GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello and Help  (Read 718 times)
ljs1977
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 28, 2014, 05:08 AM »

Hello all,

I would like to introduce myself and request some assitance in buying my next kite, I have posted this on the Fractured Axel site too so appologies if you have read this twice.

I am Lee and live in Nottinghamshire (UK), I have flown kites for many years ranging from a 10 stunt kite whilst on Holiday (where it all started), Flexi psycho, stranger, super 10's, Gemini, traction kites with buggies, depowers, Revs. i now have no kites .

I thought I wanted to start with Revs again, but as my age tumbles on (36) I am getting more interested in trick flying (stunt, sports,framed or what ever the PC name is given now).

As I am a pretty competant kite flyer generally I am thinking about getting a good kite to start with as I know I like kite flying albeit I stink at tricks!

I have read loads of posts on this site and GWTW, where everone suggests kites, but I am not sure where anyone in the UK would buy these kites from (Widow Maker, R-sky etc etc) obviously I am aware of Mr Benson.

I initally started - as all my searches for the next purchase do: quite sensibly - 100 Prism /HQ all in.

Then you get on a forum, do some research and end up wanting a full set of custom Fury's from Carl / Superflys from Tim!

However I have pulled my expenditure back in and would like a kite, lines and straps sub 200 ideally.

Bearing in mind a need a kite which will help with tricks not hinder as I said before I STINK! So perhaps something like a Superfly may be a bit too Pro for me at the moment, I would not want my new found enthusiasm to be beaten out of me by buying the wrong first kite.

So what would everyone recommend for my first proper sport kite to fly in 5-20 capable of all tricks and ideally just making shapes , I would like to buy a kite ideally which has an UL sister / brother to accompany it in the future. Also where would you / do you all buy your kites from?  I would ideally like to buy my kites from this side of the pond to avoid duty.

Lee

ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:48 AM »

ATM by Lam Hoac, price is $239 USD (i think)

"Do what you like"
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51 AM »

Don't forget that, when buying in the US from the UK, you need to add shipping and custom/import duties. Rule of thumb is that you can roughly expect to pay in what the kite costs in $$$.

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:12 AM »

There is a FW Silver Fox 2.3 on 'The other place' almost as new for 75 and they are selling Shanti Spectra lines and straps for half price - set up ready to go for 100! It really is the best deal you're going to get.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:34 AM »

If you can find an extra tenner I'd recommend a Benson Deep Space.
Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a 2nd hand Nirvana

Where in Notts are you? I'm on the Derby side, if you fancy meeting up you can give mine a try (assuming we can find a field that isn't waterlogged at the moment).

As Flying Fish said buying from US can be expensive - add about 30% but it varies, sometimes you get lucky and pay no duty, sometimes you get the full amount. The Highwaymen in Hinckley is the only shop near us but remember we don't pay import duty from the EU so buying from France. Germany etc is OK and they have far more kite shops.

etully
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37 AM »

Would you need to pay duties for purchases from Canada?
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:59 AM »

Yes. We only eacape import duty etc for EU countries

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document