GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member and Kite owner.  (Read 416 times)
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 28, 2014, 11:52 AM »

I started reading about kites a few days ago on the internet, and since then have watched a ton of videos, read forums, visited manufacturers and dealers websites, and tried to figure out what I should start with. I am a licensed private pilot, flew RC helicopters and aircraft for years, but gave all that up a decade ago when I retired. Miss flying, and looking at the videos of the stunt kites, brought back the desire to fly something. I live right next to an 80 acre park which has a very flat and level area on a rise, that is large and most of the time deserted. I found a Kite dealer right in Atlanta GA, Piedmont Kites, and went down there today and came home with an HQ Symphony 1.8.  I wanted something that I wouldn't immediately wreck, and yet would challenge me a bit, and decided that this type of kite fit what I was looking for.

Looking at the videos of the delta type stunt kites, I decide that the foil style kites were more suited to the style of  flying that I would wind up doing, just carving S turns and rolls, patterns,  etc, and not being  really interested in the trick part of flying.  The price of the HQ was much lower that the Prism 1.9 which I was also considering, so I was a bit concerned about the quality of the HQ, but the dealer said that he loves his HQ 1.8 and flies it every week at Piedmont Park in Atlanta, which is right near his shop. As soon as the snow melts, I am going to the field and see if I can get in the air....Anxious to see what it is like.    Smiley

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:55 PM »

Welcome to our world!

Real pilots make good kite pilots. A friend of mine retired after a career flying jumbo jets. I was amazed by how well he did first time on a sport kite. Steady hands, and hands kept together like they were still in the cockpit.

Resist the urge to move your hands further apart than needed for your elbows to clear your torso. Later on a LOT more motion is required to make a kite stop, start, flip, flop, etc. but for now, just pulling and pushing on the lines is the way.

Have fun and report back!!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:56 PM »

Welcome to the addiction.  Wink

Soon you will need an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all your kites.   Grin
theishkid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:10 PM »

I'm new as well. I bought the Prism 1.9 you are talking about and love it. I'm sure there's not much difference in the 1.8 you bought.
I'm a big guy and this thing can pull me around the park in strong winds. It doesn't take long to learn and even throwing it straight into the ground has not been a problem.
It's addicting though as I just ordered my second kite (first actual stunt kite) today!

Prism Snapshot 1.9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document