GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 07:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnet build  (Read 1398 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: January 11, 2014, 06:25 PM »

Started months ago, and delayed by my move, I finally was able to get out my partially completed Magnet build for some update photos.  I had been planning a sail like this for quite sometime... sort of a reverse pinstripe motif.  I'm looking forward to completing this as my first step to tackle my giant build list. 

and a strapless tail in the style of Lam Hoac
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:49 PM »

Love it!

Amazing idea and it looks super sharp as well.  Reverse pinstripe - always thinking, you are. 

Let me know when you plan on hitting the hill next.   I haven't seen many familiar faces in some time now, but winter and all that is to be expected. 

No fear, however, DiHong and I keep the field from getting rusty.

6 kite tom
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:57 PM »

reverse pins give a nice sharp detail.  Did you glue it on the pattern then sew seems on each side?
sugarbaker

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45 PM »

As you have speculated, I glued the yellow strips to the back of the sail... Then stitched on either side of where the pinstripe would be.  I then cut out the relief from the front of the sail like an appliqué technique. 
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:38 PM »

Pretty cool pinstrip technique.  That's a long straight line to cut with scissors...

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
sugarbaker

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:45 AM »

Pretty cool pinstrip technique.  That's a long straight line to cut with scissors...

Rather than use scissors, I use a seam cutter.  I just run it along the stitches and it turns our smooth.  I did clean up a few spots with scissors, but for the most part I used the seam ripper technique.

The bigger deal is getting the stitches perfect so they can be used as a guide when cutting out the relief.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:51 AM »

cool!

give us a close-up from your reversed pinstriping, please

is this technique the same as on r-sky's shooter and benson's superfly?

Krijn
sugarbaker

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:21 AM »

more photos to come, but here is the competed kite (bridle tied, but not attached quite yet, and still need to add Moonie Tape for upper spreader wear patch).  Frame is p90 upper leading edge, p100 lower leading edge, 5mm upper spreader, 3pt black diamond lower spreaders, p100 spine.

Curious to see how it flies.  Will have to experiment with ballast. 

I'll post some close ups of the pin-stripes soon (front and back). 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:22 AM by sugarbaker » Logged
sugarbaker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:29 AM »

Krijn,
to answer your question, the end product does look basically like the shooter or superfly UL (although the stripes on my magnet are only 6mm wide, opposed to either of those that appear to have wider stripes) .  I don't know if they reach the result in the same way.  During my sail prep, I layer out the black panels with normal overlapping seams.  I then (before any sewing) glued the yellow strips to the back of the seams.  the strip is exactly 3x the width of the original seam overlap.  When I sew up the sail, I stitch on either side of the original seam (doubling the amount of sewing time).  Then, using a seam cutter, I cut the relief out so the yellow panels show in the front.  The previous picture doesn't do the color justice; it really pops in the sun.
mr wojtas
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41 PM »

Again a sharp looking kite Grin I am wondering how it is going to fly with youre frame choice, a ul type? Can't wait for a movie Cheesy
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:02 PM »

The previous picture doesn't do the color justice; it really pops in the sun.

Very cool,  I bet it has a neon light effect when backlit! 
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22 AM »

thanks for the explanation!

great looking magnet
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document