GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 06:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite installation "LongWayHome"  (Read 467 times)
Kabel
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 14, 2014, 04:19 AM »

Hi,

I would like to present you our new installation featuring a horvath "I'll be back" kite.

Long Way Home is a kinetic narration and spatial experience, in which a kite moving along in a circular path is used in a projected environment. The loop structure of the story, the kite in its clockwise movement, and the repetition of events all emphasize the circular structure of time.

The hand-drawn animation shows an old man walking with a kite. After losing hold of the kite line he makes several attempts to reach it before he finally manages to hang on to the kite. It pulls him up into the sky, while an animated city appears below him. Night falls, and the city’s windows and billboards light up until the city vanishes under a mist of smoke. The old man slowly descends, touching down safely – and holding on to the line of the kite, starting again from the beginning in a never-ending cycle. Sounds are used to illustrate the surroundings and create an atmosphere that underscores the storyline. This installation was realized in collaboration with Katharina Klemm.

Video:

https://vimeo.com/84043250

Hope you like it!

Kind regards,
Gerald
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32 AM »

BEAUTIFUL!  Shocked

Thanks so much for having shared this.  Smiley
I am a researcher working in university on interaction. I have been dealing with creative aspects of interaction for many years (apart from other topics related to interaction). I am well acquainted with installations, both audiovisual and interactive.
I have been thinking of merging my work with my hobby and try to make an interactive installation with kites for a while now.
Your's is not interactive but it is a beautiful approach to using a kite in an audiovisual installation.  Huh
It has inspired me very much!!!  Smiley

Now I'm sure I will do some sort of interactive installation with kites. Also since my research is in full-body (or embodied) interaction and I work a lot with interaction for children.

Congratulations!

BTW Where is it installed at?

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:43 AM »

brilliant...that is awesome..

in the late 90s there was someone in the states who was making small motors that would fly an indoor kite in circle, just like this....always loved the idea....never got one.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kabel
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:12 AM »

Thanks a lot for your nice words, really appreciate it.  Smiley

The installation was shown two times here in Cologne. The documentation has been finished these days, so we will
see, hopefully it will be shown in 2014 again.

Thanks again!

Gerald
stapp59
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:42 AM »

Quite creative.  Thanks for sharing  Smiley

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:09 AM »

Having dried my moistened eyes, let me simply say I was touched.

Thank you.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:20 PM »

Great job!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document