GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 07:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 540 flat spin and slot machine entering  (Read 1728 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 05, 2014, 01:13 PM »

Hi
Wishing You to all Happy New year and smooth wind to follow You all... Wink

Short question:
Kite position before tug for 540 is nose away! OK!
Is kite position (before tug for rotation) for slot machine same as for 540 flat spin (nose away)?...or it's nose has to be more direct to the pilot?
Thanks
boris
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:40 PM by vigli » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:57 PM »

I have heard different versions so I'll tell you what works for me.

For me the slot machine is "stop the kite and make it spin"
So the first tug on the upper wing for me is a gesture to stop the kite in its lateral trajectory.
Stopping the kite also makes the top wing come towards you, with the nose still pointing in the same direction it was going.
It is at this point, when the kite is like floating, that I give the second tug to make it spin.
Two things are important for me at this point:
1. Give a LOT of slack with the other hand (even take a step or two forward) from the beginning of the trick
2. Give a lot of slack with the hand that you gave the two tugs with, after the second tug.
Then, when the kite has almost spun all 360 step back and pull both lines to recover control.

Here's a video in which I manage to get some relatively nice slots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kwfusqIMjaw

Since I am flying an SUL they are done a bit as if in slow motion and therefore it helps to see how they work.
Especially good is the first at 0:33 and that at 3:34.
There are others (3 one after the other) at 0:44, one at 1:48, two at 3:42 & and one at 3:47.

So as you can see the nose does not really change for me in the slot and hence does not resemble the 540.

There are also a few 540 in this video (the rest is my useless tries at getting a fade  Wink )

Hope this helps.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
vigli

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:27 PM »

Ara
Thanks a lot
It is important to get good timing to made slot almost same each time. Mine slots are more variable but didn't practice them a lot.
Your flying is very nice and clean
Best, boris
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48 PM »

Short question:
Kite position before tug for 540 is nose away! OK!

Absolutely, and this is because the flat spin is (generally) entered from a downward traveling kite.  So the flare movement pushes the nose of the kite directly away from the flyer.

Is kite position (before tug for rotation) for slot machine same as for 540 flat spin (nose away)?...or it's nose has to be more direct to the pilot?

The slot machine is entered from horizontal flight (or a close variation).  The movement to flatten the kite out also pushes the nose away from the flyer, but initially at an angle of about 45 degrees away from you.  Once the kite is flattened out, you can pop the line on the outer wing and initiate a slot machine.  It isn't so much "where the nose is pointing", but "when the kite has flattened out".

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19 PM »

get Allen and Rob B to chime in there 540's are insane Of course Allen cheats with his ready made for flat stuff kites

have fun kurt
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51 PM »

I originally learned to to vertical slots (from Dan Whitney) "fly straight into the ground then about a foot before impact hit it twice on the same line just like cracking a whip".
musta drove his outerspace into the ground a hundred times before I got it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:53 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 06:53 PM »

seem to recall Dodd taught vertical slots in an early flight school

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03 PM »

JEEEZ Steve I completely forgot about the FLAT moves you pull off

have fun kurt
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:25 PM »

me too Kurt  Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 02:29 AM »

seem to recall Dodd taught vertical slots in an early flight school

This one perhaps?

Dodd's Sport Kite Flight School Flat Spin Group

I've not tried vertical slots - something new to try for 2014!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30 AM »

I originally learned to to vertical slots (from Dan Whitney) "fly straight into the ground then about a foot before impact hit it twice on the same line just like cracking a whip".
musta drove his outerspace into the ground a hundred times before I got it.

Me too! At Baylands. I remember it like yesterday. I was flying his Gemini and it must have been well trained 'cause I was hitting killer slots as long as he was standing there. The next day on my own kite? Not so much. (wow, that was probably 12 years ago!)

Allen, AKA kitehead
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35 AM »

Ara,  That is a Great Video... Music brought me back to first time I heard Tull.  Early 70's ...  Been stir crazy last week with a foot and half of snow.  Going Brain crazy over seeing  ???WHITE Huh everywhere.

Your video was a pleasant relief.  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Your skills are getting better... since that video is not recent one can see the vast improvements with the Aura.  No Wind and your really flying her... A real SUL ... send some links to some recent videos..

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
doddg

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 09:06 AM »

that is one of my favorite tricks, vertical slot machine. Not hard and impressive close to the ground,  and I like to add a rising fade at the end. If you check out my Black Ice Video  at http://www.youtube.com/doddtunes I have examples of many tricks including V-slots and Taz m... with flier and kite in the same shot with slo mo. Good luck and have fun, just waiting for warmer weather before I make some new ones for everyone....dodd
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:20 PM »

thanks, Dodd!

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
doddg

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40 AM »

You are welcome!  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document