GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Fazer XL  (Read 1453 times)
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 22, 2013, 08:55 PM »

I want to get my first speed kite.  I saw my first in action at the last Kite Party and it looked like fun!  I was going to buy a HQ X-Celerator off Amazon the other day for a way cheap price, but then they ran out of them.  Meantime I started looking at some alternatives and the HQ Fazer XL caught my eye.  As usual, my choice is a combination of aesthetics and logic, and not wanting to spend a lot more money on a giant kite (like the Fazer XXL). 

Anyone out there used the Fazer XL and have anything to say about it, good or bad?  Just curious...

Scott

P.S.  Merry Christmas to all! 

Scott Madsen
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:44 PM »

The HQ-Kites Fazer XL (wingspan 280 cm) is not a speedkite but a Powerkite.  Wink

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:23 AM »

Yes the Fazer Xl is really more about power than speed. 'Proper' speedkites are very quick but can be a bit difficult to launch.  If you are looking for something fast and fun in higher winds then the HQ Delta Hawk is a lot of fun for not a lot of cash. Again it isn't a proper speedkite, but it's pretty quick in 20mph+ wind and it's rated all the way up to 47mph if you can hang on ( it will fly in lower winds but really needs 18mph+ to be fun). Don't be fooled by it's small size, it'll try and pull your arms off in high wind!

Lenkdrachen Delta Hawk von HQ

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:46 AM »

I wouldn't call any version of the fazer a speedkite, it is just faster then normal kites, thats it.
Makalu1

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:16 AM »

Perhaps someone could offer a better definition of "power" and "speed" kites. 

I guess I had thought of a power kite as one that someone might use to pull something, a kite where you would use the power.  I thought of speed kites as being designed simply to move fast, like a real fast dual-line kite.

Can you offer more examples of "speed" kites?

Scott Madsen
ae

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:25 AM »

Yes it is difficult,
lets call it a beginner speed kite, just like a beebop could be called a beginner trickkite, compared to stuff like Veyron, hugo etc.

Real speed kites, stuff that is made for speed and nothing else, anything by Long Doung those are pretty much the epitome of speed kites.
If you are looking for something from a bigger retailer, Balor 160 by Level One is also very fast in the right winds and much easier to fly then a Long.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:31 AM »

I guess it's a fine line.  Typically, the smaller kites like the Tiger II and X-Celerator are quicker.  Once you get to a certain size they start slowing down a bit and the power increases accordingly.  I have a Spiderkites Atrax High AR (U.R.O.) that technically I guess you could say is a speed kite but I consider it more speed/power due to it's size (8'+).  It really starts to pull hard in proper winds.  My Level One Razorback is kind of right on the line between the two @ ~6ft wingspan.  Of course wingspan isn't everything.  In crazy ballistic winds the Tiger II will pull as much as the Atrax in lower winds just due to sheer speed.

The HQ X-Celerator is a fairly decent starter speed kite.  Pretty fast in the proper winds.  Easier to launch than the Tiger II.  I used to have one but sold it awhile back.

That may have been my black Tiger II you saw at the last kite party. Wink  If it's the one Mark & Kent were flying...

dang looks like ae beat me too it... hah!
Makalu1

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:08 PM »

Thanks guys.  Maybe I'm back to the X-Celerator then.  Looks like those Tigers and other Duong kite line is going to be harder to find. 

Smeagol, that must have been your kite then.  I don't recall the wind speed that afternoon, but that kite flew like a banshee!  I had a hard time finding a link to purchase one like that, any suggestions?  Does anyone sell them in the US?

Scott Madsen
ae

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:09 PM »

Long has a blog his son runs, thats it. No resellers.
Makalu1

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58 PM »

Anyone know specific contact info for Long to see about getting one of those Tiger II's?  About given up on the X-Celerator for now.

Scott Madsen
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 12:14 PM »

Anyone know specific contact info for Long to see about getting one of those Tiger II's?  About given up on the X-Celerator for now.

Contact info PMed to you.

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document