GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Travel Kite Case: The Verdict is In!  (Read 4136 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 07, 2014, 02:42 PM »

I thought I'd share a recent discovery/acquisition I bought as a kite case. I was looking around for something to use to take as many kites as I could while traveling by plane. I did a lot of internet searching. I looked at golf travel cases, snowboard cases, archery bow cases, etc. ...and almost 'settled' for a youth size archery case which would have fallen within the size limits for Southwest Air  but was a little leary about it's shape (how well it would accommodate my kites) & it's durability. That's when I discovered the 'Plano All Weather 36" (Rifle) Takedown Case':

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=121&PID=874

Closed case has exterior dimensions of  40" x 15" x 5.5" (measure at the extreme outer edges , including the latches) and interior dimensions of 37" x 14" x 5" ...which makes it just under the 62" maximum size for Southwest's checked-in baggage size without falling into the over-sizd baggage cost. I might add that my trip down to the TISKC Festival will be the first time I travel with it but I don't anticipate having any difficulty using it as my 'free' 2nd checked in bag when I fly.

I ordered the case through Amazon and just got it yesterday. It comes with egg-crate padding in both top and bottom, as well as a 'pluck foam' insert for use with rifles or anything else you want to make customized compartments for within the case. The top padding is glued securely into the lid but both of the bottom paddings are completely removable, which is what I did to accommodate as many kites as I could, comfortably. I ended up being able to bring 2 full-sized 8'er deltas, 6 medium 7'+ (Nirvana NFX Extend size) kites, and a Rev B'series size kite. That's 9 kites total.

The case is ruggedly constructed and resembles a Pelican case, at about 1/4 of the price, & under $70. The case does NOT come with the grey interior straps you see in my photo. I installed those myself with pop-rivets as an added security in case TSA agents decide to open & inspect the case. I'm hoping this will help prevent them from mis-arranging my kites before closing the case back up for transport. If you decide to get one of these for yourself, the case is built with 5 latches (2 being being key lockable, however they can't be used as checked baggage) & you will need 'cable loop type' TSA locks since the fixed loops in the normal TSA luggage locks are too short. The latches are surrounded by heavy duty molded structures to help keep them from accidentally popping opened during baggage handling. It has a real nice heavy duty handle that 'clicks' down flat in a 'safe' position during baggage handling. The case is watertight, airtight & dust proof & has a pressure relief value.

All in all ...I think I have found the "perfect" kite travel-case for traveling (or shipping a lot of kites) by air! I have previously shipped kites down ahead of time in an "Airliner" heavy-duty collapsable plastic tube/case that's made for fishing rods ....but got charged an extra charge ...after the fact ...by UPS last year when I shipped them down south to a friend. UPS claimed the extra charge was justified due to the fact that the "container" wasn't 'square' and required extra care in handling. (Have I mentioned yet that I HATE UPS?) I should have fought the extra charge since they automatically billed me (on my credit card) after the shipment had reached it's destination without informing me of the extra charge ahead of time.  Angry

At any rate I was only able to ship 5 kites in the 'Airliner' tube and they were very tightly crammed inside. It required extreme care when sliding the upper portion of the tube down 'inside' the top portion of the tube as to not damage any of the kite's connectors & center T's.

Here's the rest of the photos I took of the new case:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62683296@N00/sets/72157639530917873/

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:12 AM by photogbill » Logged
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:15 PM »

I installed those myself with pop-rivets as an added security in case TSA agents decide to open & inspect the case. I'm hoping this will help prevent them from mis-arranging my kites before closing the case back up for transport.

I would love it if that part were true, but when I've flown with my R-Sky bag, with each kite neatly tucked into a pocket, the TSA choose to pull out every single kite, then just lump them all back into the bag with no attention given the care I had taken in packing the fragile kites to the center / durable kites to the outside.

When dealing with the TSA, the rule always has to be "assume they will screw it up in the worst way possible, and you won't be disappointed"
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21 PM »

I know my 'hopes' were mostly wishful thinking when it comes to TSA drones ...but at least I feel that I've done the extra effort to help insure my kites all arrive safely! I guess I'll find out soon enough!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:33 PM »

Please let us know how it works our for you. Very interested in this solution.
Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 04:35 PM »

It looks really nice. I bet the kites are well protected too.

