GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 09:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new and want to buy!  (Read 2797 times)
theishkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39 PM »

Well I finally got to take the Premier Widow out late this evening for about 15 minutes.
I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out the larks head knot haha... but after that I got her in the air.
It was very sensitive to movements. What would have been a simple turn with my foil was 3 spins with the Widow, then when I tried to ease it up it would end up stalling. About the time I got the hang of it the wind literally went from 10 mph to 4 and it wasn't enough to keep it up.
I need to adjust the lines since one of them is about 4 inches longer than the other one. Other than that I really like it!

One question though...
This thing can get loud up in the air, it sounds like a weedeater... is that normal?

Prism Snapshot 1.9
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 09:58 PM »

Most likely that is the trailing edge fluttering. I don't know the kite but it may have a leach line that can be adjusted. Its a thin line running through the trailing edge of the kite... from the bottom of the spine to the wing tips. The adjustment of the line is done at the wing tips. If the kite has one, you can tighten it to avoid some of this flutter.

Some people (not many) like the flutter, especially in upper winds, as it does slow the kite down a little. Me... I _hate_ that sound.

You _really_ (read, REALLY) need to get out and fly with someone that can help show you how to tune the kite and fly a little. This will give you a _huge_ jump forward on flying.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 10:42 PM »

Well I finally got to take the Premier Widow out late this evening for about 15 minutes.
I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out the larks head knot haha... but after that I got her in the air.
It was very sensitive to movements. What would have been a simple turn with my foil was 3 spins with the Widow, then when I tried to ease it up it would end up stalling. About the time I got the hang of it the wind literally went from 10 mph to 4 and it wasn't enough to keep it up.
I need to adjust the lines since one of them is about 4 inches longer than the other one. Other than that I really like it!

One question though...
This thing can get loud up in the air, it sounds like a weedeater... is that normal?

Jon Trenephol designed the widow specifically without a leech line.  Makes speed control for the beginner easier by naturally slowing the kite.  It should start buzzing in about 8 mph and get louder as the wind goes up but the speed of the kite should stay manageable.  Have fun with it its a great kite and gets used as much as my high end kites do Smiley
Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43 PM »

Hope you're having fun with your kite. I got one just like yours same color about a month ago. Its a great kite and is very forgiving when doing tricks. specially when your learning. Its framed with Skyshark P300 spars. Here is a video I did the same day I got the kite.

Premier Widow NG 2014

With some practice you can start doing tricks with it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:52 PM by Jorge Gouverneur » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum