GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DT12 - Where to buy or what to substitute it with?  (Read 732 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 23, 2014, 08:35 PM »

In perfect compliance with Murphy's Law, it took me a whopping two flying sessions to crack a lower spreader on my Duende Std.   Embarrassed  And Dynamic spars still seem to be as hard to get hold of as in the days when I replaced the LSs on my Acrobatix UL with SkyShark rods.  Extensive search on the forum and the internet left the essential questions open:

Where can I buy DT12 tubes?  Alternatively, someone replaced them with 3PT, which appears on the skinny side to me.  Does anyone have experience with this operation?  Alternatively, does anyone have the specs for DT12?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Smiley

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28 PM »

Flying wings sells them and I know Lam also has some on hand since his ATM uses dynamic spars as well.  He is in Vancouver, so shipping could be reasonable? I would check at least.

If you have some skyshark 3pt or 5pt, I would just use those although the diameter is a bit smaller if I recall.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:19 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:26 AM »

i replaced the dt12's of my hq shadow with 3pt's and that worked great

Krijn
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:42 AM »

In perfect compliance with Murphy's Law, it took me a whopping two flying sessions to crack a lower spreader on my Duende Std.   Embarrassed  And Dynamic spars still seem to be as hard to get hold of as in the days when I replaced the LSs on my Acrobatix UL with SkyShark rods.  Extensive search on the forum and the internet left the essential questions open:

Where can I buy DT12 tubes?  Alternatively, someone replaced them with 3PT, which appears on the skinny side to me.  Does anyone have experience with this operation?  Alternatively, does anyone have the specs for DT12?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Smiley

How did you crack the LS?
This sounds suspiciously similar to when I cracked the LS of my Soul also after only a few flights.
Apparently the ferule was not mounted correctly in one of the spars and it split it open when I flew the kite in relatively strong wind.

Instead of buying a new spar I repaired it with a length of flying line stringly wound around the split end, completely covering it with cyano glue and then thermal shrinkwraping it with electric tube.

It has resisted even the strongest winds and falls! Smiley

Maybe that could get you flying soon while waiting for the new spar...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
JayDee

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:39 AM »

Thanks for the input, Tom and Krijn.  I happen to have two Black Diamond 3PTs around and will replace the LSs then.  The female DT12 spreader weighs 10.4 g.  A full-length 3PT is specified at 12 g.  So it should be about the same weight when cut to length.  Checking with Lam is also a good idea...

Ara, what you are describing sounds like the lower spreaders coming apart during flight.  I had that happening a couple of times with my Widow.  In addition to reinforcing the female LS with adhesive shrink tube, I have been very anal about slanting the standoffs inward slightly, so they push the LSs together rather than apart.  To test, pull the spreaders apart a little and shake the kite.  The spreaders should slide back together.  I also read somewhere that chamfering the ferrule is important to avoid point loads.  Since I have always done that, I cannot comment from my own experience.

In my Duende's case, the spreader broke squarely by the inner standoff fitting.  The wind may have been on the upper end of the specified wind range, but I do not think it exceeded 20 mph, even in gusts.  No excuse for a spar to simply give in mid-air.   Roll Eyes

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44 AM »

Ara, what you are describing sounds like the lower spreaders coming apart during flight.

Actually what happened was that the ferule was glued too far in one spar from factory such that the female spar had too little ferule inside to have a good firm grip. So it gave in...  Sad
Since then I always check the ferrule when I get a new kite.

Your case is indeed different and indeed strange that a new spar breaks like that after second flight...

I guess there should be some sort of product warranty, shouldn't there?

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06 PM »

I guess there should be some sort of product warranty, shouldn't there?

Well, I bought it very lightly used (certainly not abused) from a forum member.  Even if the manufacturer's warranty may apply, I tend to consider spars snapped in higher wind or during stress-inducing maneuvers my own fault.

In my current location, it is much less hassle for me to replace the lower spreaders with material I have on hand rather than having a replacement sent from Flying Wings.  They used to be located in San Jose, CA and close to my daily commute when I lived in the area.  That made it easy when my then-brand new Silver Fox arrived with a gaping hole in the leading edge pocket.  Now the detour from my commute would be just too large...

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52 PM »

I have all the dynamic rods in stock.  If you can't find one from Steve here, give me a shout.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46 PM »

Only thing I can help with are Prism products.  By all means get your replacement parts from Kent.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
JayDee

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:22 PM »

Thanks, Steve!  Kent, you do not seem to have Dynamics rods in your online store.  I'll contact you by email.

JayDee

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:49 PM »

Update for the record: I ended up using the 3-PT Black Diamonds I had at hand.  And then last week, I finally had a day with halfway suitable and, more importantly, halfway constant winds.  Considering what little flight time I had before I snapped the original LS, I would concur with Krijn and others that 3-PTs are a perfectly adequate replacement for DT12s.

But man, this little kite can do fun things!  It seems to be most happy with turtle-based tricks, making many moves easy that I did not know I was capable of doing.  A couple of times I managed to gain about a wingspan of elevation during a Lazy Susan -- just like that!   Cool  And yes, the Duende does give away the Taz machine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document