That looks like a 61 Keys musical keyboard case. to get it under $70 was a great deal

A 61 Keys Keyboard case is around the same dimensions and have seen them for mid $100th to $200 at the music stores. Some are soft cases other hard cases. Maybe looking around can find them under $100.

I've always seen those keyboard cases every time I went to the music stores, but never thought of it. Great Discovery.

I'm going to TISKC Festival too. Hope to see you with your new case there  Smiley

Thanks photogbill
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:01 PM »

Please let us know how it works our for you. Very interested in this solution.

I sure will report back! 

It looks really nice. I bet the kites are well protected too.
I've always seen those keyboard cases every time I went to the music stores, but never thought of it. Great Discovery.

I'm going to TISKC Festival too. Hope to see you with your new case there  Smiley

Thanks photogbill

Thanks! It seems to be very durable and should be able to take some baggage handling abuse! I imagine if someone wanted to they could take the foam padding out from the lid and add a few more kites and still have plenty of protection ...since it's walls are pretty thick! I was happy to get 9 kites in there. I didn't think I'd be able to fit that many. I could probably of gone with one or two more but didn't want  to press my luck with the foam left in the lid. It does close 'snugly'.

I'll look forward to meeting you @ TI!

One more thing. Those cable style TSA locks do not keep the case lid from being raised slightly but since it will be checked in ...and picked up at baggage claims, as soon as I arrive at my airport destination...I'm not too concerned. I can always use the lockable latches for security in other circumstances if I want to.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 04:44 AM »

I use the SKB hard-sider for a set of golf clubs to travel.  I actually carry a putter in there too, so I can tell the airlines
"Honest, it's filled with sports & golf equipment" (NO weight restrictions apply)  Shave kit, knife, scissors, lighter, gortex suit, stout boots, all the crap goes in there.

It's on wheels and pretty darn tough, you can kick it or sit on top of it without damage.  The bride and I will lug two of these down to TISKC next thursday,.... see you there I hope!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:21 AM »

looks like a nice box...i also found this one on amazon: Plano Pillared Take Down Gun Case too...36" long....36$.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 12:02 PM »

I use the SKB hard-sider for a set of golf clubs to travel.  I actually carry a putter in there too, so I can tell the airlines
"Honest, it's filled with sports & golf equipment" (NO weight restrictions apply)  Shave kit, knife, scissors, lighter, gortex suit, stout boots, all the crap goes in there.

It's on wheels and pretty darn tough, you can kick it or sit on top of it without damage.  The bride and I will lug two of these down to TISKC next thursday,.... see you there I hope!

It sounds like you found a good system as well. We'll have to get together down in TI and compare travel cases ....LOL!

To update my post: I needed to purchase another TSA cable style lock since I only had the one seen in my previous photos that I had purchased awhile back at a TJMAXX, I think. I did an internet search and discovered similar locks made by Pelican Model# 1506TSA PeliLock. I decided to give them a try and ordered a set (2) of them.

I placed my order with one of my favorite online merchants B&H Photo & Video. I figured since they probably stocked Pelican travel cases that they would have the Pelican brand locks that I had found on Amazon. I was right and their price for the locks was virtually identical ....with two big differences. Two-to-three day expedited shipping (from both) was less than 1/2 price with B&H ...and B&H delivered them to me this afternoon ...as promised after ordering them yesterday afternoon at approx. 12 noon! ONE DAY! Actually I've ordered thousands of dollars in merchandise with B&H over the years and they are THE BEST when it comes to getting you your ordered 'in stock' merchandise in a fast timely manner of any online merchant I have ever used! I realize that I may be relatively close to them, mileage wise (NYC & Philadelphia Suburbs), but to get them to me that fast is pretty remarkable, IMO.  I highly recommend them for anything they sell! They are a very reputable and honest merchant! (They DO NOT sell kites or kite related products.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391999-REG/Pelican_1500_518_000_1506TSA_Lock.html

This photo shows the difference in the two cable locks (right-click image and 'Open image in new window' for larger view) :

