540 flat spin and slot machine entering

(1/4) > >>

vigli:
Hi
Wishing You to all Happy New year and smooth wind to follow You all... ;)

Short question:
Kite position before tug for 540 is nose away! OK!
Is kite position (before tug for rotation) for slot machine same as for 540 flat spin (nose away)?...or it's nose has to be more direct to the pilot?
Thanks
boris

Ara Ararauna:
I have heard different versions so I'll tell you what works for me.

For me the slot machine is "stop the kite and make it spin"
So the first tug on the upper wing for me is a gesture to stop the kite in its lateral trajectory.
Stopping the kite also makes the top wing come towards you, with the nose still pointing in the same direction it was going.
It is at this point, when the kite is like floating, that I give the second tug to make it spin.
Two things are important for me at this point:
1. Give a LOT of slack with the other hand (even take a step or two forward) from the beginning of the trick
2. Give a lot of slack with the hand that you gave the two tugs with, after the second tug.
Then, when the kite has almost spun all 360 step back and pull both lines to recover control.

Here's a video in which I manage to get some relatively nice slots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kwfusqIMjaw

Since I am flying an SUL they are done a bit as if in slow motion and therefore it helps to see how they work.
Especially good is the first at 0:33 and that at 3:34.
There are others (3 one after the other) at 0:44, one at 1:48, two at 3:42 & and one at 3:47.

So as you can see the nose does not really change for me in the slot and hence does not resemble the 540.

There are also a few 540 in this video (the rest is my useless tries at getting a fade  ;) )

Hope this helps.

vigli:
Ara
Thanks a lot
It is important to get good timing to made slot almost same each time. Mine slots are more variable but didn't practice them a lot.
Your flying is very nice and clean
Best, boris

KaoS:
Quote from: vigli on January 05, 2014, 01:13 PM

Short question:
Kite position before tug for 540 is nose away! OK!

Absolutely, and this is because the flat spin is (generally) entered from a downward traveling kite.  So the flare movement pushes the nose of the kite directly away from the flyer.

Quote from: vigli on January 05, 2014, 01:13 PM

Is kite position (before tug for rotation) for slot machine same as for 540 flat spin (nose away)?...or it's nose has to be more direct to the pilot?

The slot machine is entered from horizontal flight (or a close variation).  The movement to flatten the kite out also pushes the nose away from the flyer, but initially at an angle of about 45 degrees away from you.  Once the kite is flattened out, you can pop the line on the outer wing and initiate a slot machine.  It isn't so much "where the nose is pointing", but "when the kite has flattened out".

ko:
get Allen and Rob B to chime in there 540's are insane Of course Allen cheats with his ready made for flat stuff kites

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page