GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 04:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A dark day for kiting unless we help.......  (Read 2163 times)
ben dantonio
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 23, 2009, 10:23 AM »

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Dear kite flyer/kite group,

I am writing to see if you or your club/group might be able to help support this yearís Bristol International Festival of Kites and Air Creations which is due to take place over the weekend of 12 & 13 September.

Background:
Plans are going well - exhibitors and traders are confirming and invitations are going out to kite guests. But this year is proving really tough for everyone, and businesses and organisations are just not spending on marketing or sponsoring events. The bottom line is that to go ahead we need to raise at least £10,000 to fund essential on site infrastructure and cover the costs of flyers and participants - or else we may have to cancel.

We have launched a special fundraising campaign aimed at businesses, the kite industry, kite enthusiasts/clubs/societies and the public. We are fortunate to have strong local, national and international support for the Festival, and hope that by offering opportunities for businesses and individuals we can raise much needed funds, and at the same time supporters can benefit from being a part of our Festival.

The Festival was started by Martin Lester, myself and another colleague and is still organised and run by a small team of local flyers on a voluntary basis. It has become a major event in the South West and is well known within the international kite world. The Festival pulls in crowds of over 30,000 people and last year we had peaks of over 2,200 daily hits to the Festival website and were thrilled that both BBC Blue Peter and Channel 4ís Scrap Heap Challenge filmed over the weekend.

So how you can help!
We have three packages for businesses, organisations and/or individuals: Gold (£1,000), Silver (£500) and Bronze (£50).  In addition, local people are invited to get behind the event by becoming a Friend of the Festival for a donation of £20. In return for their donation all supporters will receive a commemorative Bristol Blue Glass kite-themed coaster being created especially for the Festival.

Supporters who take up one of the top three packages can benefit from promotional and corporate opportunities providing publicity and profile in the run up to the Festival, and also have the chance to get involved during the weekend. Gold supporters will have their own branded Japanese kite made and flown in the kite fighting battles and have an opportunity to fly some of the stars of the show. Silver supporters will see their names flying high on an air banner attached to one of the large special shape kites. Bronze supporters will be thanked publicly at the festival and have their names included on the Bristol 2009 Serpent kite which will be displayed and flown at the Festival and afterwards by Avon Kite Flyers Club.

I am contacting you to see if you can help support us. I would also be grateful if you could spread the word and forward this message on to any of your friends or contacts who might also be interested. Would you also be able to post this message on your club newsletter or add it to your website if you have one?

We have given ourselves a month to see if we can secure some support. If there isnít a realistic chance of covering our costs or underwriting the event in some way, we will have to make the difficult decision to cancel this yearís Festival, in which case we would of course refund any pledges made. Cancelling would be a huge disappointment to all our flyers, exhibitors and our new nominated charity Marie Curie Cancer Care, as well as the many members of the public who come along every year and join in the fun. We are determined to do everything we can to go ahead this year and also to make it to 2010 - which will not only mark our 25th year but also give us the chance to join in the exciting celebrations for the Bristol Year of Flight.Ē

If you can help, please visit www.kite-festival.org.uk/friends-of-the-festival or make a cheque payable to: Bristol Kite Festival and post to c/o Festival Office, 5 Lilymead Avenue, Bristol BS4 2BY. If the Festival is cancelled all donations will be refunded.

For any sponsorship enquiries or fundraising ideas please do contact me

Thank you very much i

Avril Baker

Festival office
5 Lilymead Avenue BRISTOL BS4 2BY
email: kites@abc-pr.co.uk
tel: 0117 977 2002
fax: 0117 977 4255

This is Ben from Revolution Kites and I wanted to share this with the world for several reasons, this year has seen the passing of to many kite festivals and I do not want to see
another bite the dust...... So in my sick little mind I have taken on a task to raise money for
this event in the form of some on line kite raffles where all money will go to the event.
What we are doing is in the next few days we will present a Bazzer B-Series Pro custom
Bristol kite which Bazzer and team iQuad have put together and we will sell a very limited
amount of tickets for $20.00 US on "revkites.com" and then we will donate this money to
Bristol. Also with help of the kiting community mainly "The Decorators" and Jose Santz we
hope to have more kites which we can use to raise more money so keep an eye out in the
coming weeks and help if you can...... Ben

ben dantonio
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:15 PM »

The tickets are being sold on the Revolution web site http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2902 now, so just
go to the forum, then look at the heading from Rev and you will see whats going on....Ben Cool

*Link changed to the Revolution Forum as opposed to the Revolution site.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:25 PM by JimB » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36 AM »

I blinked and missed the raffle. Did I read right, there will be two others?

(And who do we send the PayPal to?)

Bob D.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:26 AM »

I too sent in money, but to JB's "other" email and it wasn't read in time to be in this raffle.

Beautifully done Rev too. I'm happy to see the tickets went so quickly for a worthy cause.

Maybe next time they can do $10 tickets at a 100 entries to give those of us who are a bit slow on the trigger to have a chance.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum