GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kodak to retire Kodachrome Film after 74 years.  (Read 2070 times)
Charly
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: June 22, 2009, 08:34 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_re_us/us_kodachrome_s_demise

You knew it was coming with this digital world we live in.  I would love to have a dime for every roll I developed over 30 years...lol

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06 PM »

Film is like disco, I know its still around, I just can't understand why.
I sure don't miss bulk loaders or the hours in the dark room.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:53 PM »

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:47 PM »

Good lord whats my uncle gonna do with all his film cameras.
Ya'll still got a few of ur film bodies laying around?
STACKflyer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:56 AM »

im going to go pick up a few rolls today.  I think I have shot some in the past.  Great color!

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29 AM »

FYI,

It's only Kodachrome being discontinued, there will still be other 35mm formats still available (for now at least) print (C41) and other E6 films i.e. 'slide films'...

The thing with Kodachrome is it has a dedicated process, exclusive to Kodak, so Stack, if your going to pick it up, shoot it quick, and get it off to them fast Wink Or you can pick up a roll of Fuji Velvia (50 or 100 iso) and take your time about it, it's a top film and the E6 process will be around for a while longer I'd guess.

WinterDaze AoF
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:50 AM »

All things must come to an end.

Kodachrome is one of those old technologies that should have been supplanted years ago but couldn't be topped. It's extremely sharp and extremely stable because it is actually black & white film. It's has a three layer silver halide emulsion which does not have the color components built in like other negative and positive color film. This makes for a thinner emulsion and tighter grain. It also makes for an ungodly complicated and finicky chemical process. There have never been more than a few Kodachrome labs in the country at any given time.

E6 film got better and better and by end of the '80s there was finally real competition for Kodachrome from Fuji. While the top E6 films were excellent, Kodachrome still had a unique look. It's color pallete, tonbal range and detail were just different from anything. And AFAIK it still is the most stable color emulsion.

God, how much money did I spend of Kodachrome and processing...

It was worth it.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
STACKflyer

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40 PM »

well, im going to pick up processing tomorrow.  I will see if they have any.  Now, I wonder how much the processing will be.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 01:01 AM »

As I understand it there has only been one lab processing Kodachrome for a while here in the States. Kodachrome had declined to 1% of Kodaks film sales. Or what 0.25% of total film sales? Sad, but I think its time was done.  Digital surpassed 35mm films resolution a few years back. Polaroid film became extinct last year too and there were some nice versions of it.

Hey I used to enjoy the time in the darkroom, loading the film cans was especially a challenge in complete and total darkness, sort of cozy, and I miss the smells too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document