GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 03:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broke My E3. =(  (Read 1654 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 05:46 PM »

I have no idea where you live but you can purchase rolls at any marine store. It is used for temp. repair of boat sails they also have spinnaker repair tape that is ripstop nylon and very thin and flexible.. No matter what you use make sure the area to be fixed is really clean
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:49 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02 PM »

Wow! Thanks all! I'm cool with re-punching the hole I just need the dacron tape. That makes a lot of sense and it's really just a very small amount. I mean that trailing edge is pretty thin. So, use super glue, dacron tape and then repunch. Just something sharp of very similar diameter to repunch?

Any suggestions on purchasing some black dacron tape? I noticed Prism has a repair kit. Is it in that or is that overkill?
If you pm me your addy I can cut you a foot off my roll and send it so you have some for sure.  Prisms repair kit is a good idea as well since it has spare fittings and both Tedlar and dacron tapes but only like 4 inches of each and that gets used up fast.  As for punching the hole use a solder iron so you seal the layers of material together as you punch it.  IF you plan to buy some tape pretty much any sail shop and decent kite shop should carry both insignia tape and Tedlar. I think Kent at wind of change has some and ITW as well.  It's a good idea to have some of each tape and spare fittings for a repair kit.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 10:05 PM »

Don't punch, melt.

Use a nail or wire. Heat on stove ring till really, really hot. Poke through TE to make hole & wiggle a bit to enlarge hole if needed

Allen, AKA kitehead
LifeCycle
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 02:03 PM »

So don't use a soldering iron? Just use a really hot nail or wire?

I'm gonna look for the dacron tape locally. We have a HobbyTown USA here in Tulsa. Maybe they have some or know who does if it doesn't.

Really appreciate the generous help and offers to send me material. I'll exhaust local options first though. I'm sure I can find it. =)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 02:12 PM »

anything hot and pointy. I was typing about the nail while Anthony was typing about the soldering iron.

Allen, AKA kitehead
LifeCycle

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 02:30 PM »

Ahhh, okay, makes sense. I should not have any problems then. Thanks!
JayDee

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 02:34 PM »

I _strongly_ recommend against the use of a soldering iron, unless you have a dedicated tip for jobs like this.  You never want to use a tip that has been used for melting plastic for anything along the lines of creating a proper solder joint.  Depending on the type of plastic you melted, it may either just repel the solder, contaminate the joint with substances you do not wan to have there, or do other funny things.  Take-home message: DON'T!   Cool

Don't get me started on the lengthy story of how I know this  Wink
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:36 PM by JayDee » Logged

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
LifeCycle

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 09:24 AM »

Okay, so I just head up a nail and go that route?

Jaydee, what kite is that in your avatar? That's nice looking.
Ca Ike

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 09:40 AM »

Okay, so I just head up a nail and go that route?

Thats his custom color Skyburner Widowmaker
JayDee

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 09:40 AM »

That is my Widow Maker UL Custom.  A real stunner.   Smiley Smiley Smiley  See here for a bigger version of that picture: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9237.msg81576.  Click on the pics for high resolution.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
LifeCycle

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 12:16 PM »

Excellent! I'll check the pics out now. =)

Nice! Reminds me of my PBSK Warrior.  Sold it. =(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:17 PM by LifeCycle » Logged
LifeCycle

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 02:09 PM »

Hate to ask this but is the dacron tape in Prism's repair kit, black?
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 06:35 PM »

Yes it is but like i said its only about a 3 inch piece.  I have a roll of it so I can send you a foot long strip easily.  Just pm me your addy.

anthony
JayDee

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Nice! Reminds me of my PBSK Warrior.  Sold it. =(

Do you have a picture of your kite?  The pics you find if you google PBSK Warrior are not exactly very similar to my avatar.  Huh

jim-bo
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 07:37 AM »

I have found kite building / repair stuff at a local tent and canvas shop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document