GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broke My E3. =(  (Read 1542 times)
LifeCycle
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 03, 2014, 12:39 PM »

Hi all, I have an E3 that has a torn stand-off hole on the sail. Along the trailing edge of the E3 there are 4 holes on each side of the wing. It's the second from center on the right side. I tugged a little too hard while it was on the ground to avoid the walk of shame and it ripped. Now I don't know what to do. I don't know how it can be repaired without undoing the whole sail. Does Prism do fixes? Is there something else I can do? I'm going to Australia in May and want to take it with me.
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52 PM »

Post photos
LifeCycle

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:59 PM »

Actually, I think this is an E2. Been outta the game a while and can't even remember the name of my kites. I'll post pics tonight.
SparkieRob

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:14 PM »

Which part of Australia? There are a few flyers down here.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45 AM »

Post up some good pics.  Prism does repairs but they probably wouldn't get your kite back to you in time for your trip.  Depending on how bad the holes are I might be able to help you out.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:06 AM »

and at least one that has a sewing machine too...maybe LifeCycle can talk Kevin into fixing it for him....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07 AM »

Hi all, I have an E3 that has a torn stand-off hole on the sail. Along the trailing edge of the E3 there are 4 holes on each side of the wing. It's the second from center on the right side. I tugged a little too hard while it was on the ground to avoid the walk of shame and it ripped. Now I don't know what to do. I don't know how it can be repaired without undoing the whole sail. Does Prism do fixes? Is there something else I can do? I'm going to Australia in May and want to take it with me.
Where are you located? there might be someone near you that can help out as well....there seem to be more people that are getting comfortable with sewing sport kites...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
LifeCycle

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50 PM »

North Queensland on the Sunshine Coast. Coolum Beach more specifically.
LifeCycle

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53 PM »

Post up some good pics.  Prism does repairs but they probably wouldn't get your kite back to you in time for your trip.  Depending on how bad the holes are I might be able to help you out.

It's not a hole in the sail. It's the trailing edge material that stand-off baton sticks in that connects to lower spreader. There are four holes that the stand-offs fit into depending on wind speeds. One of them I tore from the hole to the trailing edge. Think of it like a person tearing their pierced ear from the hole to the bottom the earlobe. Same thing except this is kite so it's somewhat less painful (contingent upon how much you love the kite).
LifeCycle

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:54 PM »

Where are you located? there might be someone near you that can help out as well....there seem to be more people that are getting comfortable with sewing sport kites...

I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 03:25 PM »

A piece of Insignia tape folded over the trailing edge with a new hole punched may get you back in the air and last long enough for the trip.  Insignia tape is fairly strong and pretty sticky.

Long term I would want a new piece of Dacron sewn across the trailing edge and new holes punched to be as strong as original.

I can send a piece of tape if you don't get a better suggestion.

It's not a hole in the sail. It's the trailing edge material that stand-off baton sticks in that connects to lower spreader. There are four holes that the stand-offs fit into depending on wind speeds. One of them I tore from the hole to the trailing edge. Think of it like a person tearing their pierced ear from the hole to the bottom the earlobe. Same thing except this is kite so it's somewhat less painful (contingent upon how much you love the kite).

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 04:49 PM »

Supergluing the tear in the TE prior to applying the tape will add a lot of strength.

These are not elegant repairs, but will work fine.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:08 PM »

Ok, thats an easy repair.  As Allen said use some superglue.  Use some masking tape on the front to hold the tear together while you glue it and once it is dry remove the tape.  Adding some dacron insignia tape folded over the trailing edge Like Stapp suggested will hide the repair well and add more strength. Just make sure you shape the insignia tape to the dacron reinforcement on the sail and poke the hole for the standoff again.
LifeCycle

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:34 PM »

Wow! Thanks all! I'm cool with re-punching the hole I just need the dacron tape. That makes a lot of sense and it's really just a very small amount. I mean that trailing edge is pretty thin. So, use super glue, dacron tape and then repunch. Just something sharp of very similar diameter to repunch?

Any suggestions on purchasing some black dacron tape? I noticed Prism has a repair kit. Is it in that or is that overkill?
LifeCycle

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36 PM »

BTW, yeah, this is an E2. Custom built for me (just the colors) in 2004. 10 flipping years ago! Ugh, time needs to slow down already!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document