GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 03:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LE of Soul is wearing out...  (Read 427 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 05, 2014, 09:37 AM »

Hi,

The absolute edge of the LE of my Soul is looking very worn out and seems like it could rip open soon.
It has also ripped (perpendicularly) at the yoyo stoppers and the APA connectors which I fixed with adhesive (thin) dacron and which has already also ripped.
The nose is not too bad but it is also looking a bit work at some places.
The rest of the sail seems to be in good shape.

So I don't know what to do.
I don't feel capable of changing the nose and LE myself.  Sad
I'm worried I could wreck the whole thing...

Also I have given the poor kite a tough time over the past two years of learning. So I don't know whether I should just move on...

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:51 AM »

You can use Dacron Insignia Tape for repairs.
It is used by sailmakers to make the numbers & letters on sails for boats.
It sticks on like tape and will repair the rips.
I've used it on my Soul where the LE was starting to rip.
Using Dacron Sail Repair Tape or Insignia Adhesive Material for Sail Repair

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26 AM »

On the nose if the webbing is not worn through you can use "plastidip" or liquid electrical tape to coat and protect it from further wear.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25 AM »

You can use Dacron Insignia Tape for repairs.
It is used by sailmakers to make the numbers & letters on sails for boats.
It sticks on like tape and will repair the rips.
I've used it on my Soul where the LE was starting to rip.

Thanks SKB.
So if I understand well, I would put the insignia tape all along the full length of the LE covering it completely, right?
I guess I should take off the frame first, then stick the insignia tape, then cut again the holes for the APA connectors and yoyo stoppers, and finally reframe.
Is that correct?

One more thing, ANYONE knows where I can get the Dacron Insignia Tape in Europe?

The only kite store I had here in Barcelona did not have it and in any case they had to close down business...

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:27 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:26 AM »

On the nose if the webbing is not worn through you can use "plastidip" or liquid electrical tape to coat and protect it from further wear.

Great Ca Ike.
I will look for either of the two things because the nose webbing is indeed still quite good. Only has some scratches.

Cheers!

In my bag...
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:38 AM »

do you have pictures?

i have lots of adhesive dacron, quite heavy, but very sticky (can send some to you)

or take the frame out, send it to someone and recieve it back in a month with new leading edges and nose, costs only a few for the postage (sail fits in a big envelope) and some dacron

Krijn
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:03 PM »

The lower leading edge cutouts on the Soul are particularly susceptible to tearing.  The leading edge fittings sit very close to the upper end of the cutout and put too much strain on the leading edge material.  I have replaced the leading edges on two Souls, and have slightly relocated the upper end of the cutout.  Neither owner has had a repeat of the tearing issue.  Smiley

Unfortunately, the repair involves replacing the nose too, so it isn't a simple or quick repair for many flyers.

If you REALLY want the kite to look new, I'm sure there are kite builders on the forum who would be willing to do the job (me included, but you'd have to ship the sail here to Australia).

I'd be more inclined to keep flying the kite as your "basher".  In other words, it's the kite you thrash until it is absolutely dead.... the kite you can take out in any conditions, and don't really mind if it gets bashed, cut, bruised, borrowed, whatever.  It can be the kite you can try all those tricks you can't do now, and it doesn't matter if you break a spar, poke a hole in it, get it filthy... whatever happens, you just patch it up and fly it until it dies.

My first Benson "Box of Tricks" was one of those.  It took a bullet (or ten) for every other kite in my bag  Grin

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document