Sharper Image brand on left & Pelican brand (Model# 1506TSA PeliLock) on right. The cable is thiner on the Pelican lock but it is also shorter so it doesn't allow your locked case to be opened as far when attached which makes your internal belongings safer from amateur thieves. I would imagine that a kite could be slid out with the 'Sharper Image' lock & I highly doubt it would be possible with the Pelican lock. Neither one would prevent a pro thief with the right tools from stealing your belongings. The pelican also just feels more solidly made & like it will be more durable. It's a little tricky setting your custom combination on the Pelican lock but that isn't anything you need to do very often.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:08 PM by photogbill » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:17 PM »

I just use a soft bag, stuff it Full, never had a problem, domestic or international flights.... Cool

"Do what you like"
photogbill

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:01 AM »

I just use a soft bag, stuff it Full, never had a problem, domestic or international flights.... Cool

I'm glad you've had good experiences. I'm just curious about a few things. By "soft bag" ...do you mean a soft multi-kite bag? Were the leading edges unassembled? What was the total size (length + width + height) of the baggage? Did any of the airlines try to charge you an extra charge for 'oversize' baggage?

This will be my first time traveling where I checked baggage in containing my kites. Previously. I've sent my kites down ahead of time to a friend by UPS

I guess I'm the untrusting type, in general ...and would rather take the extra precautions to protect my investments ...especially when it comes to the TSA & any other government agency!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25 AM »

i have done the soft bag thing before and traveled with a HQ Padded Travel bag (sadly long gone)

full of kites and clothing....

Back when Dodd was with New Tech he had a hand (i guess) in designing their big roll up bag....Dodd came to the Newport Kite Festival with his and unrolled it on the field...out poured kites, shirts, pants, socks and everything.....but the kites were safe..

i do carry my Scott Hampton kites flat in an archery bow case....That keeps the kites flat....and safe....and that way i can also lash the case right to the roof rack with out any worries for driving travel......

my wife and i drove up to Moncton Canada for the 2011 Dieppe Canada kite festival....the archery bow case was in the car and i had forgotten what it actually was.....
the border guard asked if i had any weapons...said "nope!"  a mile down the road my wife looks at me and says "what?HuhHuh? you have a case that was for archery bows! what if they wanted to search the car?Huh"...."well...they would have seen the case and found it full of kites......" what else was i going to say! Wink
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:39 AM by thief » Logged

KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 04:02 PM »

Yep, me too! I've traveled to festivals in 14 different countries and have only ever used soft bags. Never had a breakage, never had a bag damaged. I did use ski/snowboard bags for a while (they're padded), but nowadays I just use unlined cordura bags (they're lighter).

But I have heard horror stories about baggage and air travel in the USA, and pretty much every US kite flyer with framed kites turns up to international events with a hard case - golf, archery, rifle, etc.  Must be a reason  Angry

It seems to be similar with postage too.  I buy and sell overseas items regularly.  The only time I get damaged parcels is when they are delivered USPS - I think they use garbage compactors to fit more mail into their containers  Sad

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
photogbill

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 06:10 PM »

Thanks for the extra input & info ezme6, thief, and KaoS. I have an R-Sky padded kite bag that would hold 10 or more kites and accessories but I think I'd worry too much about breakage if I used it ...and I haven't measured it but it appears to be way over the size restrictions I have read for check-in without getting charged extra for over-size baggage. I've also heard ...years ago that Airlines baggage claim agents are skittish about checking bags with kites in them. I'm sure it's totally due to a lake of knowledge about our sport & our kites. That's another reason I chose to go with a hard case. It'll be hard for them to argue that my kites aren't adequately protected with them being in the case I bought!
Is the HQ padded bag as large as the R-Sky ones? MY R-Sky bag will hold all my kites with the LEs assembled, even my 8+ footer duel liners.
Based on Kevin's comments ...it looks like I'm not alone in going the hard case route for US domestic travel. I remember years ago seeing a cool hard case with wheels that Ron G. used for travel with his competition kites but I didn't run across anything that looked like it with my internet search. Seems to me it was a snow-board case but I'm not sure about that.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 03:57 AM »

sportubes ( https://www.sportube.com/default.asp?m=0) became popular with competitors to carry their kites in... This is probably what ron has.... I know that they became the thing to 'have to have'....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change