GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JoE Summer Flying -- and Kayaking  (Read 1213 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 02, 2014, 11:35 AM »

JoE Talon - Summer Flying

Complementing my Winter Flying video, this one combines my two favorite hobbies, kite flying and kayaking.  Most of the clips used here were taken on two overnight paddle trips to a Nova Scotian island that is only accessible by shallow boats.  The island is a nature preserve and not inhabited by humans.  Among its inhabitants, however, are what seems to be at least 15 species of horse flies.  Some of them managed to bite me through 3 mm wet suit booties.  Ouch!  Lips sealed

Other than a multitude of blood suckers, the island features a mile-long white, sandy beach and gorgeous underwater features.  For good measure, I threw in some footage from other places, including a somewhat more "crowded" beach in Northern California.

Music: "Dragon Fly" featuring Snowflake by Zep Hurme.  See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ and http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode for the Creative Commons license and disclaimer.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:26 PM by JayDee » Logged

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
hawkerhunter

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:15 AM »

really enjoyed watching your video JD. Great editing and some stunning locations.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27 AM »

nice....
i have to ask what is the purpose of carrying a poodle noodle?
Keep the hull side down!

rob
(surf kayaker, open water instructor, SUPer, learning OC paddling)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:56 PM »

Wow JayDee.
I really enjoyed the video and was totally transported.
Wished I could also enjoy both activities as you do.
I also do a little kayak but where I do it there are no large beaches.
Moreover I have no gear of my own and rent it every time just for an hour or two.
But the places are also quite beautiful:

(Note: pictures are not mine nor of me... but could be)

Your video is very well balanced between air, sand, water and underwater   Smiley

I also like a lot the effect of overlapping sequences. Very nice!  Huh

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, yes. The music is nice too   Wink

Oh yes, and great flying too!  Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
mr wojtas

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:09 PM »

AWESOME!!!!!!
JayDee

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:23 PM »

really enjoyed watching your video JD. Great editing and some stunning locations.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks!  I m pleased you liked it.  Be sure to check out my winter video, too: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10680.0.  Not quite so balanced, though -- and colder.

i have to ask what is the purpose of carrying a poodle noodle?

Yeah, I asked myself the same question after strapping it on a couple times and never actually using it.  Even though it does not look the part, the water is simply too cold.  Lips sealed  Sounds like you are a much more advanced paddler than I am.  So if you, too, say there is no point, I will happily accept the advice and leave it home.  Tongue

Jan
(Leisure paddler, dilettante kite flyer and amateurish video artist)  Wink Wink

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 03:40 PM »

Wow JayDee.
I really enjoyed the video and was totally transported.
Wished I could also enjoy both activities as you do.
I also do a little kayak but where I do it there are no large beaches.
Moreover I have no gear of my own and rent it every time just for an hour or two.
But the places are also quite beautiful:
Thanks for the great feedback, Ara!  I am pleased to hear the video ended up conveying some of what I hoped it would.

That looks like you have great paddling grounds, too.  Is that somewhere near Barcelona?

Beaches are rather boring compared to rocks -- unless you are a surf paddler like Rob, that is.  I would have issues renting a kayak at most places, since I am not only big, but also tall.  My thighs are much too long for the cockpit in your average  rental kayak, and even with my boat I have to slide in.  It is big enough to accommodate and carry me, but that comes at a cost: It handles like an aircraft carrier Wink  Still a ton of fun, though!

Your video is very well balanced between air, sand, water and underwater   Smiley

I also like a lot the effect of overlapping sequences. Very nice!  Huh

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, yes. The music is nice too   Wink

Oh yes, and great flying too!  Cheesy
Not so sure about the flying.  I have not made anywhere near as much progress as you over the past year or so...  But creative video editing can hide a lot.  Never _ever_ believe what you see in the movies Tongue

tarheel
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 05:54 PM »

I have watched many kite flying videos on this site, but this one was art.  Thank you,

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:58 PM »

very relaxing, thanks.  Smiley

Fdeli
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06 PM »

Beautifully done - loved it!  I really enjoyed seeing how you combine these 2 passions. 

6 kite tom
JayDee

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 08:51 PM »

Thanks Tom, Fidelio and Tarheel.  Glad you all like the video.  Tarheel, your comment made me blush. Grin  Only briefly, though.   Tongue

DMF

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46 AM »

Great editing.  We have some real beautiful spots in this province! 
JayDee

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08 PM »

We sure do!  Never realized -- nor believed -- there is actually another kite flier in Atlantic Canada.   Huh  Where do you usually fly?  Are the winds in the HFX/Dartmouth area less sub-optimal than down here?

DMF

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 03:57 PM »

We sure do!  Never realized -- nor believed -- there is actually another kite flier in Atlantic Canada.   Huh  Where do you usually fly?  Are the winds in the HFX/Dartmouth area less sub-optimal than down here?

I've been flying in 3 places. At brightwood golf course in the winter as well as Windsor in some hay fields. The winds are sub optimal for sure. yesterday I set up my kite with the winds blowing prob 15 k.  I then walk 100 yards and they died completely!   In the summer I've been flying in pei the winds shift but are much more consistent in speed. Up until this winter I've flown mainly roks and large soft kites. So I've been trying to rack up some time on 2lines, but our weather has not been great.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 04:20 PM »

JayDee I can put you in touch with some flyers from the Moncton and Sackville area as well....
Make sure that  you mark this festival  the calendar: http://www.cerfvolantdieppe.ca/about_us.cfm
It is a blast with a great group of people....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:23 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document