GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 10:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some photos from my recent vacation  (Read 1236 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 08, 2013, 07:25 PM »

My wife and I recently took a month long trip to Europe... and tried with all our might to get to the west coast of Italy to meet some some of you face to face, but couldn't make it happen with our previous arrangements.  Anyway, here are some photos from the trip if you're at all curious! 

An afternoon in Rome:

Chianti region/Italian country side

Cinque Terre (possibly cliche views that everyone has seen, but it was really wonderful!)

sugarbaker

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Lake Como

Chamonix France

Paris and London

Those are the highlights, and covers most of the trip minus a few spots!  Thanks for taking a peek.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Some beautiful pictures.

The black and whites particularly.

Thanks.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
sugarbaker

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:47 PM »

You're quite welcome!  Photography is one of my lessor known hobbies, and having learned my techniques at the end of the film era (I think it's safe to say the world has effectively moved on from film with the exception of a few die hards) the black and white tend to be the ones I appreciate the most as well.  Regardless, I'm glad you enjoy the photos.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 08:01 PM »

Thanks - amazing pictures.   Especially welcome with is long cold-snap we've been in for a week now. 

6 kite tom
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:18 PM »

Nice frame compositions. Landscapes are gorgeous.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52 AM »

Truly enjoyed your photos!

Post-card PERFECT!   ...Awesome!!!!!!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 06:54 PM »

Well done!

Steady winds, y'all.
sugarbaker

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I'm glad you enjoy the photos.
Deltasteve
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:10 PM »

Very nice shots.  Did you fly?
sugarbaker

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 08:45 AM »

We flew from the states (a given I think...).  Our main source of travel when in Europe was train and foot.  Most of our time in the Chianti region of Italy was on foot... at Greve and the surrounding countryside.   

All photos are from the ground (although we found ourselves standing at very high points!  The Aiguille du Midi is a stunning cable car ride that leaves you perched at the top of the French Alps with views of Mont Blanc and surrounding mountains).
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:05 AM »

Excellent sugarbaker!

I've been to some of those places and you have really achieved great pictures.

Are those HDR effects post production by you or does your camera do the HDR already?
I sometimes dislike HDR but some of your pictures are excellent examples of great use of it. For example in the Chamonix pictures, especially the B&W. Also in the bridge and St Paul's.

Very nice!  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
sugarbaker

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 02:49 PM »

When discussing High Dynamic Range Photography, the common method is to shoot a scene with multiple exposures in order to capture detail in high light and shadow area... then in post production layer the photos and edit to meet the artist's perception or desired outcome.

All of the photos I've posted here originate from a single exposure.  That being said, today's digital cameras do have higher dynamic range than earlier digital models. 

My post production routine consists of balancing exposure based on a histogram, making mild bumps in contrast and saturation, and making the occasional black and white version of a photo.  The majority of the color photos that I have posted have very minimal editing from the original exposure.  I make my best attempts to capture scenes that utilize the soft light of morning and evening (rather than mid day).  Probably my favorite photo here is the black and white mountain scene (taken in Chamonix). 

Here is the color version, straight from the camera (although converted to JPEG in Aperture in order to upload to Picasaweb where I host the photos I use here on the forum). I post it only to demonstrate why I chose that one to convert to black and white... it has a lots of compositional value, but very little interest in terms of the colors in the scene.  When that is the case, I give it a shot as a black and white. 

Deltasteve

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 12:34 PM »

We flew from the states (a given I think...).  Our main source of travel when in Europe was train and foot.  Most of our time in the Chianti region of Italy was on foot... at Greve and the surrounding countryside.   

All photos are from the ground (although we found ourselves standing at very high points!  The Aiguille du Midi is a stunning cable car ride that leaves you perched at the top of the French Alps with views of Mont Blanc and surrounding mountains).

Ha!  Nope, I meant did you FLY a kite!?  Smiley
sugarbaker

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 04:47 PM »

Ha!  Nope, I meant did you FLY a kite!?  Smiley

Ha indeed!  Sadly, I did not get a chance to fly a kite while I was there.  I had packed a prism 4d, but it was unfortunately left (inadvertently) at the first apartment we stayed at in Rome.  The gentleman who rented the apartment to us did ship it back to me (which I would have told him to keep based on the cost of shipping from Italy, but he sent it without notifying me).  So, I have a prism 4d that has traveled to Italy, but never flown there!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document