GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 01:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YASS - Yet another Six Sense  (Read 1600 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: December 08, 2013, 05:20 PM »

My addition to the Six Sense gene pool:

Many thanks to Dave for his design and plans, Paul Shirey for my first kite build - a Sano kit, Ken McNeill for his Muse workshop and all those wonderful kites, Frazer for the suggestion to build, and to all you fellow builders who have shared their experiences online.

My build pictorial is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/101290896467405554640/SixSenseBuild

Please accept this as my application to the HKBS (Home Kite Builders Society), that esteemed worldwide group of like minded kite fanatics.

Comments welcome, be nice...

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
Stuart99

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:13 PM »

Awesome looking kite, and I really enjoyed looking at the build documentation! I see you added a leech line, you probably already know, but Davide designed it (at least the std as far as I know) without one. My std SS is a bit loud, but I feel that it helps with speed control a bit, especially if you are going to fly figures or compete. You may want to try flying with it loose when you get a chance.

I put a leech line in my UL, though, to get a bit more bottom end out of it.
stapp59

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15 PM »

Thanks for the comments. We shall see about the leech line.  Finished the kite this afternoon so its out in the car now  Grin

Awesome looking kite, and I really enjoyed looking at the build documentation! I see you added a leech line, you probably already know, but Davide designed it (at least the std as far as I know) without one. My std SS is a bit loud, but I feel that it helps with speed control a bit, especially if you are going to fly figures or compete. You may want to try flying with it loose when you get a chance.

Steve in Indiana
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:23 PM »

That is really nice.

Really Nice.

Smiley
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Looking great, nice build!

Mike
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:24 PM »

I added one to my std too.  I haven't tightened it yet preferring to see how it flies as planned.  So far speed is very consistent, however it gets loud starting around 6 mph.  Lots of buzz in the keel more so than the wing tips.
stapp59

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:37 AM »

Do you still have that asym black and white Exile?  An influence for sure...

That is really nice.

Really Nice.

Smiley

Steve in Indiana
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:35 PM »

I do!

You know I like a well laid out Asym.

Wink
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Yup, good looking kite for sure.

Congratulations on entry into the HKBS.  Smiley Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
iwan00

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 02:12 AM »

That's what i call "NICE JOB!!!"
I have thought about asymetry while designing my SSense but i went to clasic desing, now i know it was wrong idea Smiley

Nice job, SSense will give You a lot of fun in the air.
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:08 AM »

Looks great!  Great build pics too!
stapp59

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:23 AM »

So I made it out yesterday afternoon for an hour in perfect testing conditions.  20 degrees, light snow, winds to the low teens, wind chill to single digits.  Brrrr.  Someone beam me to San Diego please...

First impression is the SS is a full sized, slower paced, well balanced and behaved, trick capable machine.  Seems most like the ATM than anything else in my bag.  Am going to enjoy spending time with this kite and it does look good in the snow.

The TE gives a gentle buzzing whenever the sail pressure builds up and the kite is not prone to accelerate so I'm not inclined to untie the leech line.

As the upper spreader pulls the LEs together, I went home and replaced the nose with a Tim Benson Superfly configuration which offers better lateral support in this situation. The surgery went well, the kite is back out in the car, and pics added to the build pictorial.

Thanks for all the positive comments.  I am pleased with how this came out.  Now have to order some 3PTs to frame up the UL...

Steve in Indiana
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17 AM »

Sorry for the flying conditions but the kite in this picture looks even nicer than it already did in the first!
 Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 06:29 AM »

BTW, I just had a look at your pictures in your Picasa albums. Excellent!  Huh
And thanks so much for sharing so much knowledge on constructing the kites and marvellous results!  Smiley
Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
stapp59

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20 AM »

Thanks Ara  Smiley Always something to learn. The goals of most DIYers are to meet their own expectations, learn and share something new, improve current skills, and have fun doing it.  Its nice if you can save a few $$ and meet the minimum expectations of others.  You don't want people casually looking at your work and saying "Sooo you did that yourself did you?"  Roll Eyes

BTW, I just had a look at your pictures in your Picasa albums. Excellent!  Huh
And thanks so much for sharing so much knowledge on constructing the kites and marvellous results!  Smiley
Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:44 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document