GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 08:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ejected from my kite field.  (Read 2301 times)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58 PM »

This just happened in Holly Springs, NC as well.  They took the best open field in the area, surrounded it with 150 foot tall light poles, and fenced it off.  Then covered the surface with astroturf; the reasoning for the fence is that the astroturf was expensive and the only time people will be allowed on it is for sanctioned, town-run soccer games, overseen by the town's Parks & Recreation department.  That's the field where I learned to fly, and where we used to hold our impromptu New Year's Day fly, since the county park at the lake is closed on holidays.

Tipsteve
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 04:22 PM »

My Daughter and I were asked to leave a field that was 400 yards from a prison.  We were flying single line flow forms. We were not on prison grounds but were on space leased to an area nonprofit.  It seems the inmates were fascinated with our kites and we had to leave.  Was very respectful exchange with the official but still frustrating.
javascript:void(0);

Steve
Deltasteve
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 05:09 PM »

Yep, same here.  Used to fly at a private military school with huge fields, now totally off limits.  Same with the athletic fields at all the local public schools.  So whee the heck do you fly?  So, I found a very large field close to the road that was part of an even larger farm.  I stopped and asked the farmer if I could fly occasionally, was very respectful, etc. etc.  He was cordial but a bit cool and told me if he let me fly there than others would want to use his field as well.  He also told me (and he was very serious about it)..."besides this isn't even kite flying season".  I suggested that any time the wind was blowing it was a good time to fly.  He was not impressed.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42 PM »

He also told me (and he was very serious about it)..."besides this isn't even kite flying season".  I suggested that any time the wind was blowing it was a good time to fly.  He was not impressed.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum