GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uploading photos to Facebook from a Mac  (Read 1593 times)
Jannie
Trade Count: (0)
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:13 PM »

Well this really stretches the any subject section of discussion but I'm feeling challenged. Yesterday we had a system softwear update from Apple and when I try to upload photos to Facebook I get a message that "An Applet from upload.facebook.com is requesting unrestricted access to your computer" Gaaaaack- some people are saying it's no big deal, how can it be no big deal, there doesn't seem to be a way to circumvent it other than one person is using iPhoto 09 which has a button to go direct to Facebook and skips this little problem or else they just aren't telling him and the answer to that he doesn't know. From Photobucket I checked and I can only transfer whole albums - Gaaaaack, and more gaack!!!

Lots of smart computer kinds of minds in the kiting community, this is the first place I thought to ask. I seriously should not let them have unrestricted access to my computer, there must be other options, aren't there?
dyfrgi

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:35 PM »

I use a Firefox add-on called the Firefox Universal Uploader, or fireuploader. It lets you easily upload photos, and other files, to all kinds of sites, including Facebook. No applet required.

I haven't tested it on Mac, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work there too. You can get it here: http://www.fireuploader.com/. Of course, you'll still have to trust fireuploader itself! You can also get it from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4724 which you may think is a more trustworthy place to get it.
EnergonCube

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:17 PM »

Jannie,

Basically, Facebook is asking for access to the system file structure. By default, the Mac won't allow just any 'ol program to look at your computer. The browser is telling you, "hey, facebook needs to take a look at your system so you can tell it where to get the photos from. And oh, by the way, the digital certificate has been verified and deemed safe by a third party."

Facebook can only see what you let it see. In other words, it can't see inside folders that you don't go into. And once you're done, the connection and info is dumped.

You're right for asking, but there's no need to worry about this one.
dyfrgi

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:01 PM »

The browser is telling you, "hey, facebook needs to take a look at your system so you can tell it where to get the photos from. And oh, by the way, the digital certificate has been verified and deemed safe by a third party."

All the certificate tells you is that it's really from Facebook, not that the software is safe. You have to trust Facebook to be sure of that.

That said, I agree that there's nothing to worry about with the Facebook app. I'm sure all it does is upload photos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change