GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gliders  (Read 2622 times)
True Rookie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: January 11, 2014, 08:41 PM »

So with this weather were having it has made me start looking for a glider kite. I have checked out a few videos and love how relaxing it is to watch them fly.

I really like how slow the Feather Glider fly's but there is no color on the sail. I was wondering if you could use different colored highlighters to put some color on it or would that damage the sail?

I seen a video posted somewhere of a guy that was flying a glider inside and someone commented that the kite made it to the third level. If you know of a video like this could you please direct me towards it.

What are some of your favorite gliders and why?

Thank you

The wind is blowing, hope I learn something today. If not it was still fun
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:57 PM »

Prism Zero g and will's sturdys chiropetra (which is probably spelled wrong). They both float and glide in zero or no wind but both will fly in just a slight wind.  Both take a different light touch then say a dual line

Sine Metu!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:01 PM »

I would have to say the  ITW Skate, zeroG and horvath hybrid are my top 3.  Wala XL and ITW Hydra if you want to go big.  Indoor only I would go for the I elite or skate.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06 PM »

If you know of a video like this could you please direct me towards it.

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/rxburner/media/2passWindless_Movie1_Full.mp4.html#/user/rxburner/media/2passWindless_Movie1_Full.mp4.html?&_suid=138951041290609628514164063898

Enjoy!
@
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:08 PM by cerfvoliste » Logged

Danceswithwinds
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:26 AM »

Have to be  either an  Emong indoor and out, in light breeze, or one of Karl Longbottoms creations ,A Petrodactyl, again indoor / out  almost damage proof( I have seen one flown straight onto the floor at speed,nil damage) or his new 7-81.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHipWymQCSE
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 03:44 PM »

hi truerookie
Feathers do come in colored version..... Clear skin is very lightly painted in reds or blues (fire or ice).... And both sides of the feather come in this option....(BTW fire and ices in both sizes arriving in the states soon)

You have a few choices..... They range from cheap (making your own Borelli glider) up to the zen gliders that range a couple of hundred bucks for less than an ounce..... And of course bigger kites like a Morpho Grande in painted cuben fiber for 5000$.....

The are lots of flat kites delta shaped like the iFlite, the chiroptera, horvath's kites.... and three  dimensional kites like the plutz gliders from Ceewan's and Karl Longbottom's pterodactyls...
So you have lots of options...
Some kites glide better... and some climb better and are more active flyers..... Your preference is important....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:31 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 04:15 PM »

I really like my iFlites (I&II) indoors. Very easy to fly indoors. The small ones are good for tight spaces. The larger one needs more room to turn, but glides forever. Both a very good value.

Allen, AKA kitehead
True Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:25 PM »

It wont let me post

True Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27 PM »

well it did that time not sure why

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:59 AM »

It wont let me post

did you provide your daily sacrifice of burning a chinese copy of a revolution?   that might have caused the hiccup Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:32 PM »

Horvath videos.  Too bad there's such lousy scenery Smiley
http://www.horvath.ch/en/movies-kites.html

True Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54 PM »

That's funny Thief.  i see it let me post today

Thank you all for the links to the videos. Thief do you know who will sell the colored Feathers? You can PM me the info.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Skate or a Horvath plus a i-flight or a feather. I'm guessing  I should have at least two indoor gliders....Right....LOL

What I am looking for is a long gliding kite that has the potential to slowly climb higher and higher then watch it as it gracefully floats towards the ground.

Once again I thank you for the help,
                                                   Mike
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:59 PM by True Rookie » Logged

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49 PM »

Having flown all the kites mentioned this thread, save the longbottom, morpho, and feather, my two cents would be thus;

Without spending an arm and a leg, the chiroptera for flight characteristics can't be beat. Best in 0-2mph, 3 and up it buffets and doesn't climb well. Launching and relaunching takes a bit of practice given the shape. Under 3, in the right conditions, and weighted correctly (mine has 30 cents in the nose), you could glide 150' from one side of the window to the other no problem on a 75' line. Is quite amazing. Glide ratio better than any I've seen.

If you have extra arms and legs, the long way home by horvath.ch is equal to the chiroptera in impressiveness, but with different characteristics. Is much larger, much more expensive, can rotate more quickly, can handle more wind, can be flown as a single liner when no others will stay airborn, looks incredible in the sky, can realistically tow more line for higher flights, but trades a bit of glide ratio (a miniscule amount, but just enough to notice). Unparalleled construction quality.

In my opinion, there's a substantial performance gap between these kites and the rest.

Iflight is great for places you can't normally fly a kite. Well worth having.

If you could find one, a focus manta is a great huge kite but likes to fly in straight lines, takes much more line feeding, and drops more quickly, but is a sight to behold as it slowly glides by. With altitude, capable of huge glides. As far as i know, the ITW version doesn't have the brass weight the focus version comes with, but nor do i know it's as critical as on the focus version either.

Fdeli
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18 AM »

a quick note on flying gliders:

good gliders can be manhandled all day long, and in some designs, require it. you fly it the whole time. if you're not manipulating the line (even if it's just tension), it's stops flying.

great gliders, are easy to overpower with your inputs and make them feel no better than a good glider. great gliders however, will reward the pilot substantially once you've established a feel for the kite and its body language. it's a subtle conversation where (figuratively speaking) a wink or a slight nod is enough to convey intent. the kites will react to incredibly minute inputs. it's much more of a two-way experience, where the kite tells you quietly but precisely what it feels from the wind, and you provide it with a suggestion of motion, rather than a mandate. it's a cooperative experience, and a very rewarding one as you can feel as if you're talking to the wind directly, with the kite as an interpreter. touch the line like you would touch a woman after midnight, and it will open up to you similarly.

Fdeli
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53 AM »

Such the poet.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document