GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 08:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TAZ Machines.  (Read 1207 times)
Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 17, 2014, 04:39 PM »

The Taz Machine. One of the good things about flying at night is that you can see the lines better...

Taz Taz Taz Taaaaaaaaaaaaz with my ATM SUL

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:50 PM by Jorge Gouverneur » Logged
etully
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:22 PM »

Nice!  I can do the slot (occasionally), but not the taz. 
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:13 PM »

Funny Funny Video Jorge ....  Loved watching it.  My Ocius Ul loves doing Taz's... They can be a lot of fun...

But what is with the Hat Huh Your in FL.  Sunshine,Tans, Cheesy

Everything I look at is White  Huh  Huh Huh Huh Huh

Your videos are helping me get through the "No Fly" time period.  Please keep posting....  Your getting pretty good...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
damp_weather

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 01:50 AM »

The Taz Machine. One of the good things about flying at night is that you can see the lines better...
Yes, I love the way the lines stand out so that you can see when the inputs happen, how long they last for, and to a certain extent how strong the inputs are.

(I'm afraid that one doesn't often get the same information from watching a flyer's arm movements, as depending on where the kite is moving [which partly depends on the wind], the arm can be moving backwards without the line going taut, or forwards without the line going very slack.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:22 AM by damp_weather » Logged
JayDee

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:30 PM »

Kewl videos you are making there!  Smiley  I had been considering an ATM for a while.  One of your videos eventually pushed me over the edge to go for an SUL.  And then, there was one on the Swap Meet just when I had made my mind up.  Should be arriving soon.

Only, I am afraid I will not be able to make the kite look anywhere near as good as you do.  The notoriously unsteady Nova Scotia winds don't exactly help me making any progress.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:50 PM »

Funny Funny Video Jorge ....  Loved watching it.  My Ocius Ul loves doing Taz's... They can be a lot of fun...

But what is with the Hat Huh Your in FL.  Sunshine,Tans, Cheesy

Everything I look at is White  Huh  Huh Huh Huh Huh

Your videos are helping me get through the "No Fly" time period.  Please keep posting....  Your getting pretty good...

In a way you're right vertigo2u.

That night it was 45 F. For us in Miami that's freezing.

Like to hear that you are enjoying my videos. I'll keep posting new ones.

Here is the Link to my YouTube channel. I have over 50 kite related videos doing all kinds of Tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jegouv/videos

Thank You.

Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:08 PM »

Thanks damp_weather:

This is the first time I try to make a tutorial. I'll Work with the camera angles for the next one so My hand movements can be shown.

The thing about the videos is that its hard to explain how strong the pulls are.  Also a different kite might require a different timing and/or pull strength for it to perform the same trick. These videos are basically to have an idea of how a trick is done. Out in the field you have to experiment with your kite slight variations of pull strength and timings until you get the trick right.
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:09 PM »

Thanks etully.

The Next step is to do a Taz cascade.
Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:08 AM »

Hi JayDee.

The ATM is a great kite. You might feel it different at the beginning. But once you start you'll be hooked with it. Even when it's an SUL IT requires a 3 - 5 mph wind for best performance. And It can fly all the way to 12 mph winds.
JayDee

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29 PM »

Well, I am sure looking forward to when it finally arrives.  With another blizzard in the forecast, it will not be good SUL weather, though.  Shocked

You seem to use rather long lines for an SUL.  What length and weight is that?  Do you use leaders?  On my ULs, I like to use 200# flying line as a leader.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
damp_weather

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:14 PM »

This is the first time I try to make a tutorial. I'll Work with the camera angles for the next one so My hand movements can be shown.
If you are going to show hand movements in your next video as part of developing your camera and video editing/production skills, or perhaps for comparing hand movements and the line movements, then fair enough.  It can be very interesting.

But my feeling is that there are many videos out there now which show simultaneously flyer and kite, some using clever camera angles, and some using split screen between the flyer and the kite.  So there would be little extra to be gained from the trick tutorial aspect by making another one.

The thing about the videos is that its hard to explain how strong the pulls are.  Also a different kite might require a different timing and/or pull strength for it to perform the same trick. These videos are basically to have an idea of how a trick is done. Out in the field you have to experiment with your kite slight variations of pull strength and timings until you get the trick right.
Agreed about the problems in describing/explaining how strong the pulls are, both on video and in real life.

