GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JoE Summer Flying -- and Kayaking  (Read 1294 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37 PM »

Thanks, Rob.  The pics and videos suggest that the focus of the festival is _not exactly_ on stunt kites, but I have put it in my calendar of things not to miss this year.  Shoulda said something more like: "...there is actually another flier of kites with two lines and a couple spars..." WinkWinkWink

Hey, is that Lam Hoac in one of the pictures a couple years back?

Jan

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
JayDee

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 08:46 PM »

yesterday I set up my kite with the winds blowing prob 15 k.  I then walk 100 yards and they died completely!

Yesss!  That is exactly what I keep seeing.  Except, for me it is not unusual that the wind is back at 15 k a minute later, just from the opposite direction.  Makes it pretty hard to fly tricks when you are busy figuring out the wind.   Sad  I was soooo afraid it is only me.  Glad to hear someone else sees the same.

Not sure why you are complaining about the weather, though.  Haven't you gotten to love our Wednesday blizzards?  Another 15 - 25 cm in the forecast (i.e., 1/2 - 7/8 ft.).  Shouldn't keep a hardcore kiter from flying. Wink

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 04:35 AM »

Thanks, Rob.  The pics and videos suggest that the focus of the festival is _not exactly_ on stunt kites, but I have put it in my calendar of things not to miss this year.  Shoulda said something more like: "...there is actually another flier of kites with two lines and a couple spars..." WinkWinkWink

Hey, is that Lam Hoac in one of the pictures a couple years back?

Jan
Oh it is a festival for everyone.... there are sport kiteflyers there.....
I think that lam was there..... Every year the list of  invited flyers is long... there is a cycle to the invitations that corresponds to the Dieppe Canada festival schedule....(every other year the Ca festival is when the Europeans all come because the opposite year they go to the France festival)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JayDee

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37 AM »

I'll be sure to check it out this summer.  Thanks!

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 02:18 PM »

That looks like you have great paddling grounds, too.  Is that somewhere near Barcelona?

Beaches are rather boring compared to rocks -- unless you are a surf paddler like Rob, that is.  I would have issues renting a kayak at most places, since I am not only big, but also tall.  My thighs are much too long for the cockpit in your average  rental kayak, and even with my boat I have to slide in.  It is big enough to accommodate and carry me, but that comes at a cost: It handles like an aircraft carrier Wink  Still a ton of fun, though!

Those places are north of Barcelona. An area of the Catalan coast called Costa Brava with beautiful tiny beaches and bays, cliffs and reefs and some caves. The Mediterranean pine trees daringly hang over the cliffs and live on the humidity of the air blown from the sea and the water has all the colours of blue and green:
http://en.costabrava.org/what-to-do/beaches-what-to-do
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Brava

Many people think that these type of sea scenes can only be found in Mallorca (or Balearic Islands in general) but the Costa Brava is as beautiful.

My wife's family have a house in a lovely fishermen village called "Calella de Palafrugell" and we stay there a couple of weeks every summer:
Cales i camins de ronda de Palafrugell

The type of kayak I rent is usually a double open sea kayak (Gemini or Open Quatro) which is very stable and share the ride with my son or my daughter, so there is no risk of not fitting  Wink   Cheesy

You must come visit this area some time. You will have loads of things to do both at sea or inland:
http://en.costabrava.org/

Cheers!

(P.S. I don't work as a tourist guide or in a travels agent or anything similar  Smiley  )

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
JayDee

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 09:05 PM »

(P.S. I don't work as a tourist guide or in a travels agent or anything similar  Smiley  )

Just for the record:  I don't either.  Which is kind of unfortunate.  If I were a kayak guide, I would be able to enjoy more of the, saddeningly short, paddle season. Tongue  If I were a kiting guide, in contrast, I would have been broke long ago.

Sure looks like I should pay the Costa Brava a visit next time I am in the area.  I was in Barcelona in summer 2012, but that was on business.  No more than an afternoon for tourist activities.  Your links and video did their job of whetting my appetite.  So I will allow more spare time on my next visit.  And I will let you know, so we can fly together.

I can see how a sit-on kayak makes a ton of sense in the Mediterranean.  Around here, though, the convenience of the closed deck of a sit-inside kayak is almost a must.  You would not want to paddle in a wet suit in summer.  But you would not want to be hit by a wave without one either.  Shocked
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:07 PM by JayDee » Logged

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26 PM »

Sure looks like I should pay the Costa Brava a visit next time I am in the area.  I was in Barcelona in summer 2012, but that was on business.  No more than an afternoon for tourist activities.  Your links and video did their job of whetting my appetite.  So I will allow more spare time on my next visit.  And I will let you know, so we can fly together.

The flying will be guaranteed if you come again around this area!  Smiley
And I'm glad I made you curious enough to want to visit the Costa Brava.  Wink

I can see how a sit-on kayak makes a ton of sense in the Mediterranean.  Around here, though, the convenience of the closed deck of a sit-inside kayak is almost a must.  You would not want to paddle in a wet suit in summer.  But you would not want to be hit by a wave without one either.  Shocked

Yes, I understand. I am a bit spoilt in this sense...  Roll Eyes

Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 02:28 AM »

Nice mix of hobbies presented in a very unique way. Great Vid!  Smiley

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
JayDee

Re:
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 07:11 AM »

Thanks Mark! Glad you like it.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document