GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Launch is for dummies  (Read 1357 times)
etully
Trade Count: (+13)

« on: January 20, 2014, 11:02 AM »

After approximately 56 attempts to dead lauch a kite, I can provide you the following metrics:

4 broken center T's
1 broken lower spreader (female portion)
1 almost broken leg after stepping into a groundhog hole
At least $20 in parts and $45 in shipping (and 3 cool complimentary Prism pins  Smiley)
and
1 or 2 successful dead lauches (which in turns fuels the compulsion)

Live and learn....

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:25 AM »

You know the dead launch is one of the tricks some speed kites really shine at, in fact it is the only launch method to get them into the air reliable.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:30 AM »

Learning is tough on a kite at times!  Smiley

I've given up on this one unless up at the beach with good ground wind which really helps to pick the kite up.

If you use an older kite - like a curved LE Prism, then this is much easier as it 'bounces' much better than most straight LE kites.

If you have sand, there is an easier more reliable way to get the kite back in the air from the nose-forward position, but I can't recall what its called.  You dig on LE in the sand and then lift the other until the kite just flys off.  I've seen a video of this - I'll see if I can find it.  Its good, but as I said, you need snow or sand.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:36 AM »

'90s kites with curvy leading edges often dead launch fairly easily on the right surface. It was a selling feature for Prism for years. Even so, if the grass is just a tad too deep or the sand a bit to soft or the pilot a bit to excited, SNAP!    Embarrassed

Once straighter leading edges became the norm, dead launches became even more deadly.

I recently had a '98 Illusion out for the first time in a decade and was on nice short, clean, grass and found myself facing the "walk of shame" so I thought I'd try a dead launch just for old time sake. After a few attempts I remembered that Illy spreaders are getting hard to find and  took the "walk of better judgement".

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37 AM »

After approximately 56 attempts to dead lauch a kite, I can provide you the following metrics:

4 broken center T's
1 broken lower spreader (female portion)
1 almost broken leg after stepping into a groundhog hole
At least $20 in parts and $45 in shipping (and 3 cool complimentary Prism pins  Smiley)
and
1 or 2 successful dead lauches (which in turns fuels the compulsion)
Live and learn....
somehow you did not tear up the fabric? that is the other common injury too!

really depends on which kite you are trying to do it on......most kites cannot think of it.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
etully

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45 AM »

The "walk of better judgement"
 Cheesy Love this!
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46 PM »

The dead launch has been _the only way_ I ever managed breaking an upper spreader.  My tally includes two of those.  Next to a few broken or badly scratched lower spreaders, of course.  No fabric damage either, nor a busted center T.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
JayDee

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:54 PM »

If you have sand, there is an easier more reliable way to get the kite back in the air from the nose-forward position, but I can't recall what its called.  You dig on LE in the sand and then lift the other until the kite just flys off.  I've seen a video of this - I'll see if I can find it.  Its good, but as I said, you need snow or sand.

Shown nicely here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=650D2YrJyIc

If you try this and end up dragging the kite, the surface is usually smooth enough for a dead launch.  But if there is anything at all to snag any part of the kite, you are setting yourself up for damage.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Allen Carter

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00 PM »

Snapping pictures of a Proph for sale today I noticed this bit of what must be dead launch damage.

How else would you wear off the logo? Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16 PM »

How else would you wear off the logo?  Grin
obviously from putting it in the bag the wrong way!  Tongue

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:52 AM »

That wasn't me. Wink
Allen Carter

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 10:53 AM »

Abusers always say that...

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56 AM »

It's called a dead launch because you are slightly killing your kite each time.  Cry

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
doddg

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:40 AM »

The trick if you don't know it by now, is two short tugs, first basically bounces the kite and lifts the nose, second gets the air under the nose and into the sail. With most kites, thick sand and tall grass and low winds, forget about it...so I usually (now lol ) just try twice and if it doesn't work, I save myself anger, frustration, and wear and tear on the kite and take a nice little decompression walk up to the kite... Smiley I have some examples of dead launches in my videos, somewhere.
etully

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 08:01 AM »

There is the key...first tug "bounces the kite" up.  That tug or pop has to be sharp, and it is enough to break a kite if conditions are not ideal.  I'm done with the DL, unless Of course the kite is irritating. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document