Regarding differences on the inputs between kites, and indeed between flying conditions:
During the first 3 or 4 years of trying to learn tricks I tried to create equal conditions as much as I could.   For example, to get as close as I could to the conditions in Tim Benson's "Trick or Treat" DVD, we got the same Deep Space kite used in the tricks tutorial section of the DVD.  For some of the Prism Freestyle Pilot DVD: bought an E2. 

Of course the chances were that the wind was different on video than in real life, so we took the same kites out in a number of different wind conditions and each time tried the same video instructions.
And it seemed a good idea to level out the wind conditions by flying in real life next to a good flyer.  So on a number of occasions at festivals and fly meets, when we'd a see good flyer tricking with a kite that we had in our bag, we'd get out the same kite, fly near him, and try to copy his moves.

We did learn some things from these experiences, but rarely (without actual coaching) how to do a trick.   And when I finally did start to master a trick, on looking back at the video I learnt that what I thought I should be doing to "copy" the video or live flyer wasn't actually how the trick was done.  - The timing of the arm movements on the video, and sometimes also the spoken/written description, had misled me. 

Perhaps kite tricks are called tricks because they are like magic tricks.  With a good magician you can see the same magic trick performed over and over again, watching his hands very carefully, and still not understand how the trick was done.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:21 PM by damp_weather » Logged
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 03:14 PM »

But my feeling is that there are many videos out there now which show simultaneously flyer and kite, some using clever camera angles, and some using split screen between the flyer and the kite.  So there would be little extra to be gained from the trick tutorial aspect by making another one.

I disagree completely. The more videos I watched, the better I got at learning tricks. Each person has his/her own style to tricking. I believe I gained the most by having the opportunity to view as many videos as possible. It helped me learn the variances in strength for the pulls and/or pops used for tricks depending on wind conditions and kite.

Jorge, thanks for the videos and keep them coming. I know many people that will find them useful. I would love to post some of my own, but I have a baby on the way and am too busy with helping my wife nest. 

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
JayDee

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:37 PM »

We did learn some things from these experiences, but rarely (without actual coaching) how to do a trick.

You are bringing up a general issue here:  Like with probably most things in life, a good coach, or at least someone you can watch and ask, is by far the best way to learn trick flying.  The first couple of years I flew stunt kites, I lived in Silicon Valley and worked a five-minute drive from Shoreline Park.  So I was out there a lot.

Most of what I picked up early on, I learned from Cecil.  He let me fly any one of his kites, taught me this and that and that, and kept critiquing.  There was always somebody I could pick up something from, and if none of the better fliers than me was there, I learned from exchange with folks at the same level, or from teaching newbies.

From the time I moved away from Silicon Valley, I have virtually always been the best flier wherever I unpacked a kite.  Because I have virtually always been the only one.  Consequently, I have made _very little_ progress over the past three years, if any.  Sometimes I feel I am even going backwards.  The crappy winds where I live now sure don't help.  Embarrassed

But the most important message is this: Those of you who have a good coach around, make the best of it while you can.  The amazing progress some of the folks here on the forum have made over the past year or two (think Vertigo and possibly Ara) is hard to achieve when you are hundreds of miles from the next flier.  Cry

While that is so, I will keep watching videos and try to learn from them what I can.  Even if it takes longer than having a good coach.  So keep them coming!

Jorge Gouverneur

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48 PM »

Well, I am sure looking forward to when it finally arrives.  With another blizzard in the forecast, it will not be good SUL weather, though.  Shocked

You seem to use rather long lines for an SUL.  What length and weight is that?  Do you use leaders?  On my ULs, I like to use 200# flying line as a leader.

Hi JayDee: Lam recommends 100-120 feet lines 90#. I've been flying it with 80 feet of 90#. lines. You can feel the solid pull with this kite. It even pulls harder than my other kites (in same wind conditions). You will feel it with more mass than other SULs and this makes this kite very agile for slack line tricks. Smiley
JayDee

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 05:23 PM »

Thanks, Jorge.  I'll try that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum