GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sat nav for tablet  (Read 3368 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: December 07, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Hi all. I am thinking about buying a tablet. I have laptops and can run garmin mobile pc with them if needed so to make it worthwhile for me I need an android run tablet that I can navigate with without being either wi-fi (it will have that capability)or paying for a phone service SOOOO i guess what I am saying is I need a tablet with tru sat nav capability
Any help?? thanks as always Kurt

have fun kurt
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:52 PM »

Ahh.... most tablets have a GPS receiver now. I use my tablet with gooigle maps as a big GPS.........
An you can download a 30mile map (iirc it is thirty mile area) into the tablet by https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en&ref_topic=3273087

And if you have a phone set up as a WiFi link to the tablet you would be able to get traffic etc as well.

I do this on my asus transformer and a Samsung Galaxy tab

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ko

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:20 PM »

thanks Rob.. I have a stupid phone because I use it as a phone. that is why I am trying to stay away from linking. but a smallish computer with sat.gps is starting to sound pretty useful SOOO say a nexus with wi-fi and gps should handle my needs? they are fairly inexpensive. Window systems would run all of my exploring software (garmin)but I am not ready to pay that kind of money when I can use the laptops for that Plus they take up a lot of memory that is why I am looking at droid If I sound like I dont know what I am talking about it is because basically I DONT but that is why I am asking

have fun kurt
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:10 PM »

CoPilot GPS works with 250 Android based smartphones and tablets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&hl=en

CoPilot Live Demo on Nexus 7 Android Tablet

ATB,
Sam
ko

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:52 PM »

thanks Sam ! that should definitely cover me as long as I dont buy # 251

have fun kurt
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Couldn't you just buy a nexus 7 with a T-Mobile sim and take advantage of their free 200mb/mo of tablet data with no contract or payment? 200mb/mo should be enough to cover gps and mapping data traffic.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_32GB_Black_WiFi_Mobile_data_Unlocked_T_Mob?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013_lte_tmo&hl=en

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mobile-internet-data.html

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 12:13 AM »

Off your subject since I can't recommend a suitable app but the one indigo linked sure likes nice since it appears you can download the full US map. Since your GPS is basically passive (receive only) and the new FAA rules are going to allow us to turn on our phones radios except during take off and landings would something like this allow me track my location while flying? I sure would like to know what I'm looking down on when I'm flying.

I was once successful getting a fix using GPS Status and emailing it to myself over a particularly interesting spot. But since you can't track on Google Maps at 30k feet since it requires connecting to a cell tower and at that altitude and speed it is next to impossible. So far I've been unsuccessful at being able to get a real time view of my route. I know I could run My Tracks and record the route and review it later but I really want to know while I'm looking at when I'm over it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 09:17 AM »

Couldn't you just buy a nexus 7 with a T-Mobile sim and take advantage of their free 200mb/mo of tablet data with no contract or payment? 200mb/mo should be enough to cover gps and mapping data traffic.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_32GB_Black_WiFi_Mobile_data_Unlocked_T_Mob?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013_lte_tmo&hl=en

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mobile-internet-data.html
looks like I can.buy the sim anytime  PERFECT .When I am traveling I can just purchase data as I go and will not be limited to coffee bars to connect Thank You.. A friend told me I was stupid for not owning a tablet He said they were made for me I told him I dont need no more steenken gadgets.. I was wrong
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:19 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:50 AM »

@ kurt...

my friends tell me I'm stupid for not having a smart phone!
Because, then I wouldnt need all my gadgets.   Cheesy Cheesy

But I'm too much like you.  Wink

- sent from my tablet
ko

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Hey Dano! Come on down to KP this year and we can both play with are gadgets (that sounds really bad) and hopefully have enough time in between to fly a kite or 6
Fedelio, I went into t-mobile today and  and bought the sim card. 11 bucks This should be perfect for my needs Thank You
Sam I will be loading the mapping software monday .Free but for the wopping price of $10 a year you get updates, live traffic and all kinds of good stuff THANK YOU again also
Rob Thank you for steering me
in the right direction (pun intended)
this forum ROCKS
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:45 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 07:21 PM »

I learned something off this topic too, Thanks!

KP with KO... ?
It's been the highligh of the new year for 5 years straight.  Grin
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:08 PM »

Hopefully it works out to be just what you were looking for. Let us know how it goes for you.

Fdeli
ko

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44 PM »

everything and more! The sat nav (co-pilot) works really well ..  It got me to the hardware store and back!!!!  and the voice  doesnt really bother me as much as I thought it would..I think come May I will push it a bit harder .. Say 1500 miles of mid to northern.  CA. On and off road I just dont tire of my state. I also found a couple of apps that may work for the offroad stuff just have to check it out. Android for me is very intuative REALLY simple.. For those that like a challenge (mind benders) this is not for you PS probably wont need the nav for Kite Party THANKS ALL if anyone is interested in the offroad apps let me know I have some links

have fun kurt
tarheel
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:15 PM »

I put the Co-Pilot on my phone and like it.  It's a great navigation tool and a very hand check on the car's speedometer accuracy. 

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change