GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 09:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for info on jet kite  (Read 749 times)
roaddawg
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 23, 2013, 12:45 PM »

does anyone have any info on a company called jet kite from Battle Ground , WA?
I bought a duel line parafoil kite with a Jet kite logo on it and has a sky rod.  it is
2ft.x8ft.  any info on this kite would be helpful.  Can't find anything on the web.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Jet kites was run by Red ? who also built or had those spars built. He had a honey colored spar, I don't know if that's what you have or one of the standard black spars. The honey colored spars were super flexible and you could bend a 32" spar all the way back on itself without breaking. He also produce ultralight FlexiFoil spars and did some custom sails from a special UL sailcloth he had, those Flexi's would fly in almost zero wind and one was the first the kite I ever saw somebody walk a 360 with. He was also possibly the first person to wrap tapered carbon spars which he showed me once when I visited his shop after he had moved down to Rockaway, Oregon, he said the Top of the Line team was using them but hiding them with pieces of standard K75 where they showed. He wasn't ferreling them as such, but expected one to be slid inside the other to make a longer spar. He was quite proud of what he was doing and took me on the full tour of the shop including across the street just to show off the diamond blade on his saw he used to cut the finished spars to length. He even showed me some gigantic custom spars he was making for Peter Lynn (I think, been 25 years ago or more). How much of all of that is true I don't know, he also seemed like a good storyteller, but I sure enjoyed spending a couple hours with him right after having attended my first kite festival.

Can't give you any info on that particular kite though.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
skb
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:01 AM »

Red Braswell?
Weren't those spars called SkyRods?

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
roaddawg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:19 PM »

thanks for the info. After he passed away, the odds and ends from his business were in storage in rockaway.
someone handling his estate posted a lot of things on a kite classifed. i bought several items including that kite and a skydiving parachute that he had rigged as a single line kite.  i only flew it once as it pulled like a truck in 3-4mph wind and i had to hang almost 11 lbs on a drone to make it stable. the skyrod on the other kite has a honey colored center section with black ends.  thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography