GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superfly UL  (Read 3640 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16 AM »

while i certainly respect mr benson for his design and construction abilities, i lost all respect for him, his business, and mr goff when i made a request to build a superfly with fluorescent yellow wingtips
Perhaps you could both maintain and restore your respect Embarrassed for Tim by purchasing from him a kite with the same grey wingtips he offers to everyone and then have a local artisan insert your preferred fluorescent panels as a customisation detail just for you to account for your medical condition.

discrimination hurts no matter the context.
I dare say that it does but this story really stretches the definition of the term. "Not getting your way" does not constitute discrimination. Tim won't sell me a Superfly for $5 due to my crippling poverty* but that hardly makes it a Federal case. Oh and he's also knocked back my custom request although too.

Sorry to hear about your eyes. That must be a bummer.

Mike,
* exxxageration for effect.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:49 AM »

Dude is an artist.  And, I think it was also Chris who requested the sort of limited panel choices available.

But bumping a color request is very much his prerogative as the artist. 

I have also had a custom color request on the SuperFly bumped.  And I think he said it was Chris' request to limit the palette.

I still don't have a SuperFly. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24 AM »

SO thats at leads 10 people now that I know or have heard of that have had color choices turned down by Tim.  From the history of posts on this kite there was originally only 4 color choices that Chris upped to 8 when the deal with Tim was struck.  Chris himself has said there would be no custom colors available for the time being but that was when he was making them himself.  Chris had a specific ideal in mind when he came up with the panel layout and wants to stick to it so its not really Tims call on this one.  Got to respect Tim for honoring Chris decisions as the designer.

IF you really need the flo yellow Fidelio accents can be added to accommodate your need by one of us that can build Smiley
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Pretty strong reaction to a common situation. I don't think I've known ANY high end kite maker that didn't reserve (deserve?) the right to veto color schemes. Look back to turn of the century Gemini color schemes to get a sense of why Benson my have drawn a line in the sand at some point.  Huh 

In this case, even a disinterested, uninformed kite consumer like me knows that the Superfly layout and color scheme was very specific, even a bit controversial. I'd have politely asked for my color scheme but not by any stretch be offended if refused, much less venting publicly.

Allen, AKA kitehead
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Just the record I've never had Tim turn down any colour panel design. I guess I must have good taste  Wink
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 03:11 PM »

And for the record again, Tim has gone through phases of allowing custom designs.  It is only in the last few years that you were able to order anything other than a standard colour Deep Space and that was done principally to boost orders once sales had started to slow down.

If you look at the Recent Makes section on the Benson website makes you may wonder if Tim was actually vetoing any of the designs, as some of them were less than aesthetically pleasing at least to my eye. Wink
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 09:27 PM »

Welcome to the internet where meaning gets misconstrued.
I said i got hurt in a new way as the result of my condition, and given tim's inflexibility, my opinion of him changed. i still respect his abilities, just not his choices.

Thanks for the offer CA Ike, i do need the accents but also vote with my dollars, so i won't be needing any adjustments.

a question for some of you: a man in a wheelchair wants to see hollywood's latest blockbuster, but the only theater showing it, has no wheelchair ramp. the man offers to pay for the construction a ramp. the theater owner refuses to install one, even behind the theater, because it would change the aesthetics of the architectural design. has this man been discriminated against?

Fdeli
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 12:40 AM »

it's a different situation: the ramp will be gone in 5 minutes

if you'll order a superfly (ul), i will send you enough of this adhesive icarextape for free!

Krijn
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:52 AM »

I said i got hurt in a new way as the result of my condition, and given tim's inflexibility, my opinion of him changed. i still respect his abilities, just not his choices.
But he hasn't singled you out for this imagined inflexibility. He applies it equally to everyone. That is the very opposite of discrimination. That you (amongst others) are inconvenienced by his choice is unfortunate but no sinister ulterior motive should be read into it. Just because someone chooses not to acquiesce to every whim someone can dream up does to mean they are guilty of discrimination.

a question for some of you: a man in a wheelchair wants to see hollywood's latest blockbuster, but the only theater showing it, has no wheelchair ramp. the man offers to pay for the construction a ramp. the theater owner refuses to install one, even behind the theater, because it would change the aesthetics of the architectural design. has this man been discriminated against?
No, not remotely. It's an unfortunate situation that you describe and one for which a solution could undoubtedly be found for (perhaps akin to the one outlined for making a Superfly super-visible), but just because the world does not align itself for one person does not mean that we are wading in a sea of discrimination.

Meanwhile..... back at the kites.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 09:38 PM »

You clearly read what you want, not what i say, so ... it's not worth saying anything else.

Fdeli
coogee

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 10:40 PM »

Like you every body is entitled to there opinion!

Mike
Danceswithwinds

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 04:29 AM »

All said and done re colour and custom details IMHO it is a great kite ,simple design pattern with fantastic build quality, and compliments its heavier sibling. I was lucky to have flown a prototype earlier in the year .
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 12:40 AM »

SuperFly UL on Vimeo

Great Stuff as always
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document