GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet Emotion by Skydog  (Read 2962 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: February 25, 2010, 05:58 PM »

Listed at 91" on the bag and 86" on their website.
Wind range listed at 3-20 mph. Realistically, I'd say more like 6 mph, at least up here in Las Vegas.

4-10 mph bumpy winds
100' x 90# line (mine, not the included lineset)
2300' altitude
55F late afternoon
Flown stock except for the standoff positions.

I have now flown the Dream On, Cross Fire and Sweet Emotion. The cheapest of the 3, the Dream On flies the best but is the least tricky. As you go up in price you get a trickier kite with better nose treatment and reinforcement and better materials.

Construction: The Sweet Emotion is a high aspect ratio, weighted kite. The lower spreaders are Dynamic 18s, didn't check the rest of the frame. This is a relatively heavy, very taut sailed kite. There is reinforcement where it should be. The nose is very well executed and the construction overall is pretty good. I'm not an expert in construction. The keel has 2 brass weights around the spine. When the standoffs are inserted into the connectors, the lower spreader bends several inches and the lower spreader connectors twist outward to relieve some of the bending stress. After pushing the connectors back a few times, I ended up slanting the standoffs toward the center-T about 30 to back off the pressure. The LS connectors still rotated a little, but there was never any issue of the spreaders coming unseated.

Visually: I like the look of the kite. The grey on the wingtips doesn't follow the lines of the grey in the rest of the kite. I noticed it but didn't find it bothersome. The grey has a jet plane profile to it and the black laid over the kite works in my eyes.

Precision: Not really. The less expensive Dream On actually had fairly nice precision and was quite well mannered. The Cross Fire and Sweet Emotion are more trick oriented. The Sweet Emotion has a fairly tight spin radius, which I prefer for tricks. The kite became solid around 6 mph and fast by 10 mph. I'd be surprised if anyone would want to try this kite above 15 mph. But that is pretty normal for a standard at any price. There was no noise from the kite at any time.

Tricks: The SE feels like it is one solid thing. The sail feels taut although there is a little motion when you shake the kite. Everything trickwise happens quickly. The weight of the frame and keel rings makes the kite flip quickly. My timing was off as I am not use to this weight, but I was able to do my limited tricks  easily. Spin tricks aren't particuarly nice looking, but they are very easy to do. Cascades, half axels, slot machines, Taz machines were there. What surprised me was how easy it was to roll up the kite in the forward direction. I didn't know what to do after the kite wound up because I almost never get a forward roll up. But the SE was pretty straightforward in its ability to pitch in either direction. At the same time, the kite didn't instantly fall on its back like a lot of pitch happy tricksters. It would start to go back when tension was released, but not nearly as bad as others I've flown.

Summary: For $180, you get a well made trickster with an outstanding nose finish and a pitch oriented, high aspect flippy attitude. There are many on this Forum who are better trick fliers than myself who would like this kite.

That's 3 for 3 from Dodd and Skydog. For the money they are all a good deal.

6 pictures start on my Picasa site at the linked photo below:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:01 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:03 PM »

dynamic rods??? do you think it was made in the flying wings factory???
sounds sort of like an old school trick kite... hmmmmm

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07 PM »

dynamic rods??? do you think it was made in the flying wings factory???

Most Flying Wings kites are NOT made in their factory, but outsourced to a mainland China facility.  I believe the Soul and the Prediction are made by Flying Wings in Taiwan.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:23 AM »

The Soul and Prediction are very nice and well made kites.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography