GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 08:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Extras Shouldn't Be Included  (Read 4313 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 21, 2009, 10:34 AM »

I briefly flew the Skydog Thunderstruck Friday evening. The kite flew competently..... but:

The included lines will probably turn newbies off to kiting.

The lines come on a winder, have straps and look normal enough. But the amount of stretch was so large that I hit the kite into the ground on several turns, just because my arms length pull on one line didn't turn the kite in a tight enough radius. I'm estimating the stretch at 10 mph to be maybe 5%. On an 80 foot line, that's 4 feet of stretch.

Suppose you're a younger person (is that politically correct?) with normal arms for your age and you are flying the kite as a beginner. It's hard enough figuring out how to fly (beginners tend to over react anyway). Then add enough stretch/lag to negate the effect of moving your arms at all.

That is the problem we ran into. I had taught this lad how to fly (barely) on one of my kites and he was making upward turns and keeping the Opium in the air. Then we shifted over to the Thunderstruck on the included lines. He kept crashing. So I took the lines, and I crashed. Not as much of course, but a few times during simple turns.

The kite itself was fine as far as I could tell during straight flight and mild turns. But that line could cause solo flyers to put the kite and the line in a closet and go back to video games.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54 AM »

I agree John, if they wanted to save a few bucks they should have omitted the line set instead of using cheesy line.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:50 AM »

When it is too hot to fly, video games and kids kinda go together today.

"Do what you like"
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:24 PM »

i had the same problem on the first step kite i bought for begininers. i just tossed the line- it was HORRIBLE!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:20 PM »

I didn't try the included lineset which came with the Cross Fire. If it's the same line, the stretch will be even worse as the Cross Fire is a larger kite.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 05:35 PM »

Why you young whippersnapper,

In my day you learned to fly with Nylon line, and liked it.

Cheesy
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 08:52 PM »

They had kites back then? Wow.  Huh

ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:15 AM »

How about prestretching the line. I do that with all my new linesets....just to know....and fix

"Do what you like"
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:55 AM »

John:
can you please forward this to skydogs????specifically Jim C or Jim C....

I just hope that your thoughts are being passed along to the right person and not just here.

how did the kites quality look???
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:07 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01 AM »

the idea of bashing them here on the forum without approaching them first is not appealing to me since they are a new company starting out at a hard time in the kite world...

Firstly, it's hardly a bash at all and secondly, all of the major players in Skydog should have enough time in the industry to know that poor lines will reduce even the finest kite to a frustrating experience. If they hadn't heard that their lines are a problem before then now they have (if they read this forum).

Poor lines, chafing straps, storage cases that you don't use.... all of these things don't help manufacturers or retailers.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
dyfrgi
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:10 AM »

Poor lines, chafing straps, storage cases that you don't use.... all of these things don't help manufacturers or retailers.

If by "storage cases you don't use" you're referring to the padded cases with the extra pouch for accessories (line set, field instructions, etc.), I disagree. Those cases are better for newbies than a simple sleeve, since newbies don't have a separate kite bag which holds multiple kites and line sets. Such bags only become really useful when you're bringing 3 or more kites out to the field.

I know that I, as a newbie, don't have one, and would find a pouch on my Muse bag for carrying a line set and ground stake to be useful. As with many things, there are trade-offs between what's good for each market segment.
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33 AM »

I forwarded a link for this thread to Jim Cosca yesterday. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 10:57 AM »

thief,
If you read the text under my pictures for the Cross Fire, you will see that I was quite complimentary. I also said the bag was quite sturdy. I made a few suggestions on what I'd like to see as an improvement and 1 small QC comment on a keeper line. These kites are at a higher level than New Tech kites I've seen in the past.

If you read the text under the Thunderstruck in my opening subject to this thread, you will see that I said the kite flew competently. I didn't fly it long enough to say more than that.

If it is okay to post positive comments about kites on this Forum, then it is okay to post negative comments too. In Robert Heinlein's eyes, we should probably all just be Fair Witnesses (Stranger In A Strange Land).

ezme6,
As far as prestretching the lines...... the target market for these kites will not know how to do this or may read/hear about prestretching but not realize what that is. And any flyer who has his/her own lines won't bother to use the included lineset at all.

Kitelife,
Thanks for providing the link to Skydog. I had previously sent a link to my Cross Fire pictures and comments to Jim Cosca. Although on that kite, I hadn't thought to try the included lineset and just used one of my own. So the stretching "incident" did not occur with that kite.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:33 AM by chilese » Logged

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:47 AM »

That is a good looking kite though.  I think that Skydog has a very good start and should be praised for starting a new kite company up in today's economy, especially when so many kite stores are struggling or closing.

From what I have seen, the kits do have some very nice construction and the designs are unique and appealing.  Factory lines are always a concern with me, it's like putting wheel barrow tires on a Ferrari.  Even the best of kites (BMK, Benson, Prism, Revolution etc...) will fly horrible if the lines are crap.  I agree, if you aren't going to supply top quality lines such as LPG or Shanti, don't bother with garbage lines at all, just leave them out.  It only hurts the industry by frustrating potential new flyers.

The Crossfire is a great kite and can trick with the best of them.  The other Skydog kites are also very high quality products and for what they are designed for, work very nicely. Smiley  The lines ...  well, if they fix that then it would be a very positive step forward.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:06 PM »

i was not meaning anything bad I was just hoping that any sort of review provided would also be passed along to the manufacturer....I want Sky Dog to do well and since i have not seen nor heard anything about their products was just interested to see if word had been passed along...i am sorry if bashed was too harsh.....

honestly-the pictures-i very rarely visit a Webshots album any more...i find the place to be too troublesome to go through (even tho John I know your pix are great the fact that webshots is involved turns me off) what with the extra advertisements pop ups et al....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document