GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rev washers  (Read 4792 times)
northwavesailor
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: November 04, 2013, 09:26 AM »

How long do most Rev top cap washers last?
My wife is learning to fly Rev's (and doing quite well........)  but some leading edge into the ground crashes are inevitable.

First day on a new 1.5-B and a washer tore off. I repaired it temporarily with a wire (zip) tie to allow more flying that day. Got a repair kit from Rev and replaced the bungee cord and washer. I looked at the other side top cap washer and noticed it was starting to split so I replaced that washer/ bungee as well to avoid losing one in flight.

Just curious if this is normal or are the stresses of a novice learning to fly a Rev beating those washers into early failure?
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37 AM »

My Rev I is nearly 20 years old, the washers are fine.
Other parts are pretty worn/torn, but the washers are still OK.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45 AM »

irc the rev washers just used to be slices of rubber tubing.....probably cheaper and easier to replace by going to a local hardware store....easy to have spares that way too....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:32 PM »

Hard hits want to pull those 2 knots through the small hole of those washers/slices of 1/4" id hose at the same time causing the split. Check at the hardware store for different hoses the thick wall stuff with threads in it is what some of my revs have, some have clear hard/yellowed plastic like buttons with a single hole. Most of them are slices of hose. You probably have something at home that works just as good, like those rubber feet on the bottom of the wooden block that holds your knifes on the kitchen counter.
northwavesailor

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:31 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

I think mikeb's observation is accurate as the Rev HAS been hitting the ground a bit with the leading edge. I can see how that would stress these washers and want to 'pull' the bungee cords through the opening.

The 1.5B Rev is great kite and my wife is having a really good time flying it. Hard to say if (when?) I will join her in her journey to 'The Dark Side'............................ but I may!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33 PM »

We have these washers in stock, as well as all the other replacement parts for your Rev. Smiley

Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Stick with the zip ties. I have started carrying them with my repair stuff. The orig washer are faucet washers available T any hardware store, but the bungie must be untied to replace them. Zip ties are easy and will last a long time. Simply make a loop in the zip tie, put the two knots in the bungie into the loop and tighten the loop.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:48 PM by Jim Foster » Logged

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
SparkieRob

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:07 AM »

Stick with the zip ties. I have started carrying them with my repair stuff. The orig washer are faucet washers available T any hardware store, but the bungie must be untied to replace them. Zip ties are easy and will last a long time. Simply make a loop in the zip tie, put the two knots in the bungie into the loop and tighten the loop.

Like that idea Jim. Make sure they are UV Stabilised cable ties, here in Australia it's the black ones. That way they won't deteriorate in the sun. I have a tool that sets the tension and cuts the tail flush, a cable tie gun.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
northwavesailor

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:27 AM »

Perhaps I am over thinking this, but wonder if there is any downside to using zip ties instead of the washers?

The zip tie was the only thing I had in my car that day for a quickie fix and allow more flying!

I guess the shock cord allows some flex using the Rev washers or zip ties. The zip ties wouldn't appear have the added flex of the OEM Rev washers + shook cord but, again, I may be over thinking this.................

I will keep zip ties in my kit to do a field repair as it is fast and seems to work!
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30 PM »

It's good to overthink! My Idea of the zip-tie downside is the hardness of the plastic rubbing on to other materials between the outside of the leading edge and the actual leading edge rods being equally hard or carbon fiber= a lot harder,, once you see a wear mark on the outside of the leading edge material you already have holes on the inside of the leading edge material, so keep it as soft as possible between those 2 areas. By moving the vertical end cap from left to right of the hole in the leading edge allows the Kevlar pad in that area to not rub so much on the leading edge rod. Otherwise you will see a whitesh ring around your leading edge rods roughly 19 inches from the end of the rod. It's a hole on the inside of the leading edge material exposing and rubbing the Kevlar pad directly against the leading edge carbon rod.
Jim Foster

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Perhaps I am over thinking this, but wonder if there is any downside to using zip ties instead of the washers?

The zip tie was the only thing I had in my car that day for a quickie fix and allow more flying!

I guess the shock cord allows some flex using the Rev washers or zip ties. The zip ties wouldn't appear have the added flex of the OEM Rev washers + shook cord but, again, I may be over thinking this.................

I will keep zip ties in my kit to do a field repair as it is fast and seems to work!

Back up............

The bungies are still there doing their job.  The zip tie loop is used in place of the rubber washer, not in place of the bungie. 

Rubber washer breaks and takes an adios.  Make a loop of the zip tie, then put both knots of the bungie into the loop and tighten the zip tie to hold the knots in the bungie just like the rubber washer was holding the knots in the bungie.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:33 PM by Jim Foster » Logged

northwavesailor

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:33 PM »

Back up............

The bungies are still there doing their job.  The zip tie loop is used in place of the rubber washer, not in place of the bungie. 

Rubber washer breaks and takes an adios.  Make a loop of the zip tie, then put both knots of the bungie into the loop and tighten the zip tie to hold the knots in the bungie just like the rubber washer was holding the knots in the bungie.

Hi Jim, That is exactly how I did my 'field' repair. Yes the shook cord is still there but the wire ties are solid and the rubber washers have a little give.................that's my only concern. If the repair called for by Rev or original assembly used wire ties, I would not ask the question. Just asking 'why the washers' for fabrication and repair parts? I don't buy that it is a conspiracy by Rev to sell repair kits for their kites!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Just to clarify, are you talking about the washer on the bungee's holding the caps that hold the vertical rods in place, or the washers on the ends of the leading edge rods that keeps the SLE rods from cutting into the bridle?

Jim Foster

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 10:01 PM »

Just to clarify, are you talking about the washer on the bungee's holding the caps that hold the vertical rods in place, or the washers on the ends of the leading edge rods that keeps the SLE rods from cutting into the bridle?

The repair using zip ties is to replace the rubber washer at the top of the vertical spar.

Captainbob

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:51 AM »

I just ordered some washers and bungee cords and caps from my dealer, so I am ready for anything that falls off or breaks..

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change