GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 05:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psycho revisited  (Read 3300 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18 PM »

I always thought a stranger would make an interesting sul project.
Love the psychos

Sine Metu!
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2014, 03:39 AM »

I think Allen mentioned that also.  May take a different direction with the Stranger and try the Nitro lites.

With 10 grams tail weight the Psycho rolls up quickly and easily.  The only thing that kite is missing is a deep turtle but I shouldn't expect a kite to lay on its back for long in 15+ winds  Cheesy

Love the psychos

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
stapp59

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 08:16 PM »

Probably aren't too many of these out there, a modded Psycho UL in pink.  Cool I built this on a whim after flying the Psycho stack which does well in 8+ and wondered how low a lighter Psycho would fly.  The P200/P300/5PT std weighs 8.5 oz rtf while the P90/P100/3PT UL comes in at 6.4 oz rtf.  2 oz is a lot for kite this size so it should be interesting.  Starting with 10gr tail weight as in the std.  To recap, the changes include:

- Icarex sail
- Skyshark frame
- Leech line
- 1" longer keel
- Tail weight
- yo-yo stoppers
- R-sky T
- Radically sane bridle Smiley

I like the pink much better than I thought I might.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:31 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2014, 08:58 PM »

Looks great Steve!
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 03:25 AM »

Very nice I like the pink it looks good with the black and white. Should be an interesting fly, a high wind kite with a light wind frame. I reckon it could be a bit of fun...

Mike
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2014, 03:41 AM »

You really have a great looking design!  Hows your video making research coming? Wink
stapp59

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2014, 12:26 PM »

Tied the bridle this morning, finished the bag, and headed out to find a field and some wind.

First we need to redefine terms.  The P200/P300/5PT is a high wind Psycho good from 8 mph to who knows.  The P90/P100/3PT is the Std Psycho as it flies in the same winds as the Exile Std. I would not be surprised if it has a higher usable max wind range than the Exile making this Psycho one of the highest wind rated UL framed kite out there. Ha!

Seriously this one flies just like a lighter version of the kite, fully capable, a little more float, flies in a little lower winds, and has a lighter feel.  Am not sure a true UL is possible with this design nor do I really see the point.  I will keep it in the A bag with the HW Psycho and fly it in sane winds when I need a change of pace from the Exile fleet.

Speaking of the Exile project, several have asked and there is more to report on that front.

Like many kites, the Psycho was retired before its time.  With a little updating there is lots of life left in that design.  Another score for sure....

Coogee, most every color looks good with black and white.  Smiley

Dana, on the video front I'm bummed gopro does not make a brim mount for the Tilley Sad  Huh  May have to rig something up...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:33 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34 PM »

Love the psychos

Flexi made a Stranger with a Poly sail and Skyshark 5P frame. Certainly lighter than the stock nylon 6mm pulltrude version but much stiffer. More a "pro" version than a UL but must have had a better bottom end. I've never found one, but would like to. I've read mixed reviews. Some really hated the stiffer frame.

Allen, AKA kitehead
skb

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2014, 01:00 PM »

I had the Stranger UL, liked it better than the Standard.
The Sky Shark frame was a lot less noodley than the stock one and the Icarex sail didn't get baggy and heavy in our damp Fall/Winter weather.

Think it went to rod247.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
stapp59

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2014, 05:22 PM »

"Seriously this one flies just like a lighter version of the Psycho, fully capable, a little more float, flies in a little lower winds, and has a lighter feel.  Am not sure a true UL is possible with this design nor do I really see the point."

To clarify the above statement, I'm confident that adding another standoff to each side widening and flattening the tunnel TE profile would improve the low wind abilities of the Psycho and I may do just that.  Of course at some point it's no longer a Psycho but something a bit different.

I had particular goals in mind with the Psycho and Exile projects.  No such goal with the Stranger, just wanted to experience the kite and go from there.  At this time I have no immediate plans for the Stranger.  If someone really wanted to take on the reframe project, I could make the sail available and use the existing P200 frame in another project.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:47 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

skb

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2014, 06:54 PM »

^PM sent

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
stapp59

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2014, 07:08 PM »

Replied  Smiley

^PM sent

Steve in Indiana

stapp59

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2014, 08:39 PM »

Stranger sail spoken for.  Pink Psycho TE updated and ready to test two standoffs per side. 

"Seriously this one flies just like a lighter version of the Psycho, fully capable, a little more float, flies in a little lower winds, and has a lighter feel.  Am not sure a true UL is possible with this design nor do I really see the point."

To clarify the above statement, I'm confident that adding another standoff to each side widening and flattening the tunnel TE profile would improve the low wind abilities of the Psycho and I may do just that.  Of course at some point it's no longer a Psycho but something a bit different.

I had particular goals in mind with the Psycho and Exile projects.  No such goal with the Stranger, just wanted to experience the kite and go from there.  At this time I have no immediate plans for the Stranger.  If someone really wanted to take on the reframe project, I could make the sail available and use the existing P200 frame in another project.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:46 PM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

DD

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2014, 08:58 PM »

I had the Stranger UL, liked it better than the Standard.
The Sky Shark frame was a lot less noodley than the stock one and the Icarex sail didn't get baggy and heavy in our damp Fall/Winter weather.

Think it went to rod247.

Hmmm now i want one

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document