at the stated specs, it looks like it needs only a little more wind, but has a much higher top end.   I'd like to try that one for sure.

6 kite tom
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Thanks a lot Tom. Maybe I should send you the Sul to play with it for while and see how you like it Smiley I like it myself as you can see in the video Smiley Thanks again.

Have a great day.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:09 PM »

Thanks for the review.

Another kite I need to try.  Cheesy
tpatter

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:40 PM »

Thanks a lot Tom. Maybe I should send you the Sul to play with it for while and see how you like it Smiley I like it myself as you can see in the video Smiley Thanks again.

Have a great day.

Thanks Lam!  I would love to try out the SUL.  Your video is very intriguing - the kite looks very tricky for sure.

6 kite tom
Fearless Object

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:10 PM »

You are welcome my friend : Here the link for ATM SUL Video that you can see the body movement with the kite, this way you can learn each trick faster. Hope that help.

Thanks for watching.

Good day !
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53 PM »

Love it!  This could be the kite that teaches me the cynique.

6 kite tom
bigwheels
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:02 PM »

Holy s!!t Lam, that's the best, most controlled series of cyniques I've seen.  Not to mention the 1 1/2 rotation lazies to fades.   Very smooth.   Sherrell
Fearless Object

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:53 PM »

Sherrell, you teach me everything I need know Master Smiley

I am glad you like it. Thank you.

Good day!
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Thanks for the "mini review" Tom! I just got my ATM in the mail today & I'm looking forward to flying it but will have to wait a day or so due to nursing a cold! Fortunately I have the week off so hopefully with eating well and some rest (plus plenty of ZICAM & Echinacea) I'll be bouncing back quickly.

Here's a photo of mine plus a link to a few more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62683296@N00/sets/72157638054356265/
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Looking Sharp!  I will be interested in your impressions.

Lam sent me the SUL recently to try out.  I really like it, amazing wind range and it just feels right to me.   I flew it side by side with my favorite SUL, the Transformer SUL, and liked it every bit as much, even more in some respects.  It's got more sail pressure and is bigger but just as agile. 

6 kite tom
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 09:33 AM »

Tom ...all I can give is my build observations at this point. Sewing is well done. I only found one 4-5 inch section of one panel seam that gives me slight concern (sewing went slightly off track) . Being that all the seams are seam-tapped before sewing and this is an UL version, I'm not overly concerned with the issue. All the rest of the sewing is well done. Nose is very neat & clean. Connectors are very snug. In fact, the LS rods are so tight when fully assembled they seamed to be "locked in" so I decided to just leave them in for the time being when I disassemble the kite for storage in the kite sleeve. There is some looseness in the sail, although I haven't tried to remedy that by tightening the leech line yet. This could be done by design and hopefully will not effect it's flight characteristics.

It's a little larger ...over 7.5 feet wing span ...than I expected ...which is not a bad thing at all! I've recently been pleased with a couple larger kites in my kite bag. All in all ...the build quality seems meticulous & excellently done. I also like the clean lines of the graphics & the kite looks better in person. It has a nice presence!

Rainy here today so it'll be a few more days before I get to fly it but I'll post more once I do.
Fearless Object

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Thank you Bill and Tom for your nice words. As you can see the ATM are available in custom colors, If anyone interested please talk to the Theresa The kite shoppe or me for more detail. Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document