GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Sun Protection Survey  (Read 2623 times)
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 07:01 AM »

Hat:  Barma Suede Cooler 1064HI

Rugged and holds it's shape really well in higher winds.  I picked this up in Michigan from a dealer at a festival.  Tried on many till I found one that was a perfect fit and I can say this is probably the best hat I've had for outdoors with lots of sun.

Shades:  Polarized, dark lens sunglasses with 100% UV protection.  I usually just pick up relatively cheap frames from a sporting goods store.

Shirt:  Lightweight polyester vented fishing shirt with a collar.  I don't really care for having 100 pockets on the shirt, but it is far more comfortable when you are sweating in the sun and heat of the day.  These don't seem to stick to you or feel moist later in the day after the temps start to drop as well.  (thanks to some forum members for this.  I had a thread about hot weather clothing on the ol' forum)

Sunblock:  Coppertone sports spf 30 +  I usually get a little bit of sun if I'm out all day but I only apply once in the morning before an all day outdoor event.

Shorts:  Something light in color.  I usually am fine in jean or khaki shorts.  Basketball shorts are comfortable when you are running around but don't look right with a fishing shirt. . .lol

TONS of water.  I can drink a gallon in a few hours if I'm really active.  I usually take a breather in the shade every few hours during festivals to try and cool off.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 04:28 PM »

Waited to long without sunblock

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Do what you like"
Jannie
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 03:16 PM »

I use Eucerin everyday protection on my face every day no matter what as a moisturizer SPF30 and if I even think I'm going to be out in the sun, I use SPF 50 anywhere the sun shines.
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 09:31 AM »

Hat: Tilley AirFlo

Sunglasses: Oakley Half Jacket XLJ or Oakley Thump Pro if I need music.

Sunscreen: SPF 45 on the face.  None on the arms/legs.

Light clothing and drink lots of water.

Worst Sunburn: Newly arrived in Panama.  6 hours on a white sailboat, sun reflecting from boat and water in addition to direct.  No hat or shirt or sunscreen.  I was in misery for 3-4 days (not to mention looking like a racoon for a couple weeks).  Cry  Doctor called it sun "poisoning".  Huh [/quote]

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
JeffD
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 12:56 AM »

Maybe just sales PR but I've read that very light clothes can allow to much UV through.

I have pants and shirts that have UV ratings to prevent that and also because they seem to be the best for keeping cool. You can search uv rated clothing.

If I'm out much in peak sun (not often) I have a couple of long sleeve UV rated shirts that are vented and comfortable.

Sporting goods stores are a source.

For a drink I really like "Recharge" a juice and sea salt no sugar added alternative to gatorade type stuff. Started out at health food/organic stores but now in supermarkets also. Everyone I've given some to loves it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document