GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vent my Rev!  (Read 373 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: February 01, 2014, 09:37 AM »

I picked up this Rev in a 'new' (at the time) B-Series Rev trial color scheme a couple years ago while down at TISKC from Ben. I had a full vented Rev in Black & Gold at the time so I was covered for just about any wind condition to fly a Rev in.

Last year while at TISKC again, I fell in love with the Eliot Shook Masterpiece Revs after flying a couple that were owned by other Rev fliers and thought I would like to have one. My plan was to sell BOTH of my Revs to offset the cost of a Shook Masterpiece that I could fly in most wind conditions. On the spare of the moment I offered my Vented Rev first to another flyer at the event ...and did the deal quickly! Too quickly ...as it turned out!  Sad

As time went by and I began building several more duel line stunters, I reinvigorated my interest in predominantly flying duel liners! Although I'll always have a place in my heart for "the dark side" ...especially when winds get up there in the 18+ mph wind range. I started questioning my decision to purchase a expensive Masterpiece Series Rev since I don't often fly a Rev and I regretted selling the full vent I had owned (it really flew well). I decided that I would just go ahead and buy another full vented Rev to replace the one I sold ...and eventually sell the above standard Rev to help offset the cost of the new Vented Rev.

On discussion my plans with a flying buddy, he made the brilliant suggestion that I should convert my full sail standard Rev into a Vented Rev. Knowing that I had numerous kite builds under my belt, he suggested I shouldn't have any trouble doing a conversion. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that option myself ....duh ....but I guess that is what friends are for!  Cheesy

Anyway, soon after I returned home from TISKC this year, I went right to work on the new project! I liked the color scheme of my full sail Rev so I knew I'd like the finished conversion results. I took the frame out of my Rev; clipped the sail taught onto a work table; made a 'panel template' for each of the two different sized vents; & carefully cut the ripstop panels out of the sail ...leaving 1 1/2 " trailing edge in tact like the original Vented Rev is made.
I already had some screen that I had bought awhile back for a potential venting of another kite. All I needed to do now was to cut the screen panels out with a 1/4" overlap to the back of the sail. I left an extra 1/4" at the top edge so I could fold the screen over (doubling it up) before sewing. I used seam tape as always to attach the new screen panels before sewing. The finished results were even better looking than I expected. Since I chose to leave the original overlapped seam on the sail when I did my cut-outs, adding the screen to the back of the kite made the connecting seams appear a little darker than nomad ...which I actually liked. It gives the kite an almost pin-stripped look along the edges of the screen panels.

It was a relatively easy project which took a little longer than I had expected (approx. 3 hours) due to my taking extra care ...meticulously completing the project! I didn't want to screw up a perfectly good ...practically new kite! Project completed! I now have my 'new' vented Rev and glad I took the advise of a friend! The screen I used had a slightly tighter weave than on an original Vented Rev but I figure that will only help my vented Rev fly in a lighter wind if I want to ...and not hinder the upper end of the wind range that much!

Here's a couple indoor pics until spring rolls around and I'm able to take a nice photo outdoors of the finished work!

stapp59

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:38 PM »

Looks good.  I wonder how many people make covers for their Rev vents?  That way you could have a heavy std, half vent, or full vent. 

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:55 PM »

Looks good.  I wonder how many people make covers for their Rev vents?  That way you could have a heavy std, half vent, or full vent. 
raises hand

I made Velcro covers for my Full Vent Rev before there was a Mid Vent available from Rev.
It adds some weight, but that's not really much of an issue if you're flying vented kites.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
stapp59

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:14 PM »

Excellent!  I did something similar a few years ago.  Just used a solid color though and did not match the sail pattern as you did.  Good show!

raises hand
I made Velcro covers for my Full Vent Rev before there was a Mid Vent available from Rev.
It adds some weight, but that's not really much of an issue if you're flying vented kites.

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02 PM »

Nice,

And nice.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document