GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new and want to buy!  (Read 2389 times)
theishkid
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 26, 2014, 09:58 AM »

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on the board for the past few weeks and finally decided to post...

I used to fly with dinky duel line Walmart kites about ten years ago and had a blast. I remembered how fun that was and decided to do it again with something nicer. I settled on a Prism 1.9 foil and absolutely love it. I've only had that about two or three weeks, but now I want to get into an actual stunt kite. Would it be foolish of me to buy something high end to learn on? Or should I stick with something cheaper?

After reading all the boards I think I want to get a Widow Maker. Obviously it needs to be pretty durable as I'm sure I'll dart it into the ground a few times while I'm learning. Obviously starting out I'll be doing figure 8's and quick turns... hoping to move into some actual tricks as I feel better with the kite. Is the Widow Maker something that can grow with me or is it better for higher end stuff only?

If going the high end route is a dumb decision then I want to go with something much cheaper like a Prism Quantum so that I can build up my skills without wasting money so that soon I can get something higher end like a Widow Maker.

Also, I'm in Oklahoma City. It seems our winds are either nothing, or ridiculously high. Would you recommend a standard or an UL kite if you were going with something like the Widow Maker?

Thanks for all your help and input.
Brad
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:04 AM by theishkid » Logged

Prism Snapshot 1.9
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18 AM »

i live in utah and fly my widow maker ul, 90% of the time. eventually you will have both an ul and reg. watch swap meet you can get great kites at good prices
love the widow maker, great kite worth every penny, if you go cheaper try and find a Sky Burner Freestylist i think u can get a ul version it flys alot like the widow
http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SBFREE

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:33 AM by PUZZLE » Logged

bill lancashire

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:25 AM »

What are those creases in the fabric below the centre-T in that photograph.  It doesn't look right to me.
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31 AM »

another pic of the widowmaker ul, dont see creases in this picture, other picture was when it was new  friends daughter holding kite

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09 PM »

The center-T area is the point concentration of all stress pulls. If the velcro flap on

the keel is not tensioned correctly, there will be some wrinkles. However, some people

experiment with that keel flap tension and find they like the flight characteristics better

when the center has some creases.

Of all the kites in our Friday night fly group, the Widow Maker UL is the most owned.

And, for an extra $40 you can have custom colors like Mark's shown below:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
theishkid

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 02:27 PM »

One of the appeals of the widow maker was the custom colors. I really wanted a yellow/black custom one. I don't know why but I thought the custom colors wasn't any extra. I don't mind paying more for it but now just to start out I'm looking at closer to $400 with line and all.

Maybe for my first kite I should look more at the Premier Widow NG since I can have everything for $165.
Is there going to be that much of a difference in a Widow Maker?

Prism Snapshot 1.9
Winged V

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Huge diff between the 2
Widow flys ok
Widow Maker flys  Excellent

theishkid

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01 PM »

But is the Widow Maker too much for a first kite? Will it be forgiving to my lack of skills and crashes? I don't mind paying for a top of the line kite since I'll have it forever. I just don't want it to fall apart in the hands if a beginner that I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prism Snapshot 1.9
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02 PM »

If you are truly serious about kiting, get the better kite.  You'll end up with it anyway so save yourself some time and ultimately $$. You'll also want the Std and UL for various wind conditions.  Something like the WM mentioned would be a good choice and a kite to keep.  You can branch out from there as you learn more.

The only reason to have a "cheap" kite is to get past bashing it in the ground and to help others do the same.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:04 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:18 PM »

And now for something completely different.... my 2 cents.

There is no doubt, the Widow Maker is a great kite. However, I don't know if I'd recommend it as a first stunt kite. As you mentioned, you will probably Jart it into the ground. While the WM is durable, I think you are likely to break a spar pretty quick. In all, this is not that big of a deal. However, I'd steer you toward something not so high end. Here is the mistake that a _LOT_ of people make... mostly beginners. They see all the great flying and fancy tricks that people do with higher end kites. News flash... it's 20% the kite and 80% the flier. Lower end advanced kites can do 90% of those tricks just fine. In the hands of someone starting out I don't think you are going to notice the difference between a $300 kite and a $150 kite. Why not spend $120 and, as mentioned, put some money away to get a second kite as you will probably want a standard and UL kite.

