GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: b'zar framing  (Read 309 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: January 15, 2014, 03:49 PM »

Ok for those of you building a bzar 2011 I have a few tips on getting the framing set right. If you follow the plans exactly this will work. If you use Sugarbakers thread as a guide and copy how he did his nose you will have to make adjustments.

First I will try to explain how Werner did his measuring. With the sail flat he extended the centerline of the spine and the leading edges to create a point which is actually above the nose by 1 cm. this is where he measured from and what can add confusion when framing the kite. Seen in this pic on his page.

Now if you are flying the kite you will know right away if you have the framing off. The kite will backflip easily when trying to half axel, lock hard in a turtle, want to turtle while doing a comete and flip to a fade when trying to taz. I've only had one other kite so finicky with frame set up.

I've taken werner's measurements and tried to make it easier to do. Once I got them right I took out the frame and measured from the nose end of the rods themselves. Since specific lengths of the ULE and LLE are not given I measure the LE assembled as a solid length to the top of the stops. Here are my measurements.

Upper LE stop----33.2 cm
Lower LE stop----95.6 cm
Center T ----53 cm to the center of the spreader

If you used Sugarbakers nose change it actually lowers the LE rods in the LE pocket from the nose position in the plans by 2 cm. So to get the same fitting positions as the plans call for subtract 2 cm from my LE measurements.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:51 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:40 PM »

That great help.

I measured mine with the endcaps on and I'm off a bit so I'll try the adjustments and see if that corrects the problem. 

I think I need to re-look at the measurements on my sixth sense as well.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49 PM »

I've built several kites from plans and they all tend to be vague when it comes to how to do the frame measurements and if not done the way the designer did it can be off as much as 1/2 inch.  If Werner had not posted up the pic of the kite with the measurements I would still be working on it.  My vortex was the only one clear as a summer day on this point as there is a big X inside a circle on the plans where the fitting is supposed to go.  As for end caps, they add 1-2 mm if they are the usual vinyl.  Thats not enough to make a noticeable difference in flight on a full sized kite.

With the framing right, the kite really shines.  Half axels and cascades are smooth, taz is really easy, comet is crisp, axels/540/backspins are nice and flat, BS cascade is amazingly easy as are multilazies(i don't do cyniques but i do a lazy cascade that pauses between reversing lazies) and with a solid deep turtle wap do waps are really forgiving.  Side slides are super stable and reversible and fades are the flip it, stake it and take a nap type even in my inland winds.  I can tell you though that the kite doesn't like to be smacked around but rather nudged into what you want.  Overall its a very well balanced forgiving kite.

I am still learning my sixth sense but can see already that the full potential of the kite is not there so I will be going over all the specs on that one too soon and will post up when I get it right.  I think a lot of it is in the framing choice since I went with the comp frame and not the pro frame.   Great kite so far though and I'm sure I have something just slightly off.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:03 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document