GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New builds  (Read 1186 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: November 17, 2013, 11:54 AM »

Here's my Sixth sense build.  I had to do a few things different since I couldn't get ahold of some mats I needed which gave some creativity.  Not having the normal mylar to use for reinforcements I had to make my own using some 1 mil mono film glued to some 3/4 rsn.  Instead of putting them on the back like usual I decided to use them as accents on the front.  The way Davide designed the reinforcements gives them nice lines and they do add to the elegant simplicity of the panel layout.  I also pinstriped them with 1/8" strips of insignia tape. The interesting thing about the way I did the reinforcements is since I used lighter colors they "ghost out" when backlit and you just see the pin stripping and a shadow affect.  I have a bzar2011 and a vortex in similar colors on the project table as well I will post up when they are done.  All these builds are going budget using 3/4 RSN.

IMG_1018 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

IMG_1017 by Ca Ike, on Flickr
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Love me some black/red/white kites.

Nicely done.

Love the front accents on the standoffs.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:06 PM »

Thanks John. I use both the std and ul reinforcement panels in the plans to create the double layered accents.

Since my Venturi slk prototype was destroyed I reworked it some and built another. All seams are flat fold and its now framed more like a Cody so the keel is supported open.  Still working on getting the frame and bridle specs right but its flying. I have another version where the wings don't overlap in the middle and a third version that will be a glider purposely made with some instability built in.

IMG_1003 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

IMG_1002 by Ca Ike, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:05 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
jecko
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:41 AM »

Very nice builds, Thumbs up!!!!

l love Red, Black and White color kites too.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:19 PM »

Glad to see the Venturi (from  Giovanni Battista Venturi) again in the air.

It looks sweet.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Well I'm waiting on the frame rods to show up but I had to get these out in the light for some pics.  Here's my B'zar 2011 and vortex sails. I have to say it wasn't easy to come up with a decent combo for the vortex sail layout.

B'zar 2011 Sail by Ca Ike, on Flickr

VOrtex sail by Ca Ike, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:52 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:26 PM »

These are gorgeous - can't wait to see them Framed.

6 kite tom
stapp59
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:59 PM »

Nice kites!  Wink  Almost used that color scheme...

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Here's some pics of the vortex and bazar now that they are all framed up.

Vortex by Ca Ike, on Flickr

B'zar 2011 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

The new trio by Ca Ike, on Flickr

First impressions

Vortex:
Not enough wind to really test it but it seems to be a trick monster.  IMO it needs at least 5 mph to start opening up.

B'zar:
Quite impressive. Easy taz, Deep locked in turtle for easy multilazies/riser. turn table flat backspins and easy bs cascade.  Turtle can lock in hard making comets difficult but my bridle is slightly off on a few measurements as maybe the  spar fittings since the plans don't say if the measurements are to the stops or center of the fitting.

Sixth sense (comp frame):
Impressive low end and easily flies in 2-3 with good drive.  Mines a bit slow to back flip and roll up so JLs are rather slow, flic-flacs are also slow to pitch.  Tracking and speed control are great.  Seems to hang nose low in axels/540's.  Wants to flip into fade position when trying taz or slot.  Still need to double check all measurements and have better wind.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 06:54 PM »

great builds.  Now you have a set of my 3 favorite DIY kites (regarding the sport kites).  They look excellent and I'm sure you'll get a ton of fun out of them!

(sorry I couldn't spare the mylar!)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:05 PM »

Seems to hang nose low in axels/540's.  Wants to flip into fade position when trying taz or slot.  

Huh

Definitely not my experience with the SS

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 10:37 PM »

Seems to hang nose low in axels/540's.  Wants to flip into fade position when trying taz or slot.  

Huh

Definitely not my experience with the SS
Well to be fair I was flying in 3-6 with lulls in the 1-2 range so I do need better wind and more than a couple hours on the lines.  The basic, and comp frame seem to fly with similar slow pitch and I have a feeling its simply the fact that I didn't adjust standoff length for the different frame specs from the pro frame specs given with the plans.  There's about a 1 cm difference between 5pt and nitro if you want to keep the same sail tension and angles.  The pro frame has more washout than the comp or basic frames and is quieter. That could be simply the standoffs being too short.

The kite is impressive flying with a lot of drive in 2mph with the full 25g in the tail.  Once I double check everything and get better wind I'll have a better feel for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography