GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 02:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATM SUL  (Read 1665 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04 PM »

I have to agree with the others, Tom! That is some of the best flying I've ever seen. Execution of tricks doesn't get any more perfect! Sweetest looking Cometes I have ever seen!

So which ATM do you like the best?...The yellow UL or this red SUL? And ...what differences have you observed between the two....besides the obvious (wind range)?

Thanks Bill!   

Both kites have the same nature and abilities.  I would classify both as able to take more wind than you might think.  You probably would be fine with an SUL And UL for most all reasonable wind.  I have yet to try the standard and am not sure what it is framed in.

With the SUL, I just fly as-is with no bridle adjustment.   With the UL, I would move the nose one knot (it's an easy designed to be moved among 3 knots) nose-forward in higher wind in order to reduce pull.  It also flys great this way in lower winds.  The point is, that moving it forward one, you can fly the UL where you would fly standards.

I think it's a matter of what wind that you've got.

Here in Seattle at Kite hill we generally get really bad wind which this kite does fine with.   It's also usually low bad wind, so likely a continually changing 2-9 with some smooth stuff here and there.    Of course, maybe 20% of the time the wind is very nice when it's coming straight north or south.   So, given the lighter winds we usually get, I prefer the SUL overall.

In higher winds, the UL of course makes it all easier, as does the standard I'm sure. 

Again, it's the same basic feel/song with the loudness turned up or down based on the model.  If anything, tricks are easier with the extra mass.  

Where I fly the SUL has that rare it just feels all around sweet feeling to it that I look for in a favorite kite.   I fly it in pretty high wind as well, but I don't crash much anymore either.  I'd like to try the standard or perhaps a vented light (!) to see how they work in my local wind.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:24 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 03:17 PM »

Thank you very much Tom for your awesome review. As always beautiful flying there, so smooth and you look relaxing and enjoy the quality time Smiley

Have a nice day.
tpatter

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 09:17 AM »

Thank you very much Tom for your awesome review. As always beautiful flying there, so smooth and you look relaxing and enjoy the quality time Smiley

Have a nice day.

You are welcome Lam - thanks for the great kite.

I've uploaded to vimeo - people were telling me that the youtube vide is blocked on some phones. 

6 kite tom
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40 AM »

Im not sure if I'd told you this, but I always try to model my pitch based maneuvers off of your flying. I keep watching this video and oh my GOD the multilazys at 440, even rolled up, look stunning. Minimal movement in the sky, great pacing, etc. Looks phenomenal.

Keep it up!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 07:18 PM »

Im not sure if I'd told you this, but I always try to model my pitch based maneuvers off of your flying. I keep watching this video and oh my GOD the multilazys at 440, even rolled up, look stunning. Minimal movement in the sky, great pacing, etc. Looks phenomenal.

Keep it up!

Wow - I am humbled - thank you!  I always enjoy your videos - so smooth and flowing with the music.

You should def try this kite out when you get a chance - I'm really enjoying it. 

-Tom

6 kite tom
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48 PM »

HMMM ... I have the Fearless and Transformer SUL's but can't imagine something as lofty as the Tattoo ... tempted to buy the ATM but I am overloaded in LAM inventory ... not that its a bad thing ... with each repair this summer in 2014 (if any) you can add those claw yo-yo stoppers LAM ... the Tattoo is my favorite kite ... no doubt ... in almost windless conditions off the ocean ... can't be described in words ...

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37 PM »

Keep it up!

Wow - I am humbled - thank you!  I always enjoy your videos - so smooth and flowing with the music.

You should def try this kite out when you get a chance - I'm really enjoying it. 

-Tom

Well thanks. I'll certainly give one a shot when I see one around a field. Assuming things go as planned this summer, I'll probably be on the west coast a bit for a few music festivals. Maybe we can figure something out!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32 AM »

I'll probably be on the west coast a bit for a few music festivals. Maybe we can figure something out!

Send me a message when you come out.  I can't promise wind, but you can try anything in my bag. 

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document