GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Delta Hawk stack question  (Read 734 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 17, 2014, 08:54 AM »

I've finally got around to starting a stack of HQ Delta Hawks ( 150cm ( 59") wingspan and 105cm (41") leading edge) that I first mentioned last year and I need a bit of advice about the length of the link lines between the kites.  I started at 80cm ( 31.5") but when I tried it yesterday it was hard to launch and the back kite would spin as the front kite lifted and once I did get it in the air the rear kite was rather 'wobbley' - it felt a bit too long. Checking online when I got home I see that 2/3 the leading edge is often mentioned as a good starting length - 68cm ( 27") in the case of the Hawk.  Does this sound right? I know some of you have Delta Hawk stacks and I wondered what length you use? Any advice gratefully received!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29 PM »

Hi,

68 cm or 80 cm link lines is too short IMHO.

Usually, for this kind of stack, link lines between 2 kites are 100 -> 120 % of the Leading Edge length.

I have a 3-Delta Hawk stack with 125 cm link lines and it flies perfect.

Have fun with your stack !
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:05 AM »

Michael is right.  For a lot of kites the 2/3 leading edge rule works ok but most newer high aspect ratio delta kites that is too short.  High aspect ratio kites have a longer turbulence wake behind them so it takes longer links to get them smooth especially with the straight LE's  My personal rule of thumb is to measure from the nose to the point where the LLE starts to curve and add 5 inches.  On older kites this works out to about 2/3 LE.  On newer or any straight LE kite it works out to about 120% LE.
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:46 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys!  I retied the link lines at 125cm and managed to get 30 minutes of flying yesterday afternoon and it seems much better - just a couple of minor issues that I can easily adjust. I'll be flying 2 Hawks to start with but I have enough material left to make a third later if can handle it! Wink

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01 PM »

Just remember these couple things.  Add 3 mph to the low end wind range and set your lead kite slightly nose forward.  Check and recheck your link lines after the first 4-5 flights as they will stretch and just 1/8 inch off on one line will cause wobble.  Watch the LE of the lead kite for excessive warping. If you see it really bending when crossing the window you will need to stiffen it up.  Adding a center T to the US can be enough but you may need to do that plus stronger LE rods. I've used lexan tube cut like a C clip zip tied over the LEs in-between the spreaders with good results.
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:18 PM »

The Delta Hawk is a very old design, it's been in the HQ catalogue since at least the early 90's and is a bit of an oddity.  It doesn't have an u/s, it doesn't have a centre T and the upper bridle connection ties directly to the spine.  I use it as my high wind kite and it doesn't come out of the bag until the wind is at least 15mph but it does pull like a truck!  The solo 'front' kite works best at 20mph + and I can add the other kite if the wind is a bit less than this to make things a bit more 'interesting'. It's a very strong kite, and I don't think one extra kite will cause any problems with the frame. If I decide to add a third kite to the stack I might try and 'stuff' the 6mm standard frame with some 4mm carbon to beef it up. When I get it sorted I'll try and get some film of it.

Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35 AM »

Ah yea.  Those stack well with a lot less strain on the LE and are easier to tune IMO since you can use the upper link to adjust the trailing kites.  Similar to a Bob Childs Goblin
nobbl2k

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02 AM »

Hadge, how many link lines do you use per kite and where do you connect them?
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:59 AM »

Hadge, how many link lines do you use per kite and where do you connect them?

4 link lines - at the centre 'T', just below the leading edge lower spreader fittings and top of the spine where the standard bridle comes through ( you can see the grommit hole just below the nose on the picture).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum