GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B'zar 2011 on the table  (Read 2450 times)
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 30, 2013, 04:02 PM »

Well I finally got aroung to starting the B'zar 2011 STD.  I just moved my kite building area into the unfinished part of my basement.  The most versatile tool I have turned out to be two 3/4 MDF which were 4'X8' sheets each cut into two 2' X 6" and one 2'X4' board giving a total of 4 sheets 2' X 6' and two 2'X4'.  I have been able to configure those boards numerous ways to help with various kites I have built

I placed them on my pool table to lay out and cut 4X6 roks

I've cut and layed out large panels for a 2.5M FF04a

Now I've moved them to have a cut out table.  The 6' length nicely accommodates fabric rolls.  I placed this on top of a workbench

I've placed two 2X6' side by side to use as a layout table and sewing table

And I've placed a 2X4' board to use as a spar/ bridle area

DMF

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:13 PM »

To date I have cut out all the panels and glued up the right one. 

Here is the flat layout

Here is how I dealt with the offset panels used to create the billowing of the sail.

I placed a sheet of metal underneath the layout. 

I then used magnets to hold the panel with the extra material in place

After I glued the panel in place I then taped the seam to hold it while I sew. 

I will hopefully start sewing the panel tomorrow.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32 PM »

looking good.  I like your 'magnet method' for controlling the fabric during your glue up stage.  Looking forward to your future updates.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:39 AM »

Always good to see others projects and techniques.  The magnets are a novel idea to hold down the panels while joining the sail together.  I've used heavy steel weights and painters tape.  Ken McNeill uses a sticky mat. Paul Shirey used a light spray of contact glue on his work surface.

Keep the progress reports coming! 

I really like your GD Rok btw.  Did you create templates or enlarge the paper copy and cut with scissors or ??

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
DMF

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:44 AM »

I really like your GD Rok btw.  Did you create templates or enlarge the paper copy and cut with scissors or ??

thanks, the colour combo of the logo are great!  I used a projector and sandwiched all the colours together. Might not have been the most efficient use of ripstop but it worked out in the end.

Check out this link to see how I built it 

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8927&highlight=steal+face
DMF

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:06 PM »

One side is now sewn.  Here's what I do prior to sewing. 

First I change out to a new needle, I got that idea from one of Sugarbakers builds. 

I then reset the tension using some scraps of Icarex.  Nothing fancy but I'll run through what I do.

In the picture below you can see how I do this.  I simple run a triple stitch up the icarex with the correct number of layers.  As the stitch runs I stop and change the tension setting and number the area according to the tension setting.

I then look on both side to see what tension works the best.  I am looking to see that the loops between the stitches are buried. 

This is how it should look

Notice how the front and back look similar. 

In number 1 it is clear that the tension setting is too low because the loops are pulled through the back.

something else that I have got in the habit of doing Is leaving notes to myself!  Since  I tend to have frequent interruptions I will make notes so I don't forget certain steps.

I put them right on the kite with painters tape so I can't miss it. 
DMF

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:07 PM »

Here's the right wing

Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:09 PM »

Looking good!

I have always wanted to build this one, but something else always stole my attention away from it. Let us know how it flies when you are finished.
DMF

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:05 PM »

2 sides done and joined.  Now planning on how to reinforce the nose and spine.

stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:33 PM »

The colors work well together.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 02:50 PM »

I really like how this one looks. 

It looks like the newer R-Sky kites which is great.

6 kite tom
DMF

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 03:45 PM »

I really like how this one looks. 

It looks like the newer R-Sky kites which is great.

I must admit I did comb through the r sky website looking for colour ideas.  I also drove my wife and kids crazy with different combos. 
DMF

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37 AM »

I need a little help with the center T location. The plan say that it is located 550 mm from nose but the markings on the full size are closer to 570 mm  also the distance between the upper and lower spreader on the full size plans are different from the measurements on the frame details picture. Any suggestions, thoughts?
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52 PM »

It's been a while since I built my B'zar (actually thinking I'll build a second one though).  Regarding the Center T.  When I built mine, I recall making the mark on the plan the location of the Center T.  The difference you are finding in dimensions could be related to the reference point and the point in the build in which you make the measurement. 

In the end, about 1cm of the sail is trimmed off the nose (prior to finishing re-enforcements).
Then, the nose pocket is stitched about a centimeter lower than the end of the sail (if you are referencing the build I documented a few years ago, I did not follow the plan exactly, so keep that in mind.)

With those two differences, I would make the assumption that the 550mm indicated in the framing plan indicate the distance from the Center T to the end of the spine (the actual spar).  Regardless of this, I would not cut the hole for the Center T until you are further in the build and you can test this theory by fitting the spine and measuring.  Then you can compare measurement to the marked plan location.

Anyway, you're making excellent process.  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56 AM »

2 sides done and joined.  Now planning on how to reinforce the nose and spine.

VERY pretty!
I like the R-Sky style that you have incorporated in your layout. The panels of the B'zar lend themselves to doing this, but not all kites allow it.
I tried this strategy when messing with the colours for my LeQuartz and for my upcoming Sixth Sense and couldn't get the right R-Sky feeling. So I opted for different styles altogether.
But you managed very well.
I will be looking forward to the finished kite!
Congratulations.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document