So here is an additional question.... what is a good advanced kite for a beginner in the $150 price range?

Personally, I'd _highly_ recommend watching for a good used kite. It seems "some" of the flyers here love to have the latest and greatest and let go of some great kites at a much lower price. Smiley

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 05:22 PM »

Since you all ready know how to fly, go for the better kite. The Widow Maker is a tough kite, and super-forgiving of less than perfect inputs. If you buy the cheaper kite, it will just gather dust after a few weeks... once the custom WM arrives at your doorstep !

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 05:51 PM »

I've got to disagree a little bit. Being closet to a new flier I would go with  a good entry level kite rather than go right to a high end kite. I have the old design Premier widow and  I really like it.  I have been learning plenty of tricks on it and I'm no where near as good as guys on this forum.

I have heard really good things about members for the freestylist, but haven't flown it myself. I'm very wary to encourage someone to drop $400 on a new custom kite. There are plenty of good kites out there that would be great to learn on,  keep flying and retain value to sell later or keep to loan to new flyers.

I have been fortunate enough to get lots of tips and advice from the members of this forum, but at the risk of getting flamed I will say that after reading so many threads, it can be intimidating to new fliers and is generally geared to the longer, more advanced fliers. It's just the feel I get. Kiting is a niche hobby and I cringe when we encourage someone to drop a few hundred as a suggested entry. Many experienced fliers have also said they have kept or continue to fly some quality entry level kites. I just don't think encouraging someone to get the highest end kite serves the community well long term.

Tcope said above that it is abut 20% kite and 80% flier that gets the results. I agree with the for the most part. I am reminded of new golfers that feel they have to go out an get the latest and most expensive clubs available. That is completely the wrong thing to do. I got my ass beat plenty of time by guys using 20 yr old Ben Hogan or Northwestern clubs. It's the technique more than the equipment for beginners.
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 06:23 PM »

+1 on a good entry level kite. There is a lot to be said for keeping your eye out for a nice used kite here on the forum. Developing your skills and finding your "style" of flying will give you more of a sense of what's 'right' for you. You may be a trickster or may find you just like carving up the sky. Find something you enjoy looking at in the sky and fly it.
Bop 'till ya drop  Wink

Anthony
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 07:38 PM »

But is the Widow Maker too much for a first kite? Will it be forgiving to my lack of skills and crashes? I don't mind paying for a top of the line kite since I'll have it forever. I just don't want it to fall apart in the hands if a beginner that I am.

The answer to this is simple.  If you are still nose-plowing the kite every outing, then don't go top shelf yet, its too soon.

However, it you are slamming the kite into the ground only rarely or when you are 'pushing it' (i.e. its avoidable), then go for it.

If you can't maintain control of the kite, then stick with something thats more of a 'learner' until you know you are ready to advance.  I always recommend the silver fox series which are pretty cheap relatively in the 120-150 range. 

Once you get bored on that and want something a bit more reactive and agile, then go for the Widowmaker, ATM, SuperFly, etc,....

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
theishkid

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26 PM »

Thanks for all the input everyone! I still have a lot to decide I guess. I thought my biggest decision was if I should get a standard or ul... but now I'm still trying to figure out if I start out with a middle of the road kite or go ahead and get the big one.

I just have a hard time buying a 200 dollar kite when I could save for another week and get the better kite. Are there any really great sub $100 dollar learners out there? Something really good for just practicing the basics so that I'm not spending so much on that beginner kite and can save more for the better kite if I decide to go that route?

As far as control goes... I'm on a Prism foil so I don't have too many problems with it plowing into the ground. It's been forever since I had an actual kite. I'm pretty good with the foil but I don't know how well those skills transfer over to a standard kite.

Prism Snapshot 1.9
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document